JonX- Shrimp Tank

JonX

This is what happens when I don't work. I take pictures and photos of the shrimp.

Looks like a female. Hope to see some berries soon.

20130215014428.jpg

Video of her.

http://youtu.be/6pdTsmDG_jI

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonX

• Squiggle

• CNgo2006

• BlueBolts

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great Shrimp Johnny!

Those yellows look like they are having a FEAST haha

Emboli the yellows are doing very well. I am going to put the 2 snow whites I have left in with the yellows. One is heavily saddled, the other is coming up to size and I think shes a female too. So I got 3 females off you. One committed suicide and crawled out with berries. She escaped with her boyfriend without a trace.

Im still chasing a male for the two I have left. If I cant then they will breed with sss cbs males that I already have -I would rather breed them back with snow white.

Lonely girl

post-1377-139909859684_thumb.jpg

post-1452-139909848246_thumb.jpg

Pair of Red Rubees would have been great but these aren't bad as well, very nice actually. At least you didn't end up with a pair of red cherries lol!

So as you have all heard my shrimp did the crazy sexy dance and as a result my flower head is berried. I haven't seen my SS no entry so I suspect she is berried aswell.

*UPDATE 27 Feb - SS no entry has re appeared with berries.

Blue velvet female has nice saddle developed.

So to this date I have 4 berried females.

female male

C grade CBS x snow white or SS CBS

SSS grade CRS x SS or SSS CRS

SS grade CBS x SSS CBS

All the plants and shrimp are growing and seem healthy. I don't do water changes only top up with some rain water and the TDS is at 130.

Here are updated pictures.

Full tank shot

post-24-139909859749_thumb.jpg

post-24-139909859752_thumb.jpg

Middle CRS division

post-816-139909849382_thumb.jpg

post-2226-139909859755_thumb.jpg

1st division.

[ATTACH]2219[/ATTACH]

post-1452-139909848366_thumb.jpg

post-1452-13990984837_thumb.jpg

post-1452-139909848375_thumb.jpg

post-1452-139909848378_thumb.jpg

post-1452-139909848383_thumb.jpg

Looking good mate. How do u go with chiller? I decommissioned my divided 4 ft.cause my chiller would cause too much flow

Looking good mate. How do u go with chiller? I decommissioned my divided 4 ft.cause my chiller would cause too much flow

Thanks oz. The chiller is one of the reasons I have no deaths in the tank. It keeps the water temperature constantly 23.5 degrees.

My cube without the chiller has a temperature range of 23 to 29 degrees depending on the ambient weather. This fluctuation would definitely kill the high grades in my experience and opinion. I have natives in the cube and they are a bit more tolerant to temperature changes.

The divided tank is only 76 liters and I run it with the Jbj Antarctica chiller with an Eheim Proffessional 2 which is rated for a 650 liter tank and has a pump output of 1000 plus liters an hour. The returning flow comes out like a strong hose turned on.

I reduce this flow by wrapping the spray bar with white wool sponge media. The intake connected to a sponge which further reduces the flow and adds the benefits of being a pre filter and producing microfilm for the shrimp to eat.

Video: Some of my females.

saddled snow white

SSS grade CRS flower head

SS grade CBS crown head

C grade CBS

http://youtu.be/j3N5nAqu1xk

Mum

201302270036331.jpg

Young dad

20130225191800.jpg

Snow White and the Seven Yellows - witnessed her moult 10 seconds later the little snow white did the dirty dance on her. Now I know I have a 100% pair.

201302252355461.jpg

very smart method in terms of wrapping the spray bar.

Thats the reason i didnt use my divided tank :( kinda wish i did now cause i would of saved $120 lol

Finally 3 months of being saddled, she's berried. It was a hard cause to get a partner for her. My first male disappeared without a trace with the other berried female, her replacement was not good enough quality and no one else answered my call for a quality snow white male. I was so tempted to breed her with my SSS CBS.

While on the phone last night I saw her moult and within 10 seconds the other little snow white with her did the harlem shake with her. This morning I see berries.

February has been a good month for me. I have 5 berried crystal shrimp. :congratulatory::congratulatory:

First time mum

20130228073034001.jpg

stud male

20130228070514.jpg

February, the start of the Chinese New Year has been very good to me.

There has been a lot of hours of staring into the tank and these are my first crystal shrimp berries. I am very happy.

Went to Aquaristic today, picked up 10 pygmy cory's. There's still 2 or 3 left at the store, I feel slack, I'm going to go back tomorrow and get the rest of them.

They are tiny, adult shrimp are bigger than them. I am keeping them in the nano cube with the natives. They swim around in groups and every so often one makes a dash to the surface for air. They have found the feeding dish and like to hang around in their now. =)

Not the best colour or patterned cory, but very cute and good characteristics.

20130303165808.jpg20130303170251.jpg20130303204902.jpg

They are so tiny- 10 doesn't look like much.

20130303213443.jpg

Side view of the cube. Need to get a black background, maybe thinking about removing the staurogen at the front and replacing with HC.

20130303213537.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a C02 set up for a while but have never set it up. On Sunday I rigged it up to my nano cube. Never tried it before, I wonder how it goes.

I also put my Up Aqua Z series on the cube.

It's now stocked with 10 pygmy corys, 10 tiny galaxy rasboras, 5 gold pencil fish and 2 peppermint catfish. They are very fun to watch. There are also various native shrimp species.

Here's a quick video:

http://youtu.be/HPRxaXZhINE