Peppy's New Custom Cube

Peppy_11

Hi Guys,

I was going to wait to start this when i had more exciting pics, but just cant wait. . . . First time doing a journal.

This one is a replacement of my nearly 2ft cube I shut down due to itjust being way too tall to maintain (Im barely 150cms tall). I have alsodeveloped an interest in reef tanks and marine shrimp, so I have had a customnano reef built to match my new shrimp tank ;)

My shrimp are currently being babysat by the lovely Brado, but I’mreally looking forward to getting them back, plus making a few much neededpurchases of higher quality stock.

If you have any advice or comments, please don’t hesitate to let meknow, as I’m experienced, but nowhere near a pro.

Tank: 40cm custom braceless cube with bevelled edges, blacksilicone and rear panel painted black

Cabinet: Custom ADA style black

Lighting: Clip on LED with inbuilt fans

Filtration: Aqua One Nautilus 600 with inline heater and Hailea130-A Chiller, as well as maybe an air driven sponge

Substrate: Benibachi normal with a top layer of Benibachi fine

Scape: Gold vine driftwood covered in Common Java, NL Java,Windelov (Lace) Java, Bolbitus and anubias nana petite. Also a bit of US Fissidencos it’s my favourite J

Water: RO with Salty Bee Shrimp Minerals

Currently waiting on my cabinet to be finished which seems to be takingages, and my tank to be finished and ready to be picked up as there was a holdup with the arrival of the black silicone. But I have all my gear ready andwaiting, and my plant holding tank, which was kindly donated by someone who putit out for roadside collection (SCORE) is nearly full, still need more plants tho. Please stay tuned for the arrival of the last two components J then we will be off and racing :onthego:

My Gear:

Kirsten007_zpsa77e6960.jpg

My plants:

Kirsten004_zpsde8b47a1.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Peppy_11

• Squiggle

• JonX

• al4n

Top Posters In This Topic

That ALL looks really exciting...must be difficult waiting for the tank/stand... only think you should get is some benibachi mineral powder for the base of the tank. Presume the ten in the middle is a in-line heater ? Can also consider a UV ?

Looking fwd to this journal for sure...

Yer ive seen people using mineral powder. Does that go under the substrate? And Yer thought of an inline uv, but with canister pumpin through the chiller and heater, i thought it would put too much pressure on the canister?

IMO, definitely mineral powder under the substrate...not critical or a MUST, but highly recommended.

A inline UV wouldn't restrict the flow much at all......I haven't got them in all my tanks, only in my breeding racks.

I have that same light! Did you work out if it can be program it to run at 50percent power with the computer?

I have trouble reading following the translated chinese- doesn't make sense. =)

Haha no i definately have not. Was goin to c if the lfs could work it out. If not looks like im gonna have some serious lighting lol.

Geee hmm think we gonna hav to find a tech geek to work em out. I like lots of light but i dnt wanna fry my shrimp

Hey Dean. They are only in containers cos the holding tank they are in only has an undergravel filter and not enough gravel to secure them down. I will be attaching them to my goldvine this week :)

Hi Guys. Finally got my tank on the weekend. Still waiting for my cabinet so it is currently sitting on my reef cabinet until it arrives. Not long now hopefully

Tank:

20130210_003_zps3de29e7e.jpg

Tank Painted and on Cabinet:

20130210_006_zpsb3959703.jpg

Sorry for the phone pics :/

tank looks nice kirst! looks pretty good on the stand its on aswell :) i reckon you should just filll it get ur cycle on!!

I cant lol. Its not the right cabinet. The shrimp cabinet looks the same but is different inside to be able to fit my chiller and canister in.

Oh, and JonX, the cabinet is 850mm high. Designed it this way so i dont have to bend down heaps to see my shrimp, but not too tall to be able to do maintenence.

850 is good. I dont like bending down to look at my shrimp. The 400mm ottoman I bought to sit on still doesnt make ideal viewing.

Quick update. Tank isn’t full yet so don’t get too excited,cabinet should arrive on the weekend as the hot weather has made it near impossible to paint. I sat down last night and fiddled around with my plantsand vinewood, and constructed my centrepiece for the tank, and put the soil in and light on. Any feedback welcome as long as its not about my crappy photography lol

Tank:

002_zpsa1d1aa85.jpg

Scaped Wood:

001_zps216ad034.jpg