Spider In My Tank!

agbart

Found this little fella crawling around in my tank. Does anyone know what sort of spider it is and if it's bad for my tank? Trying to figure out if I should remove him or leave him there.

post-163-139909848178_thumb.jpg

post-1019-139909858923_thumb.jpg

Hi agbart. Not sure what their called but they eat shrimp and baby fish. I have seen them in ponds before.

Cheers Mick

I had these once in my guppies tank and was told to get it out straight away as it would prey on smaller fish at night. The tank was in the garage so I figured it came from there.

No idea of the ID either sorry but I'd get it out if it was a shrimp tank as the lil guys wouldn't have a chance

Ok thanks for the info, gotta catch the little sucker now. I don't think he'd be eating much at the momment as he's only the size of a grain of sand but I'll get him out before he grows up.

I watched him for a while, he would crawl all over a leaf for a bit then he would kinda absail but upwards and float around in the middle of the tank for a while before climbing back down his invisible web onto the leaf again.

He's gone now along with some very tiny worm looking thing that kept poking it's head out of the flower of the anubias on the driftwood.

I'm I the only weirdo that thinks that'd be cool in its own little tank?

I'm I the only weirdo that thinks that'd be cool in its own little tank?

Nope. Think of the market we could corner for aquatic spiders. People like Mudskippers, I reckon a spider would be awesome. I once caught an evil looking praying mantis looking thing in the river as a child... He looked so bad ass I HAD to put him back.

Sajica, That was probably a water scorpion you caught. I found one in my pond once and took it down to the local reptile place and sold it for $5... lol They put it in a poladarium along with a few guppies I gave for food.

but yeah I think you could make a market with these little guys as the reptile and spider industry is expanding.

looks like a diving bell spider from the pics I googled. Supposedly it has a filament / air bubble over it's arse that acts like a fish's gills extracting oxygen from the water. Only needs to come up once a day to suppliment the oxygen...

really cool in it's own little way.