Is my RCS carrying eggs?

zactus

I have had 2 RCS for a few weeks now. I think I have 1 male and 1 female. The male is much smaller, the female is larger and saddled. She appears to be fanning something now, but still has a saddle. Is she fanning eggs and am I likely to have shrimplets soon? I had never noticed the fanning motion under the abdomen until recently.

Here is a still photo that might help, was surprised with the quality of this photo, its from my iPhone.

post-80-139909847682_thumb.jpg

post-957-139909858535_thumb.jpg

id say shes getting ready for the eggs to drop down mate, very round in the belly.

Ive seen the same behaviour with my cbs and a couple of days later after that they end up berried..

Good stuff mate you'll have hundreds in no time :)

Excellent. Thanks. Might set up a bigger tank in preparation. They are only in a 30 litres at the moment.

30 litres is a good size tank to start with..cherries dont need a huge tank if you dont have huge numbers..

good luck with them :)

Shh! Don't say that. I don't want the other half thinking the extra tank I'm planning is not really required. I'm pretty sure I NEED to set up another tank.

ooops .. what i meant to say is.. you should be disgusted in yourself for having those poor little shrimp in such a small tank..

i suggest you go get a bigger one asap , before its too late ..tEHEHehehe :encouragement:

G'day honcho...just a quick question if you don't mind...How many cherries would be suitable for a 30 litre tank with an internal filter/pump? Shrimp noob Neo..Thanks CJ

30 litres is a good size tank to start with..cherries dont need a huge tank if you dont have huge numbers..good luck with them :)

ive had about 200 or so red cherries in a 30litre tank..

with 2 medium sized sponge filters. .

although it was over time that i got to this number so tank and filters slowly built up biologically to hand this amount..

• 2 weeks later...

Still not berried. I'm pretty sure she has moulted since the photo above was taken. She appears larger but is still saddled and I cant see any eggs under her tail. I'm starting to think I should increase my population of 2 shrimp. Perhaps the smaller shrimp I have assumed is a male is just a smaller female.