So what is a good general size tank

ineke

• HOF Member

Hi all,

i have 3 shrimp tanks, 2 20 litre cubes I am going to use as selective breeding tanks, 1 34 litre tall tank as a general holding tank and now I want one more as a display for the ones I have bred. What is a good general size. I don't want a really tall tank as I am short and the bigger the tank gets the deeper it gets. This will probably be the last tank I can get so I want to get anice one. Do they make bigger cubes? What size do most of you find big enough without going huge?

I personally think 2-3 ft are a good size tank.

Large enough to maintain stable water parameters easier and small enough to keep well maintained and filtered without having to go to the extreme end of the filter scale.

They're also a good size for chillers and keeping temperature in control.

I run 1.5ft and find that they are a good size for water parameters, however the temp can fluctuate 2-3c within an hour if I don't keep a good eye on the tank and ambient temp and use the cooling fans.

With that said it may be a different story if I was running a real chiller.

But yeah, Overall I think 2-3ft is a good sized Shrimp tank.

I've always liked 2x1.5x1.5 or 3x1.5x1.5, they're not too big, got nice dept & width, very versatile size :D

Hi ineke, tank size is dependable upon our vigilance in filter maintenance and WC etc... Generally 30-60lt is a nice size, but a larger tank would always give you the option to split/divide them... as many others including myself have once too said...."this would probably be my last tank"..LOL

My tanks are generally 300-400mm high, so not deep whatsoever. My LFS, sell 30x30x30cm cubes....

• HOF Member

Ha ha Squiggle!!!!! I'm amazed the other half is agreeable to me getting another tanK!!!

Triggs I've already noticed the temp swings in the cubes. So 2-3foot sounds good . My fish are in a 30 inch but it is as tall as a3 footer it was custom made a few years ago.

Bluebolts I haven't seen any bigger cubes here but I do like the look of the cubes. My 30" holds 120 litres because it is a bit deeper than usual so water temp and water conditions are easily maintained.

So over brekkey we discussed what to do and as I have a slightly overcrowded fish tank I will probably get a bigger tank for them leaving me the 30 inch for the shrimp. Then we are happy all round.

I won't be getting a chiller as I am only having Cherries at this stage. Although I have noticed some cheap crs and CBS on gumtree and might try a few at some time

I am home most of the year so water and filter changes are not a problem. We travel during SA winter for up to 6 weeks or so but I will buy extra moss for the tanks and put in air stones plus timers for the lights we should be OK.

Will get my son to feed a few shrimp pellets once a week and hope for the best!!!

Oh and hubby said to use the spare bedroom as my fish room so I might just be able to sneak another tank in at a later date and when he asks where it came from I will just say what that old thing why I've had that for ages.lol

Lol, these are the great philosophical questions aren't they, how long is a piece of string? What's the sound of one hand clapping? If a tree falls in the forest will a greenie be sitting in it? Who came first, the surfboard or the surfer?:D

• HOF Member

Thanks Loach,

Will do a round of some aquarium stores during the week but I might see if I can buy a second hand setup for the fish although that price is pretty cheap