Shrimp climbing out of the tank

CNgo2006

Hi all SKF members,

This is the first time it has happened but this morning I noticed one of my high grade crs on the top of my lid all dry and crispy..The only thing I can think of is that it climbed all the way up the airline through the gap in the lid and could not make it back as I saw it before lights out last night. I dropped the water height some more since this incident, hopefully no more will decide go on an adventure. Has this happened to anyone else?

Cheers Chi.

Hi Chi, this tends to happen due to lack of oxygen in the water, or perhaps WP. I would add an airstone in there sooner then later, and do a quick WP check....

Hi Chi' date=' this tends to happen due to lack of oxygen in the water, or perhaps WP. I would add an airstone in there sooner then later, and do a quick WP check....[/quote']

Thanks for reply BB, but I did do WP check and it is fine, also I have a sponge, UG filter, HOB canister (waterfall) and an oxydator, not to mention the plants in a 40L tank so I don't think it is short of any oxygen...

Do u have any water rippling at surface ?

If so does this ripple get close to edge of tank..?

Also How much distance between the top of the water and edge of the tank do u have.. ?

Could it have been from doing water clean, and shrimp going into breeding frenzy..?

Maybe try and post a pic of top of water as this may help us as theyre are many reasons why shrimp tend to escape

Here are some pics

This one shows water height, app 10 cm from lid.

post-29-139909848349_thumb.jpg

This one shows the gap on the left

post-29-139909848351_thumb.jpg

This is inside of tank

post-29-139909848353_thumb.jpg

As I said in previous post it was seen before lights out and then this morning it was on the lid..I think it may just be a one off as it has never happened before

post-260-139909847717_thumb.jpg

post-260-13990984772_thumb.jpg

post-260-139909847724_thumb.jpg

Maybe a one off.. but also that first pic shows alot of condensation or something..

Even a little water can help th crawly out

Well today was a pretty cool day so the heater was working, hence the condensation, also with the sponge filter bubbles and k1 bottle bubbles popping near the lid it will splash water. But how does that help the shrimp climb out? If anything it would have climbed up the airline, NO?

I presume it maybe becusee there is water on glass they are ok..

A little while i was loosing shrimp "disapearing actually" after a couple days i ffound them laying behind my tank.. and eventially caught them in the act..

post-290-139909859219_thumb.jpg

post-290-139909859223_thumb.jpg

The gurgling from the sponge filters was enough water for them to crawl out :dejection:

Since then i made sure the surface was still getting broken for air absorbtion. Just not near the edge of tank :encouragement:

Hope that helps

post-367-139909847743_thumb.jpg

post-367-139909847746_thumb.jpg

happens to me all the time. i have a three foot tank divided into three and even with a 20mm gap. the girls always jump to and fro!!! mostly berried girls!!! i think they need their space from the horny boys....

Last week I lost my first ever berried shrimp to climbing out. She was a snow white I raised from juvie 3 weeks pregnant. The male went out after her.

FURIOUS! It's hard to put a lid on with air hoses, filter inlets and outlets, breeder boxes and clip on lighting on the edges of the tank. So I have lowered the water level a little bit.

I suspect they were looking for food as I was away for 1 week for the Australia long weekend.