Are chillers a prerequisite to most shrimp

ineke

• HOF Member

Hi All,

I keep my tanks in a spare room at home with ducted air conditioning, as soon as it gets to 30 degrees in the main room -the spare room always remains cooler - the air conditioner goes on. I wonder if this would be enough to be able to keep CRS and CBS?

Cheers

Ineke

It depends. You'd have to monitor the tank temperature not the air temp. Generally tanks will sit at ambient/ room temperature. 30 degrees is too high for CRS/CBS. Most try and keep the temp around 23-25 degrees. That is pretty much only possible with a chiller. Also bare in mind using the aircon during the day is going to be ok, but if you turn it off and have a hot night, a couple of degrees fluctuation can be enough to stress the shrimp out.

• HOF Member

Thanks Sajica , I am in Adelaide and we are expecting some hot weather next week so I might do some hourly checks on my tanks to see water temp fluctuations. But I get what you say about hot nights, will have to think about that one now.

Cheers

Ineke

I use aircon on my fish /shrimp room 24/7 top tanks sit 26deg bottom on23deg constant for mts sufferers arcon may be cheeper to run than heating and or chilling.

• HOF Member

Thanks for that will still check out my tanks next week when it is supposed to be hot. Haven't used this room for a while so no real idea how warm it gets.

Cheers

Ineke