Paratya Australiensis on The Aquarium Wiki

deL

I created a page for the Australian glass shrimp Paratya Australiensis in my quest to add a few popular or common native species to their site. I am still after a picture so if anyone has one for public use (doesn't have to be amazing) let me know :)See the information reproduced here:

Australian Glass Shrimp Paratya australiensisDifficulty: Easy Min. Tank Size: 18.9 Litres (5 US G.) Size: 3.5-4.5 cm (1.4-1.8") sg: 1 - 1.012 (preferred under 1.012)pH: 4.5 - 8.7 (preferred 6.5-7.5)Temp.: 5 -30 °C (41-86°F) Water Hardness: 5-30 °d Stocking Ratio: 1:1 M:F Availability: Common Diet: Omnivore Life Span: 1-2 years (???)Habitat: Eastern Australia Family: Atyidae Alternative namesCherry Shrimp (red variant), Freshwater Shrimp, Shrimp SexingMature females as with many shrimp are larger, more robust and their carapace extends further down around the area where the pleopods are so that they can accommodate eggs. Males consequently have a slimmer profile, though it is harder to spot in the transparent variants. Tank compatibilityThis species should be housed in a species or shrimp only tank. Keeping these shrimp with any fish which can fit the shrimp in its mouth, or with fish that prey on shrimp will almost definitely result in the shrimp being eaten, eventually. They are a prey species for a huge portion of predators within their natural range. Diet These shrimp are omnivores and will consume various types of algae, detritus and left over food. If insufficient food is present, supplement with a quality flake food, pellet or algae wafers. Feeding regime No special requirements. One algae pellet per day will feed many shrimp, and even with less frequent feeding they will have enough natural food to graze on in a well planted tank. Environment Specifics Australian glass shrimp do best between 12 and 25 degrees Celsius, though they can survive in waters that are as cold as 5 degrees or as warm as 30 degrees over extended periods. The shrimp are more active at tropical temperatures, and will rarely be seen in cooler water as they enter a hibernation-like state. Glass shrimp should have some plants to hide in, particularly if they are kept with fish that might eat them. Mosses are a popular and effective choice. Breeding This species breeds readily and has a planktonic larval stage, during which the drying of pools in some of the arid Australian habitats it occupies helps the newly hatched larvae. Isolated pools mean the shrimp don't have to combat a current until they are developed enough to do so comfortably. Embryonic duration is dependent on temperature (28 days at 18 °C, but only 22 days at 21 °C). Larvae developing from large eggs (found in cooler, less saline waters) are significantly larger at all stages of development, larval duration is shorter and growth rate iss faster than that of larvae from small eggs. Identification Australian glass shrimp are a relatively small invertebrate only reaching a maximum size of 4.5 cm. They are the most common freshwater shrimp found in Australia. Their bodies are transparent, though various colour morphs not fully understood do exist. Dominant shrimps in a tank may darken and there are reports of red, blue and yellow variations. They occur in both running and standing waters ranging from fresh, cool water at higher altitudes to almost marine environments in estuaries throughout the Eastern coast of Australia.
I thought I would share this so others can contribute to this or other commonly available native shrimp, and to get some input in the information I've included there. Some parts are sketchy as I have only been keeping my glass shrimp for a short time :)Remember if anyone has a picture they don't mind being used for it let me know!

Hi Del.

we have a great library here on SKF where we would love to see that sort of info published.

sorry to remove your link but it is much preferred to not happen.

your post count is low and that is why you can only see a limited amount of the forum. premium members have access to the library we are creating on SKF and also the classifieds.

Again it would be great to see such articles written for this site for everyone to see and learn from, so please do share with us here on SKF

Understood! I will reproduce what I have so far here and hopefully create a discussion to add more. It is a wiki after all and intended for public use.