MegaEbi - New shrimp addict and proud.

megaebiedk911

Thanks for having me along to the forum. Looking forward to seeing all your shrimp paradises and learning all the tips and tricks for quality cbs breeding before moving into keeping high end shrimp.

At the moment I'm breeding chameleon (ninja) shrimp, painted red cherries and having a crack at breeding ottos. I've quite a few fish tanks and plans to expand with a shrimp tank rack in the process of being built. I'll whack up a tank journal as it all comes together.

Peace, Megaebi. :encouragement:

Hi Megaebi, welcome to SKF. Welcome done in having a grand plan..... Looking fwd to your tank journal.

Welcome to SKF mate.

Sounds like you've done plenty of research and reading which will ensure a great start and enjoyment of the hobby.

I'm sure you will find lots of great information, inspiration and helpful friendly people on SKF.

I really look forward to checking out your threads and setups!

Take it easy :)

Welcome mate, this is definitely a place of wise shrimp keepers, not me yet but I'm workin on it :D

Welcome to SKF megaebi! Grand plan indeed! I myself am doing a slimier thing starting with cherry's and working my way up to owning my favorites... Orange eye blue tigers and Bluebolts! do you have any pictures of your setup? I'm sure everyone is keen to see! I'd love to see your painted red cherries!

Just for 100% transparency. I'm edk911 from the other forum and from ************ I used a different name here so I could join without causing problems but since the admins are now aware its probably best that everyone else is too.

I'm not here to cause any problems, spy, steal content or sow discord. I'm politicly neutral and everyone should feel free to keep an eye on me to make sure I'm well behaved here. I'm not here to be involved in or cause any animosity, I'm simply a MASSIVE MASSIVE shrimp enthusiast and want to the chance to learn, share and be part all the shrimp communities here in AU. I'm all about the hobby and helping others to join, learn and get involved.

Thanks for reading and I hope we can all be friends and allies in making this hobby as popular in australia as it is in many other countries.

Hi mega. I dont think being a member of the other forum will be a problem but honesty is always the best way. I hope you find this forum as helpful and generous as I have. We are all here to learn and increase the quality of shrimp in Australia, always good to have new members with their own experiences and knowledge. Share some pics especislly of the reds as their is a few of us looking for real painted or fire reds.

Cheers mick

Hey mate, welcome to SKF.

I can vouch for you being a good bloke. Having met with you and chatted with you on a few occasions I think you will fit in here nicely.

Cheers,

D

Thanks everyone for the welcome. Can't wait to get stuck in to my tank rack and post up a journal. I've just come back from bunnings with the shelving unit I'll be using and if the missus wasn't getting back @3 I'd be starting on assembly right now :) In the meantime heres the first 2 of the tanks and the sump that will form the start of this system.

8413823968_ea35b43bc5_c.jpg

...I'm simply a MASSIVE MASSIVE shrimp enthusiast ...

G'day megaebiedk911, you got us at the above statement....LOL. Heavyd, great that you can vouch for a mate too.

No doubt you'll find the members of SKF, and the forum extremely informative, and a great community.

Building a tank rack is always exciting and fun, and look forward to updates.... What shrimps are you planning for these tanks ?

Building a tank rack is always exciting and fun' date=' and look forward to updates.... What shrimps are you planning for these tanks ?[/quote']

As a start I'll be selecting the best pairs from my tanks to set up breeding the below

tank1 compartment1 - CBS A-S

tank1 compartment2 - YCS

tank2 compartment1 - CRS A-S

tank2 compartment2 - Red Rili

tank3 display tank YCS, CBS, Chameleon, DRNS & DAE with loads of plants.

Once I'm happy with the system I'll add more tanks.

Sounds great. The YCS in tank3 won't X with those other shrimps listed, so really it's a selective breeding tank for the YCS...which theoriticaly means that your tank1 compartment 2 is FREE for another variant....unless of course you have other plans ? ...just a thought and suggestion....

True, perhaps I should go for Black cherries or Chocolates in there.

Sounds great. The YCS in tank3 won't X with those other shrimps listed' date=' so really it's a selective breeding tank for the YCS...which theoriticaly means that your tank1 compartment 2 is FREE for another variant....unless of course you have other plans ? ...just a thought and suggestion....[/quote']

Don't CRS, and Tee bees breed better by themselves?

I've read that cherries will out compete and out breed the other shrimp species and slow the success of CRS, tee bees, etc.

I've got my first compartment devoted to yellow cherries, and am thinking about another species after I am successful with crystal shrimp.

BTW. Hi Ben. =)

The out-breeding of a shrimp species by another in a mixed tank is only a problem in a tank that is not managed well.

If you are running selective breeding tanks, then in theory you will be culling and keeping only the best shrimp

to further improve the lines. TB are slow breeders and should be kept to a tank by them selves anyway.

cherries do breed much faster than crystals but if your breeding for quality and not quantity it shouldn't be a problem.

running individual tanks for each species if you have the tanks is always a better way to go though :)

Don't CRS' date=' and Tee bees breed better by themselves? [/quote']

I'm a breeder of TB/Tiger's and a collector of cherries. All my tanks are focused on selectively breeding the TB's/Tiger's, BUT each tank has a cherry variant. I ensure the cherry population remain's >20, and selectively cull them.

Commercial breeders looking to maximise breeding potential & shrimplet survival will no doubt have them individually housed, but that's not for me.....

They do co-exist really well, and never noticed any real aggression between the species, except for the occasional squabble over food, but that's natural and happens within the same species.

running individual tanks for each species if you have the tanks is always a better way to go though :)

I'm already skating on very thin ice with keeping my tanks at my girlfriends apartment. I've told her the day I get my house I'll have my own shrimproom/ man-cave and she will never see me again. =)

I hear ya JonX. I pitch this rack as a way to combine and downsize the area of space this hobby takes up in order to get permission ;)

Here's a closer pic of the tank design and a quick question to get input. Should I remove the weir and just use a standing pipe drain ? I can see big problems trying to shrimp-proof the overflow into the weir.

8413830034_c5f3d663db_c.jpg