Saratoga

lachie1998

Thanks guys.

I got him from Le Aquatic for $80. His eating blood worms at the moment but hopefully i can get pellets into his diet. He will also get flowerhorn culls.

Very nice fish mate! I'm so jealous right now!

do you know if it's a leicharti or Jardini? Leicharti are thinner / not as tall in the body and more suited to an aquarium.

Either way from an LFS that's a top price! The cheapest I had seen jardini for were $50ea but you had to buy a min of 2. or $60 single. But that was from Jack (Cichlidscrazy) in BNE who went to a farm and bought more than 100.

Still waiting on him to get some more so I can get a couple for my 8ft.

Good onya :encouragement:

Start trying to switch him over to pellets early as they can become really fussy..lol..

Also becarful with the floowerhorn culls as they are very aggressive and saratoga's are whoosy until they get to around the 15cm mark..

Good luck wiith it ;)

He is too small to be able to definitively tell the difference but I have this chart you can use. Awesome predator, I'm so jealous & I wish I still had mine, he was about 60-70cm :encouragement:

image-73.jpg

That's what I sooooo want! :encouragement: super dooper jealous now!

Gorgeous lachie, love the Saratoga. Theyll be many many years of thrills watching him grow and feed.

Honcho, No! That tank your thinking about cannot house a Saratoga....it's for your a shrimp breeding setup.

just heard back from my guy in BNE... he just got in bulk saratoga jardini... 50 - 80cm! :dejection: Why so big? I want a couple little cute ones and watch them grow into monsters, not get monsters and watch them destroy my tank

good news is they're only $100 he says. $100 to destroy a $1500 tank... I don't think so!

So angry... so really really angry! looks like i'll have to wait till next year as the season is almost over.

And unfortunately their isn't high demand in the LFS here in Coffs so they'd have to order them in at extra cost as they come from farms not pisces or other "normal" LFS stockers

So, so super dooper jealous now.

That sucks, i have sent you a pm with a place you can get them and they ship them i think.

i love saratogas :) one of my mates has a huge lechart. great personality and awesome shape and character!!!

use lots of live food for now it will help :)

Update

He is going quite well in my care, his eating great and ate a whole food stick! He has a cool personality like a FH he follows me along the tank and isn't very shy.

DSC_2503_zps0a3998e9.jpg

DSC_2504_zpsb57efc08.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

got home from holidays today and his color has got better while i was away

DSC_3066_zpsc0eeb578.jpgDSC_3065_zpsa4352286.jpg

Very nice! I Had a super red arowana I purchased at around 15cm grew it up to around 45cm and then one day I came home to find he had knocked the lid off and jumped out the tank. I had a 5lb weight on top of lid but it still managed to knock it off. Needless to say it was goneskis by the time I got to it all dry . I was devastated! Cried like a little girl and all! I really miss my aro!

I saw some at Trans Aquarium as well, saratogas not arowanas.

Oh and make sure you put something heavy on those lids, as these guys are very powerful when they grow up!

Now I know there is Toga lovers on here i will put up some photos from the lake we go spotlighting on, they are up to 80cm long and Boy OH boy they can jump. I tried to net one one night and it cleared me and I was standing in the boat and hit the driver square in the chest, she the driver was not happy LOL, the boat is only 3.5 mt long.

I also had the privilege of seeing them spawning when we did a fish survey on the Irwin place at Weipa, what a sight that was, I have a article on it some where?. They are as gold as the best gold Arowana when they spawn

Bob