Member meetups forum

sajica

I think it would be good if we had member meetups to get to know everyone a little better and spread the sense of community both on and off the forum. Some of the other forums I'm on have meetups and they work quite well as a venue to trade shrimp and discuss ideas and ***** about BS :)

If people are travelling interstate they can also allow members to know and coordinate meetups :)

Thoughts?

That sounds great...just need to create a shrimp corner at Aquotix (hassle Oli, I just did !), and perhaps even have our 1st Australian SKF shrimp competition ! That way, we can force Dean to travel to humble WA and be our guest judge ! Great way to perhaps start the thinking process/competition rules etc for all states....

WOW I like the idea of that :)

An instore shrimp competition/ display sounds cool. We'd have to get more shrimp for people to complain that our prices are too high and they're cheaper off the forum *sarcasm*

Do we know which state has the most members? Perth seems to have quite a few on this forum now.

I reckon some sort of comp...even via pics/forum would be great.....need to have firm rules in place to ensure no photoshopping etc, but I'm a dinosaur in terms of technology, so unsure whether any photoshoping etc can be identified if done ? Perhaps this would be more viable and fun, so that SKF member can all participate and even vote ....not sure how that would work...just need to set up firm rules & criteria's ..... game on people !

Just for the record (& so other forums don't claim the idea)

Myself and another vic member Gino have been discussing the idea of creating a shrimp comp for Australia :)

But the idea of a state based comp initially sounds great if we can find a good place in each state to hold the comp that is into the shrimp hobby.

We might create a new thread/category for this to be discussed further and details worked out?

WA isnt a great state to have a comp because we really cant bring out shrimps with me. I can imagine 50 x 10cm aquaone cubes lined up in a climate controlled room, water parameters are already listed on the competition page like they do overseas.

Rob I think they were thinking like each state have a comp? Would be cool if the winners from each state went to say VIC for a super grand finale :P

your on the money Kimbo

The plan is to actually hold a comp in each state.

Then invite the top 3 contestants/winners from each state to a nation wide comp as the grand.

have been working on this for a few months now but a lot of details to work out still.

so far we have

State wide competition held 2 months apart (gives people time to save $ for travel etc) on rotation possibly.

then after each state comp is held and top 3 selected we will hold a SKF nation wide grand final shrimp tournament for all top entries.

there will be a few different categories for shrimp types, grades etc

we will have a shrimp auction after every comp for those that wish to sell there shrimp.

we will be trying to organize with a shop in each state to hold the event. if not we will try to organize a venue, dependent on cost and support for the comp.

we will have all the best shrimp brands, products etc on display for each event.

and plenty more stuff :)

was hoping to keep this quite until all the details were worked out to make sure no one else tried to copy the idea... ;)

product toss, charity raffle, FOOD!

hopefully nothing dodgy happens. theft of products, poisoning the shrimp etc. some people are just crazy. imagine how catastrophic it would be if someone ran in like a suicide bomber and let of a bug bomb. as humorous as the image is, it would be devastating if breeders lost their most prized pieces.

Robert, it would be safe to say that if that did happen the idiot would be drowned in the closest tank and then feed to the shrimp....

was hoping to keep this quite until all the details were worked out to make sure no one else tried to copy the idea... ;)

Oops sorry.....

i guess we will have to watch out for people like that and make sure things are run properly! just like SKF is ;)

product toss, charity raffle, FOOD! hopefully nothing dodgy happens. theft of products, poisoning the shrimp etc. some people are just crazy. imagine how catastrophic it would be if someone ran in like a suicide bomber and let of a bug bomb. as humorous as the image is, it would be devastating if breeders lost their most prized pieces.
@ BB lol all good mate, :)

Im just stating the obvious, precautions need to be taken. one drop of bleach is all it takes. Im not saying we should have video cameras everywhere but have the shrimp in a separate room in their individual tanks behind another screen so that they cant be touch/things cant be put into the tank. limit the amount of people in the room 2/3 at a time and have trusted people on watch in the room. no bags allowed, cameras allowed. etc. we can have display tanks in other rooms but the competition shrimp in the separate room. this can all be done in a rented out community hall etc.

also ive seen this on another forum (non-shrimp related) but events are attended by the state moderator that organises and takes care of the event. it would be easier on yourself dean if there was a division of responsibilities to the state moderators instead of you doing all the work, all you got to do is jump on a plane if you are on the judge panel. Plus state moderators have a greater understanding of the locations.

Robert, definitely some precautions and dynamics to consider...great to hear all perspectives to ensure we consider all possibilities.... Always need a devils advocate .... Sealed tanks ?

some good ideas there mate, and that is along the lines of what has been drafted already :)

as for all the talk of negative things happening!!!

well lets just say they wont be happening and its in no ones interest for them to happen.

lets leave the melodramatic "what if's" in the back of our minds and not make them a topic of discussion.

In the coming weeks, i will start to put together a panel of members to brainstorm etc on a few ideas.

having trusted people in each state to manage certain things is on the table along with many other things :)

Powder free gloves / hands where we can see them policy. 100 pack of powder free gloves from coles is less then $10. fresh set of tweezers to use in the tanks/boiled to avoid cross contamination.. especially with the lingering bacterial infections in the shrimp population.. Sealed tanks doesnt sound too safe for the shrimps too me. glass lids sound good enough. maybe glad wrap (if you trust the stuff) with a pin hole.

Dean, I vote Sajica for WA... naturally Aquotix for venue, especially since Chris and I will convince Oli to create a SKF/Shrimp section/lounge ? Still a work in progress.....

Aquotix all the way mate. who better than a SKF sponsor :) (pending approval from the man)

Sajica could be the man for the job, but lets see if he wants it after seeing whats involved lol

Why do I feel like I've been baited here........

I was on the ANGFA WA committee for 18 Months, I'd prefer not to have a crazy busy role like that again. At the time I was acting Chairman at meetings, Secretary and Treasurer. That amount of commitment gets old fast.

If I had a series of helper monkeys then that would be great ;) *Not Officially Volunteering*

Oh man i'm so freaking excited! What if you are absolutely sh17h0u23 at photography, could we have half way decent photographers to do house calls?