How to raise KH with not affecting anything else...

jacet

Hi all,

Just a quick one on how to raise KH and keep everything else the same... At the moment my KH does not come up on the test... Other water conditions are:

Ph 6.8

ammo 0

nitrites 0

nitrates 10

GH 7

copper 0

This is my Crystal red display tank...

Plants are

Fissedens

Japan dwarf hair grass

I have driftwood

Thanks all

KH @ 0-1 for your CRS is good.....perhaps your GH is a little high, but not critical (GH - 4 is ideal). You can lower you GH with RO water, or tap water, depending on it's GH level. Do you know your TDS ?

Raising KH without affecting other parameters requires patience...a combination of catappa leaves & sodium bicarb...

thanks BB for your reply... I was told by some one NOT on this forum but some one with a fare bit to do with crystals that my KH should be 2 as it help with molting... Not to start he said she said but is that a fair comment or is it more it works for them... As been newish to crystals i read lot of info and it is all different from each other... Hell i read the ideal pH was 7.4 on one thing i found...

TDS ??? i dont have a pen... :( it is on the list for early next year....

I do have exoskeletons and good condition ones with the break behind the head and in one piece... is that a good sign of the conditions being good....

Unfortunately there's a lot of misinformation on the net. Generally, KH @ 0-1, is recommended, but there's a wide range of parameters that many swear by. If all is well, and your shrimps are molting OK, then keep status quo.

Thank BB The KH thing stumped me a bit but made some sort of sense as it is calcium which i would of thought would of been good for the shell... But i should really look at the way they are and they seem healthy and happy... So if it aint broken dont fix it.... Thanks again BB....

Calcium/Magnesium is GH, not KH. To raise KH, its simply bicarb soda...but this will raise PH as well.....thus using something like Catappa leaves will eventually lower the elevated Ph...

Jacet-absolutely nothing to be red face about, that's what this forum is for....your post has no doubt helped many other hobbyist understand GH, so great work for posting it.

Gbang - yeah, KH stabilises PH...

Thanks BB soon as i read your post i slap my fore head.... I should of known better.... I surpose a huge brain fade but I do hope others did learn from it as stupid questions can stop stupid mistakes...