Forumsnow

I have been into shrimp keeping for the past 6 months and am currently housing oebt and fire reds. Will be starting a 20 long in the spring to house Taiwan bees.

G'Day and welcome to SKF....where's the Hood ? Love to see some pics of your OEBT and firereds......

Yes, TB's definitely the next hurdle ....

Hey thanks for the warm welcomes. Sorry I am not from "hood" was being dumb, actually from Connecticut in the USA. I tried to change my location in my profile but it will not let me. Sorry once again, just wanted to meet some fellow shrimp keepers from around the world.

I want to keep shadow pandas and blue bolts eventually. The pandas have come down to $25 in my country which is pretty cheap. I say blue bolts eventually because they are still going for $80-100 for nice ones. Plus my wife and I have a baby do any day now so I have to wait to set up the tank.

5426AEAC-698C-4B04-91D3-2E7F15E92F96-1586-00000453D9CDF6E1_zpsf86a5868.jpg

That is one of my oebt's, I've had them for a little over a month and they are doing great! Have not lost a single one. My supreme reds on the other hand were dying like crazy when I first got them but have not had a death in 3 weeks since I started using 100% ro/di. There are currently 12 oebt, 5 saddled and one lonely male supreme red in my 12 long.

Very nice to meet you all and can't wait to see how people on the other side of the pond keep shrimp!

wow very interesting! 100% ro di you say? what are the wp there? it's very interesting to read that as cherries prefer hard water down here

Welcome to SKF Forumsnow...Wow, you on the other side of the world...Amazing...Be great if you can rattle down some figures on the prices of shrimp available in the US...CJ

Hey gbang, the cherries do prefer harder water up here too but I am much more focused on the tigers. I also should have been more clear. I remineralize my deionized water with shirakura ca+. My parameters are ph 7.0 gh 6 kh 2 nitrate 0 and tds around 190. The cherries are surviving I have 4 saddled female cherries and only 1 mail but no berries or babies yet.

As far as prices go

neos- for the more common ones $2-3 and then they go up to like the carbon rillis $15

regular tigers - around $5 maybe a little less

oebts- usually $10 or a little more but I got mine for a steal for $5

black tigers-$20 and up

blue bolts-$60 for low grade can get real nice $80-100

panda and bkk- guy has them for $25 also wine reds for this.

We don't really get any pintos or tibees.

If you want to know any others just ask. How do they compare to your prices? Can't wait to be able to see more of this forum, I really like how it's setup. Hope I don't offend anyone being on an Australian site and being from the US.

Nice to meet you all.

No one here will be offended. It is great to have some over seas perspective! In australia its illegal to import shrimp so prices are alot higher for us! Welcome to the SKF!

International members are fantastic, as it updates this forum on the international scene. Once you have enough post, or better still, become a paid/premium member AUD+$12.50, all the sections will be open. We also have a list of $ (Buy & Sell section) for all shrimps in Australia. The $ here are a lot more then overseas, but reducing steadily as the hobby grows. KK use to be AUD$1,200+ 12 months ago, now they're approx. $350......however bluebolts are approx. $400, so unlike the overseas markets where BB is x2-3 times more, they're pretty much on par here. Last $ for OEBT's are AUD$250.

I

Last $ for OEBT's are AUD$250.

Marcus

How long do you think the price will drop down like our Connecticut counterpart (wishful thinking) ???

Marcus

How long do you think the price will drop down like our Connecticut counterpart (wishful thinking) ???

When the shrimp import ban is lifted (aka probebly never)

When the shrimp import ban is lifted (aka probebly never)

You're right aquathumb about shrimp import ban not lifting, but can't help dreaming lol CJ

Welcome to the forum, damn that's some good prices in the US & that's one big ass pond you're talkin, lol, never heard the Pacific called that, very cool :D

Wow your prices are crazy! I thought we had it bad haha. The lower prices are really driven by "hobbyists" importing and breeding there own shrimp. There's this guy who's screen name is speedie408 over on theplantedtank that is bringing prices way down! I cannot wait to set up my tb tank. My son is due on the 18th of this month so I really just will not have the time to set up another tank for a little while haha. Big snow storm going on here right now so I had time to snap some pics:-)

Show down over blanched zuc A4A3FB90-2210-4873-87C4-2F207409AB68-2183-000005393AA49608_zps510d7f85.jpg

Supreme red cherrie EFB449F1-0780-4886-BF52-FE7533854A46-9113-00000F059F379CEC.jpg

Drool, drool, drool, Love your shrimp .good luck with the little boy, let us know how things go congratulations to you and your wife. Enjoy SKF you are most welcome. Wayne

Wishing I was in a country that would allow importing of shrimp atm...Welcome and please keep us updated when possible.

Thanks guys really appreciate it, I am beyond excited, any day now. Speaking of babies, after a month and a week exactly with my oebt I saw my first saddle last night! It is very small as it is her first time. I suspect quite a few more of them are saddled but are to dark to see. Here's a pic with the saddled and a non saddled.

75806DEC-A0B2-4340-98E3-4900EED0B1CC-3009-00000969E1D7EF25_zps6e0f7ede.jpg

Very nice shrimp and I can understand the excitment with each berry, I don't think it ever goes away.

And congrats and best of luck with your new two legged family member

Thank you all for the warm welcome. It's been a little while since I posted on here and I have great news! No my son was not born yet even though his due date was yesterday. Instead I got shrimp babies in the way :-) Just this past weekend I had 3 oebt and 2 supreme reds berry. So very happy, hopefully I get some babies to survive! Here's a pic of a berried mommy.

4A3AC38F-3C1B-44BB-897B-05A23DA28466-5419-000010E1B0FB73AB_zps30006b47.jpg

Nervous few hours/days....congrats in advance, and get plenty of sleep while you can.

Just make sure your GH is 6+, andf your shrimplets will be fine... Are there any red or super tigers in your parts of the world ?

Haha thank you, I can't wait :-) Umfortunately I am not getting to much sleep already as my wife is 4 days past her due date and is up every hour or two. She's lucky and gets to sleep all day haha.

I have never seen any red tigers here but I hear they look much better in pics than they do in real life. Super tigers on the other hand are very common and fairly cheap.

Welcome to the forum, you got some really nice shrimp.

I really hope the birth of your child goes well for all of your family :)