Sjn5188 New shrimp setup.

sjn5188

So now it was time to start the plumbing for the tanks, each divided section will have its own intake and out take. I used 25mm pipe then a stainless strainer for the intake and 19mm for the return pipe then reduced to 13mm for the outlet. The bottom half of the bulk head actually sits between the tank and the board so all I have to do is just screw the top half of the bulkhead into each half.

shrimpoutlet3_zpsef5f714b.jpgshrimpoutlet2_zps263c6590.jpgshrimpoutlet_zps76bf6c61.jpg

After the bulk heads I added 25mm elbows or tee pieces, depending on their position than connected them all together and ran one 25mm return to the sump.

shrimppipe4_zps212dde98.jpgshrimppipe2_zpsc6c89fa1.jpg

I had a problem with the strainers sitting too low in the tank which caused the water to only come up about 40mm from the top. I couldn't raise them because of the lids and I wanted to raise the water levels in the tanks. So to fix the [roblem I cut a piece of pvc pipe that fitted over the strainers and sat them ontop. This raised the level of the water without even having to glue the pipe in place.

shrimppipe3_zps8b9c8760.jpg

Great work, coming along very quickly...is there a diff, or adv/disadv or having the overflow on the side/back of the tank, rather then the bottom?

Great question Marcus, I'm wondering the same thing. After speaking with a couple of people the main issue I have heard is that the side or rear mounted bulkhead may block easier, but I'm willing to hear more from other people that have been there and done that.

Great work' date=' coming along very quickly...is there a diff, or adv/disadv or having the overflow on the side/back of the tank, rather then the bottom?[/quote']Yep thats right with the side mount overflow you only have water going into about half the diameter of the bulkhead, but with a bottom mount you have water that can flow around the total area of the bulkhead making it drain more efficiently. both ways have there pro's and cons. Side mount you loose space at the back or side of the tank due to plumbing. but with bottom mount you dont. but on the other hand you loose space underneath the tank with bottom mount's and none with side. I have used both and I like both setups. You just need to think about what will work for you in regards to space, looks and flow rates.

• 1 month later...

The tank is now set up and running with shrimp. Just building up my stocks and quality before I start any breeding programs. I hooked up a 5m led strip lighting for the room you can see a one metre strip under the top tank.

20130208_172344_zps1e269ee7.jpg

some pics of my shrimp. Big thanks to Dean for helping me out with some new shrimps to build my stocks up.

20130208_172322_zpsed4ffbbb.jpg20130208_172311_zpsbb20c868.jpg20130208_172305_zpsad75a39d.jpg