Where to go in Sydney for quality, affordable tanks?

Heavyd

I am contemplating building a rack system later this year, so began researching rack systems, plumbing etc.

I was wondering what people's experiences were in Sydney with the various tank builders?

Years ago St George aquariums had a good reputation, but they are gone now.

Since I have recently bought all-in-one aquariums or second hand conventional aquariums, I'm a bit out of touch with the good tank builders around.

Anyone care to share their experiences with quality of workmanship, time it took to build and prices? Incidentally I am probably looking at 3 or 4 foot tanks to divide with a sump system.

Yeah I've heard that Aquaristic make good tanks, just want to hear people's experiences with the different suppliers.

Have you tried Aquascapedesign.com.au? Otherwise Aquaristic seems to be the popular choice at the moment or Abyss Aquariums

Wouldnt go abyss. It took them 3 months to make a tank for me and by the end of it i said keep the deposit, i dont even want it anymore. My mates took over 2 months to make a standard 5ft tank.

Thanks Robert. That's exactly the kind of feedback I am after. Emboli, Aquascape design I think are in Melbourne, so not very practical or affordable for me ordering a couple of tanks and sump from them.

I have rung a few places for quotes and they mention that it costs $30 for every hole drilled. I may have to drill my own I think.

Has anyone had any experience with M.S Aquariums in Moorebank? I know they are very cheap, but have heard rumours that they workmanship is a bit sloppy. Anyone with first hand experience?

Thanks Robert. That's exactly the kind of feedback I am after. Emboli' date=' Aquascape design I think are in Melbourne, so not very practical or affordable for me ordering a couple of tanks and sump from them.

I have rung a few places for quotes and they mention that it costs $30 for every hole drilled. I may have to drill my own I think.

Has anyone had any experience with M.S Aquariums in Moorebank? I know they are very cheap, but have heard rumours that they workmanship is a bit sloppy. Anyone with first hand experience?[/quote']

We have seen 2 tanks built by them and both tanks were sloppy as ... Silicon work was shocking

"west side aquarium" in St Marys. This guy is a "no name" but has experience in large tank building. I had my latest tank (8x2x80cm tall) built, drilled, inc bulk heads... by him and had it brought up to Coffs Harbour. Bloody brilliant quality and cheap enough to be cheaper than any local builder inc the delivery 8hrs away!

worth giving him a call as he has plenty of glass pre cut and takes only a couple weeks to have it home.

Awesome. I'll give him a call for a quote during the week.

So it sounds like it may be better to give M.S aquariums a miss until I see their workmanship first hand.

I got a tank made by ms aquarium. they are easy to work with but if you are after quality then i would steer clear. you get what you pay for. i forked out extra for a good silicon job (which was a good effort) but my aquaristics tank still has a better line. I think because you are doing a rack, quality doesnt matter. price does and if i had to build a rack id get my tanks made at ms aquarium. when i got my tank made i called in the morning and had it by midday. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY GETTING TANKS DRILLED AT $20 A POP! drive down the road to my house and ill do them for a slurpee.

We have seen 2 tanks built by them and both tanks were sloppy as ... Silicon work was shocking

Garry, you and your misses actually came with me to pick up my 3ft x 2ft starfire. I didnt think it was half bad. Maybe youve forgotten

I got a tank made by ms aquarium. they are easy to work with but if you are after quality then i would steer clear. you get what you pay for. i forked out extra for a good silicon job (which was a good effort) but my aquaristics tank still has a better line. I think because you are doing a rack' date=' quality doesnt matter. price does and if i had to build a rack id get my tanks made at ms aquarium. when i got my tank made i called in the morning and had it by midday. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY GETTING TANKS DRILLED AT $20 A POP! drive down the road to my house and ill do them for a slurpee.[/quote']

It's true what you're saying about it only being a rack system. The main thing for me I'd that it's good enough that it won't leak on me.

Appreciate the offer on drilling the holes. Will chat with you later in the year if I can make this happen.

If you dont get stingy and degrade the size of the glass and go with what is recommended then im sure it wont leak or explode. my tank has been holding water for months without any issues.

Garry' date=' you and your misses actually came with me to pick up my 3ft x 2ft starfire. I didnt think it was half bad. Maybe youve forgotten[/quote']

Your tank was 1 of the ones I was talking about

• 1 month later...

Just another thought. Why do people generally seem to go for a larger tank divided, rather than individual tanks of the same dimensions?

I.e. I'm thinking of getting a 60"x20"x20" tank divided in three sections of 20"x20"x20", whereas I could buy 3 20" cubes and place them side by side. Are there any advantages to the single large tank that i cant see? I'm thinking at least with the smaller tanks, it may be easier to disassemble and shift the rack system.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure I understand how it's less glass if you are using glass dividers in the larger tanks?

Edit: I get it. Common walls between the divides duh!

Wouldnt go abyss. It took them 3 months to make a tank for me and by the end of it i said keep the deposit' date=' i dont even want it anymore. My mates took over 2 months to make a standard 5ft tank.[/quote']

I had a standard 4 ftr built with dividers and predrilled holes in them was about 3 weeks late but it only cost me $140 and i was happy with the work.

I didnt buy my last tank from tehm though as i dont like being told it will be ready at this time and then have to wait ages.

the guys at ms made my 4 x18, more than welcome to come look at it the sump is from abyss so you can compare the quality if you want.

the guys at ms made my 4 x18' date=' more than welcome to come look at it the sump is from abyss so you can compare the quality if you want.[/quote']

OR you could take some pics? Either way...LOL!

I'm long overdue for a visit Sam. I will have a look when I eventually make it over to yours :)

haha yeah. I probably should take some pics. only go t the phonew camera but getting a lens and tripod to see what I can do with it.

as for your visit, the bar fridge is in the shed and the beer is cold... still haven't had a celebratory drink.