Sponge filters enough for shrimps?

Shrimpy

Hi all, im planning to start another shrimp tank and i'm planning on using two sponge filters in a 1ft cube.

however i am a little concerned if the sponge filters will be enough and if the sponge filters will be efficient enough to be able to keep the water clean enough to allow the sensitive shrimps survive in the water.cheers

I know many people that run only sponge filters in there tanks. so it can be done!

i think that the important thing is just to keep the water quality good.

there are plenty of members with experience in small tanks and maintenance, as i have none with small tanks :)

As Dean has mentioned, if you keep your water quality up to standard then sponge filters are more than adequate for shrimp.

I run all my tanks on either sponge or box filters. My smallest tank is 60litres though.

No doubt possible, BUT requires extra time/effort with more regular WC etc, and a watchful eye. A combination of a canister & a sponge filter is ideal..., espacially once you're dealing with more sensitive shrimps.

had no problems using 1 foot cubes with a sponge filter in them.... but i do regular wc twice a week 30%... cherrys and cbs breed regularly in the tank also.... :)

Hmmmm i might stick with a simple internal filter then considering the risk of the water suddenly going bad. Thankyou for everyones answers

It's really the same risk comparing it to an internal power filter. You'll also need to factor in modification to make the filter suitable for baby shrimp, as most filters aren't suitable. Biologically they work great. Plenty of surface area, gentle current/ flow, addition of aeration in the aquarium and the open sponges double as a grazing field for both adult and baby shrimps.

Obviously on a heavily stocked tank you're going to have filtration problems, but that would be the same as an internal. If it was going to be heavily stocked or you wanted the extra leeway for filter cleaning/ maintanence then I'd go a canister filter.

No doubt possible' date=' BUT requires extra time/effort with more regular WC etc, and a watchful eye. A combination of a canister & a sponge filter is ideal..., espacially once you're dealing with more sensitive shrimps.[/quote']

+1

Took the words right outta my mouth

When you consider filtration for a tank most people forget that the substrate is the largest biomedia area we have. Then add plants for removing nitrate and most filters pale in comparison. In a 1 ft cube with a soil depth of 10cm you have 9 litres of biomedia chewing through all the baddies. Add some malaysian trumpet snails and they provide the turnover. We need to think of tanks as little ecosystems that could support themselves without filtration if it came to that. I run a 5x2x2 on two sponges. It is stocked with a few American cichlids, 8 clown loaches and I also growout bristlenose fry in it. I do a fortnightly wc and clean the sponges on opposite weeks. I now run all shrimp tanks on sponges and use the same wc system and never have a problem. Also if you don't have plants the old under gravel filters should never be discounted I know people who breed some of the rarest fish and l number catfish using them.

Cheers Mick

I'm with you smicko, I like to heavily filter but my two chameleon tanks tick over now with nothing but an entire 30cm cube FULL to the brim with moss and 10 hours of 11W light.

They are extremely heavily stocked so I water change them when I water change my other tanks 30% on Wednesdays and 25% Saturday Evenings but I shamefully must admit that I did let them go in a spiteful fit of rage for 2.5 weeks with nothing but the light going on daily, when the guilt caught up with me and I checked my conditions I had NH3-0 NO2-0 NO3-5 pH-6.2 KH-1 GH-5 and not a single skerick of slime or algae any where.

Long story short i'm a sponge idealist going to the dark side of a sump soon.