JonX- Shrimp Tank

JonX

Very nice Johnny looks like you ended up getting the 5 pack of BB's, I am also getting the odd berried girl dying on me, really don't know what the problem is as heaps of other girls are dropping their babies everywhere. 2 this month now! today it was a berried tiger damn it! Hope the artificial hatching of eggs works.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonX

• Squiggle

• CNgo2006

• BlueBolts

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh man, you had berried tiger die? That would suck! Yeah scratching my head, all water parameters are fine.

I should ask my mrs for another tank! haha

I did alot of damage to my bank account starting with this taiwan and tiger bee stock! I hope I get as much fun and success with them as I do with my crystal shrimp.

Yeah was really pissed as WP were fine, along with the successes there will be a few deaths that's just how it is...just pray that the success outweighs the disappointments. LOL!

Yeah was really pissed as WP were fine' date=' along with the successes there will be a few deaths that's just how it is...just pray that the success outweighs the disappointments. LOL![/quote']

i got ya back bro :)

i just purchased a really nice dark blue oebt girl

i got ya back bro :)

i just purchased a really nice dark blue oebt girl

Thanks Garry I always knew I could rely on you...BROooooooo!

Yeah that's what I say, 'make sure you have heaps so that if one dies, you have heaps to replace it'. In saying that, one of my pandas died a few days after I introduced it into the crystal shrimp tank- the new tank had trace amounts of ammonia and I didn't want to risk it. Still, lost a couple of hundred just like that!

Yeah that's what I say' date=' 'make sure you have heaps so that if one dies, you have heaps to replace it'. In saying that, one of my pandas died a few days after I introduced it into the crystal shrimp tank- the new tank had trace amounts of ammonia and I didn't want to risk it. Still, lost a couple of hundred just like that![/quote']

Hurts doesn't it? But once you have little ones running around the tank it eases the pain so much more...

Get those lids on guys

will also stop evaporation

all it takes is 1 little bit of incense,purfume,cologne

could even be from the mrs with the cleaning products

i have banished the mrs $200 a bottle purfume to the spare room

just remember if you can smell it then its in the air :)

Get those lids on guys

will also stop evaporation

all it takes is 1 little bit of incense' date='purfume,cologne

could even be from the mrs with the cleaning products

i have banished the mrs $200 a bottle purfume to the spare room

just remember if you can smell it then its in the air :)[/quote']

Yeah I have lids on all my tanks but there will always be some way, just like the toxic fumes incident I had a while back, even with lids on it almost wiped out all my shrimp.

@Johnny if you want to clean up a few of these posts go for it as it is a journal correct?

It's part of my journal chi. All good. It is hard to put lids on with breeder boxes, air intake, and filter hoses in my tank. I'm still thinking of a way how to.

Awesome looking shrimp dude, :encouragement: spewing about the losses for both of you guys :dejection:

It's part of my journal chi. All good. It is hard to put lids on with breeder boxes' date=' air intake, and filter hoses in my tank. I'm still thinking of a way how to.[/quote']

Maybe you can get acrylic or clear plastic lids and cut out the parts where the breeders and lines, etc go. I have plastic lids on mine, just used a saw and drill etc to cut of bits so the boxes, etc can fit snugly.

I like having no lids, it aids evaporation which helps to lower the temperatures, just need a top up with RO then in small quantities. I loose maybe 2 - 3 litres per week tops.

And with using air filters you're always going to have fumes as you're pumping in air, that's the other reason I switched back to internal filters, that and the noise from running large air pumps.

Jon, did you quarantine the PRL before letting it loose in the tank? Do you run UV filtration?

I had unexplained deaths for a very long time until I was down to only a handful of shrimp. After months and months of devastation I got a UV filter and deaths stopped.

I always quarantine new stock for a minimum of 2 weeks in a hand on breeder on the tank they are going into.

Hey fox, mystery deaths have occurred before the prl was introduced.

I might try a uv filter. Im trying everything.

Jonny, I experienced the same problem last year and it wiped out most of my CRS and CBS colonies. I too tried everything, and contacted different members via PM for advice. I also bought UV sterilisers for the affected tanks. Initially I thought they helped, but the deaths continued for quite some time afterwards. I'm convinced that there is a bacterial-type infection going around, that may not be waterborne.

To often you read on the forum about people having slow die-offs when they seem to be following the exact same routines as others and their water parameters are in the safe zone. I believe because we trade shrimp around so frequently that the problem is so common.

My tanks have been stable for some time now and I have lots of shrimplets surviving etc, but I will wait a few more months before I can say that I'm convinced the trouble is over.

I believe the problem is cause by bacterial infection from adding new shrimps to the tank. With my new rack, I try to avoid this as much as possible. I have 3 bloodline of tb ATM and I will mix them for the next 2 years untill I add new bloodline.

I really like Benibachi Super Fine grain soil. I purchased it keeping in mind that the grain size would be small enough for the shrimp to pick it up and forage off from it.

Here is a clip of some tigers doing so. =)

http://youtu.be/VSyiVvqvp9E

She looks like she's trying to dig her way to China! I have UV steralisers but still didn't help with berried girls dying! Really P'ing me off!

She looks like she's trying to dig her way to China! I have UV steralisers but still didn't help with berried girls dying! Really P'ing me off!

The big blue is a he. Wish it was a she!

The big blue is a he. Wish it was a she!

You sure looks like it has a curved belly unless it is just the camera angle?