aquarium rocks

ineke

• HOF Member

Hi All,

How can you test rocks to see if they are safe to put in with the shrimp?

Cheers

Ineke

A simple test to see whether rocks will affect your water parameters is to put a bit of vinegar (which is a weak acid) on the rock. If the vinegar/rock bubbles and hisses then the rock will dissolve in your aquarium and affect water parameters.

The other thing you should do is to take a good look at the rock. Does it have lots of holes and/or crevices? Are you certain there are no bugs, dirt or organic matter in them as these can affect water quality? E.g. A rotting bug can be a source of ammonia in your tank that you'll be unlikely to find.

Additionally check if the rock contains metallic material. For example large quartz pieces often contain bands/lines of metallic crystals (e.g. Iron oxides). Metal ions, particularly the heavy metals and copper, can leach from rock placed in aquariums and cause disease and death for shrimp.

Your safest bet is to go with well washed inert rock like granite.

• HOF Member

Thanks Fishmosy,

if the vinegar test is ok and I boil the rock would that clean it enough- after I scrub it of course?

Hi Ineke

I read from somewhere to test if rock is suitable for the aquarium is by pouring vinegar on the rock...if it bubbles it is not suitable... CJ

That should be enough. Just be certain not to use any cleaning agents (detergents ect) when you clean the rock as these are harmful to shrimp. A scrubbing brush or high pressure cleaner will do the trick to ensure there is no dirt ect left on the rock.

• HOF Member

Thanks Fishmosy. I always use sea salt- the big grain - as my cleaning agent works really well and the little bit that may stay on after a rinse is fish/shrimp safe.

Cheers

Ineke

Me too. Salt is a great sterilising agent for cleaning tanks ect. and as you said, trace amounts have no harmful effects.