28 litre nano cube

ineke

• HOF Member

Hi All,

Hubby has given me green light to get another tank (or 2) so I can separate out my dark cherries. I have seen some nano cubes on ebay for $80 delivered and wondered if any one has bought these and if so are they OK. I know there are much more expensive ones out there but I'm on somewhat of a budget, having said that I don't want to buy something that others have had problems with.

Is there anyone in SA that knows of a good aquarium shop that sells reasonable cubes. The ones I have seen are all over $150.

Cheers

Ineke

• HOF Member

Excellent thank you Loach that will be two tanks then:cheerful:. I will go and look tomorrow.

Cheers

Ineke

• HOF Member

Couldn't get the cubes at Petstock so ended up shocking my husband and bought 2 Aqua one nanos only 20 litres but at least they have everything and I wanted them today !!!

• HOF Member

I've filled them to start the cycling but am waiting on mosses and java fern before I can decorate. I know I will have to partially empty them but at least the filter medium has a chance to start maturing. When the plants arrive and I've played around with it- this is a first for me nearly always just had plastic plants or half plastic half live. These will be setup solely for shrimp but I am an amateur so will probably play with it a lot before I am happy. I will put a few of my Betta girls in to help cycle the tank but they will come out when the shrimp go in .

• HOF Member

I have planted one of my cubes (20 litre not 28) and put 6 shrimp in there. I have left room for some mosses which a member is shipping to me next week:encouragement: I'm leaving it as it is for the moment as I tend to fuss and put in more and more so until the mosses come this is cube1

Cheers

Ineke

post-12-139909848589_thumb.jpgpost-12-139909848592_thumb.jpgpost-1019-139909859319_thumb.jpg

Very cool, I like the driftwood :D Have you glued the Subwassertang to the terra-cotta? That an awesome idea :encouragement:

• HOF Member

Hi Squiggle yes I glued it I can't tie anything just too fiddly so everything glued:redface-new: It is all a bit plain but hopefully when the moss comes it will look fuller. Just had to stop fiddling or I would still be going on &on& on. Can't take the idea of gluing it on as mine, some of our members have used glue too , just can't remember who to thank . But thanks anyway!!

Cheers

Ineke

Yeah I was reading the thread about gluing the plants but most would assume only gluing plants that eventually stick onto the wood/rocks, Ive never heard of it being done with Subwassertang as it doesn't cling to stuff. That's what I love about people new to this sort of stuff, they don't know what's not meant to happen & give it a go anyway :D It looks awesome!

• HOF Member

Yes sometimes ignorance is bliss. I probably have done quite a few things that most more experienced people do but sometimes it works. I have a community tank with 11 female Bettas and I male plus a few other fish. There are plenty of hiding places and they all get along together quite well. It is a no no to keep males and females together like this but as the girls were chasing my baby shrimp on the first day I got the shrimp I had to move the Bettas and that was the only tank I had. They are living peacefully and have been for about 4 weeks now. Maybe it's the quiet before the storm but as you said I am just giving it a go!!!

I breed Bettas too & I've had males & females together till they are almost show size, you've just got to make sure you have lots more females than males, that way there's no one particular female the males can pick on & the females distract the males from fighting each other, sometimes there are exceptions to the rules & usually takes a newbie to accidentally find them out :D

I have the same cube. After running it for 3 months, I ripped out the 'sump' area so I could get more volume out of it. I run it with a canister filter.

• HOF Member

Squiggle

I start to feel guilty when I finally realise I shouldn't do something but do it anyway. If the girls pick on my boy I will find somewhere to put him but at the moment peace reigns in the tank and some of the females are very deep colours so the tank looks nice. As for the gluing if the plants don't look like they are going to die I will continue to do that too!!!:angel:

Hi JonX

Yes the volume is quite small but as I am home (retired nurse) I have all the time in the world to do water changes etc. The hard part will be when we go travelling then I might have to look at changing them .Does the glass come out easily?

Cheers

Ineke

Hi JonX

Does the glass come out easily?

Cheers

Ineke

do you mean the back black bit? Yes, it just slides out. It's a good to have you can hide your heater and other pipes in there.

• HOF Member

Well you learn something every day!!! Yes I am using it as it comes but can see that when we go away I could pull that out and put a couple of sponge filters in there to increase space and oxygen. Cool

Thanks

JonX

Beautiful tank. I really like your driftwood

• HOF Member

Thanks Trigg,

it came from pet stock, they had quite a few nice pieces for nano tanks, only trouble is even though I soaked it for several days it kept floating soooo the answer is- I glued some stones to the bottom!!!! Probably not what you do but as Squiggle stated us Noobs don't know what's right or wrong we just do it!!!

Cheers

Ineke

Gluing its fine as long as you use something like selleys or something non toxic.

Another option Is to boil it. I use a slow cooker 4.5ltr for larger pieces.

Awesome find, it really is a nice piece of driftwood.

Squiggle

As for the gluing if the plants don't look like they are going to die I will continue to do that too!!!:angel:

Cheers

Ineke

Awesome, I'm probably going to give that a go myself, looks really cool :D

Don't worry, it's the noobs that teach us old dogs new tricks.

p.s. I'm only an old dog at aquariums & fish, still very much a shrimp noob :D

• HOF Member

Thanks Squiggle both you and Triggs have given me a confidence boost. I have another nice piece waiting for some mosses to come next week. If all the glued plants are still looking OK I will do some more!!!!

Nice nano tank Ineke...Love the driftwood..Is it golden vine? Can you please tell me what type of glue you used for the plants? CJ