my boys are frantically swimming around

ineke

• HOF Member

Hi All,

So my boys are all excitedly swimming around while the girls are just quietly grazing. This hasn't happened before but as I write I noticed someone has shedded. Is this behaviour because one of the females is ready to breed? This is only week 3 of owning shrimp and although I have a couple of shrimplettes they came from berried females that I bought. I am new to behaviours as so far all has been slow and steady.

Cheers

Ineke

• HOF Member

Hi heavyd,

Thanks for that. I thought that may have been the case. Is it possible to spot who has just shedded ? Are there any signs that she has a new"dress"

Cheers

Ineke

• HOF Member

Hi Aquathumb,

Thought that might have been the reason for the excitement, they certainly are busy.

Cheers

Ineke

• HOF Member

Oh great I will be spending even MORE time staring at my tank. At least hubby will be glad I'm quiet!!!

Cheers

Ineke

Hi heavyd' date='

Thanks for that. I thought that may have been the case. Is it possible to spot who has just shedded ? Are there any signs that she has a new"dress"

Cheers

Ineke[/quote']

Quite often it's the shrimp who is hiding. The new shell takes a while to harden, so they probably feel vulnerable after moulting.

Oh great I will be spending even MORE time staring at my tank. At least hubby will be glad I'm quiet!!!

Cheers

Ineke

lol. Staring at my shrimp tanks doesn't keep my wife quiet! hehe

Quite often I can't hear my partner over the sounds of the pumps and chillers etc. At least that's what I tell her lol

• HOF Member

I can't believe how much time I waste looking at my tank. The poor fish in my bigger tank are sadly neglected- well not really feeding and water testing/changing still gets done but I'm not as interested in them any more. Hubby is just glad he gets to watch what he wants on the TV without me jabbering away. These shrimp have a lot to answer for.

Cheers

Ineke

I know how you feel, I am such a shocker that I have a small shrimp tank on my desk at work, just to help with the withdrawals I get each day, I spend most of my day looking at them & not doing my work, lol :encouragement:

• HOF Member

Hi Squiggle,

I'm lucky that I get to spend all day at home so I start out cleaning the house -then watch the shrimp ,a bit more cleaning then watch the shrimp then Oh that can wait until tomorrow back to watching the shrimp !!!!

Haha do true. The Gf had been annoyed at me a few times cause I lose focus on her. So I expect to see photos of a berried girl soon yeah? ;)

• HOF Member

Hi Gbang still can't find her but while looking I have noticed some teeny tiny shrimplettes that must have been born during the night YAY. I wear glasses and my proper ones broke so am wearing an older pair and can't focus close up to see properly. Also some of my older girls have very deep (is carapices?) and hard to see if they are berried. Better give that GF a bit of attention hey!

Yeah true.... But she should compromise and give my shrimps some attention. :p I'm glad my Gf isn't on the forum cause I would have been in the dog house if she read that!!! Hehehe

I hear ya buddy, if my missus read me calling her the financial controller, I'd be sleeping in next doors dog house, lol :)

the abdomen is the tail... carapace is head and pleopods is the paddles the eggs attach to and the shrimp uses to swim. it takes around 30 -45 days from impregnation for the eggs to hatch. a healthy, happy female will develope a saddle during this period and can be berried days after the shrimplets hatch. did you know that if a female dies and is berried you can artificially hatch the eggs with a simple process?

• HOF Member

Hi fish4fish3,

I got all of that wrong then didn't I? I have read the article about tumbling the eggs but will read it through again now that I have berried girls . There is so much to learn isn't there- never a dull moment!!! LOL

Cheers

Ineke

dull is when the wife comes home from work and pulls the internet cause the dishes are still in the sink.

I read a different article and it didn't involve a tumbler... simply a container with water and a lid(no heater, air stones or fancy equipment) stripped eggs from the dead shrimp, aggitate the water with a syringe a couple times a day and change 75% of it every 3 days. this guy did it with blue pearl shrimp.

now that's the way I like it... simple