Recommended Gear for shrimp keeping *Work in progress*

sajica

I thought I'd start this thread as a potential sticky for any new comers looking to expand into or looking to start in shrimp keeping. Shrimp keeping is an immensely enjoyable and rewarding aspect of the aquarium hobby. They can be engaging and fascinating to watch as they interact with their environment, others and are constantly moving and tend to be quite busy in an aquarium.

Due to their generally small size (maximum 2-3cm) they are easy prey for a vast majority of aquarium fish available. It is generally considered "best practice" to maintain shrimp in a species only aquarium without fishes. Some species are suitable such as Celestial Pearl Danios, Ember Tetras, Spotted Blue Eyes and Threadfin Rainbowfish. While some species of fish are unable to eat the adult shrimps, juveniles may be eaten by fish inhabitants. Another point worth mentioning is that shrimp can and do crossbreed within species. All Cherry Shrimp variants (Neocaridina heteropoda) will cross with each other and the same with Caridina cantonensis

So what equipment do you need?

For starters

Aquarium

(Generally at least 25-30L, more the better) The large the volume the more stable it will be in regards to temperature, pH fluctuations and water quality fluctuation. Extra width and length will increase the ability to aquascape the tank to suit personal taste

Filter

The filter itself must be shrimp safe and capable of not sucking up shrimp of shrimplets. Generally air operated sponge filters are good choices as the open sponge can provide a feeding ground for shrimps. External Filters are also quite popular with fine sponge of fine wire mesh placed over the intakes of filters again to prevent shrimp from entering the filter. External filters both include cannisters and hang on the back style filters

post-1019-139909848316_thumb.jpg

Cooling Fans

These will enable you to drop a couple of degrees off your tanks during hot weather. They are nowhere near as effective as chiller units but are cheap to operate, occupy small amounts of space and are cheap to buy. If you can't afford a chiller, these are a MUST.

post-1019-139909848319_thumb.jpg

Substrate

This will vary depending on the shrimp you wish to keep, budget and ability to maintain suitable water parameters. They will lower the pH and generally keep it stable. Generally cheaper substrates are great for cheap shrimp, but high end substrates make keeping both expensive and high grade shrimp easier. It will also make keeping cheaper shrimp easier too. Inert substrates such as sand or gravel can be used but will lack the ability to lower pH which most shrimp benefit from. Typically mosty shrimp tanks use a dark substrate to show the colours of the shrimp.

Aeration

Adding extra oxygen to the water for shrimp is always advantageous as they come from environments with very high levels of Dissolved Oxygen. There may be enough oxygen being produced from your air pump and sponge filter but throwing in an extra air stone will help. *See Recommended Gear for Sochting Oxydator)

Shrimp Friendly Nets

There's a plethora of nets available to the hobbyist some are designed for nano tanks others more catered towards shrimp keeping. Shrimp specific nets are more expensive than small fish nets, but are easier to maneuver around and catch shrimp along with being made of different material/ netting to prevent damage to shrimp.

Lighting

Everyone has different preferences when it comes to lighting types, intensity and colour temperature. Generally they look best under more subdued lighting as opposed to intense lighting. I have a personal preference when it comes to light tubes of 10000 Kelvin. Each brand of light tube is different and the colour temperature visible to the eye will vary depending on manufacturer. LEDS around 5000- 7000 Kelvin look quite nice, 6500 Kelvin is generally the default LED of choice in most units which will do the job fine for plant growth and shrimp viewing.

Moss

Moss and plants perform many functions in a shrimp aquarium. They have the ability to provide hiding places for pregnant and baby shrimp, grow food (bio film) for shrimp to feed, absorb small amounts of Ammonia and Nitrate from the water and provide extra oxygen during photosynthesis.

Digital Thermometer

Digital thermometers provide instant feedback on temperature and are generally more accurate than standard glass thermometers. It's all personal preference when it it comes digital thermometers. Some people like units with internal probes and external read outs. I personally prefer the "Juwel Digital Thermometer" an in tank digital thermometer that doesn't leak (unlike other models) also IF it does leak the suppliers are quick to offer replacements.

Recommended Gear

Chillers

When you start playing with high value shrimp or recirculation system you can have a lot of money invest in shrimp. The best way to cool all the tanks on your system is a chiller. The cost of the chiller will pay it's self back in the amount of shrimp you don't lose from heat. Essentially it's hot here in Australia, shrimp like cooler water. Chill the water down and keep the shrimp alive. Think of a chiller as a reverese heater. They cool the water to your programed temperature.

*Note* Chillers will produce heat as a biproduct, so make sure you keep them in a well ventilated area to prevent heatbuild up

UV's

Running mulitple tanks in recirculation systems. UV's (Ultraviolet Clarifiers) will prevent the spread of disease to other tanks and also cut down the number of pathogens in the tanks and help increase the shrimp's health.

Sochting Oxydator

Glass Feeding Dish

Tweezers

EC/ TDS Meters

RO Units/ GH salt additives

Alternative Food Items

Mulberry Leaves

Indian Almond Leaves

Kale Leaves

post-538-139909858973_thumb.jpg

post-538-139909858976_thumb.jpg

Thanks for this thread sajica (great idea)...This checklist will be helpful & beneficial for new shrimp enthusiasts....CJ

Nice write up mate.

I personally think some kind of moss is important for shrimplettes also.

Great idea Chris. Just adding some of the obvious...... Substrate (depending on shrimp type), light (there's a preference of light type/spectrum for shrimp keeping...don't recall ATM), and a NANO Mag....is it here yet ? LOL

I would add a shrimp specific net, as normal nets have a tendency to trap the shrimp inside. Also helps with selective breeding, when you can easily see the shrimp in the net.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll get to editing/ adding to it maybe later tonight, it depends how long it takes me to put my new shrimp away and I may go the shops for late night shopping.. I will definately add a net (Borneo Wild net to the list)

• HOF Member

Hi,

This is a great thread as I am a complete shrimp novice. I have a few red cherries that I got by chance and would like to move on once I can maintain these for a few months. Any help starting out properly will be great because I think a lot of us "accidental" shrimp keepers flounder when we see the great setups that you all have :)

Cheers

Ineke

* Bump*

I'm too hot and bothered atm and will throw this open to the SKF community as an open source project.

I look forward to seeing/ reading what everyone decides to add/ edit and omit :)

Sajica.....reckon the ball is in your court for this mate ......would it also include minerals/additives etc too ?

Hi Triggs, I am interested to know what types os mosses that would enhance the well being of shrimplettes? CJ

I personally think some kind of moss is important for shrimplettes also.