Outdoor setups?

NoGi

How many people have outdoor shrimp ponds, etc...? Just wanting to gauge interest before asking Dean for a (sub)group. No point if it's only a couple of people.

Well, i can't say i have one at the moment, but i was planning on placing a tank outside to give it a go. Sub group would be good to get information for my setup.

I have 1 pond full of platys, guppys and successfully breeding red cherries. I've also started a second pond for when my yellows get up in numbers. And I'm also going to add zebra shrimp once I have the cash to order some from bob.

I don't know if it's the fact that I can't see them but the pond shrimp seem to breed more successfully then my tank shrimp. I never ever clean the pond. Just top it up!

I have a 200+ ltr black tub that has glass shrimp and guppies in it aswell as a 3ft tank with qld chameleon glass and

Macrobrachium Australiense with guppies in it also

Had considered converting my little pond/water feature to a shrimp pond BUT with perths weather (cold & hot), it be extremely difficult...but everything's is possible I guess.

I have all my breeding tanks in the open on the top deck of my boat six at this stage.

I have a pond out the front of my house, was thinking about throwing some shrimp in there.

Just measured the water temp and it's 32 deg in there.

Me thinks I may end up with boiled shrimp on a hot day (35 deg here today).

:dejection:

post-696-139909847358_thumb.jpg

i have one little display pond. works great and i had millions of cherries! untill the dragon flies produced a lot of babies :(

i have one little display pond. works great and i had millions of cherries! untill the dragon flies produced a lot of babies :(

Nooooooo ! Damn them ! What precaution can be taken against them for outdoor ponds ?

Do fish eat them?

Dragon fly nymphs are one of the best baits going for Trout fisherman. So Trout are a good option. Unfortunately not for the shrimp ;)

My community 4 ft tank is outside the house with RCS, guppies, swordtails, DAEs, and bristlenoses.

Its fairly stable and the RCS are breeding well in there.

I think because its a 4 footer, the temps doesnt fluctuate too much for a hardy shrimp like RCS.

Wouldnt put my higher grade CRS's in there though.

+1 to this, i had a black bunning tubs with no filtration or heating and only topped up with tap water. The cherries bred like rabbits even from 45c summer to 0c winter till the nymphs destroyed the colony.

I once bought plants from a guy in adelaide and he used to have this huge terracotta pot like half a wine barrel with java moss grown and attached onto the wall, it was really a sight to behold! Looking into it and seeing a thick lush green on all sides except the middle where all the shrimps were hanging around. I would really love to try it out but just could not manage to find any terracotta pots which were sealed at the bottom. The only substitute I could find were wine barrels which still needed to be sealed and sterilized.

But one of the questions i really had were in regards to the algae issue! my tub was infested with algae, is there something we can put on top to dilute the sun uv? or does it have to be under cover?

@ nogi, what were you looking to group buy? :D

I think if you can place the pot or tub in semi-shade (ie near a tree or wall of the house) then the algae could be kept to a minimum. You could always add some DAE to the tank every spring to help.

• 2 weeks later...

I would be keen on an outdoor section. I know more about ponds than I do shrimp lol. A lot of algae issues are caused by rain more than Sun. I have my pond between a huge mulberry tree and a green house and it stays reasonably clean without filters just plants and bristlenose.

Cheers Mick

Anything is possible with out door ponds, I know of people in Sydney that had cherry shrimp and chiclids in out door ponds and it can get really cold in winter. I guess it depends on size of the pond, placement and location (where you live)

I think that as long as you don't have extreme fluctuations of temp in the water in the one day the cherry should do fine. I have had my Cherry's survive recently in 33c (not proud of it though as I was out)

I also had them breed really well in my cichlid display tank with around 50 fish in a 6ft. Had enough plants and rocks so they were hiding alot. they did come out occasionaly but it wasn't until I sold the tank and pulled it down that I found around 300 in there.

but a similar scenario in a pond probably wouldn't work as the nymphs would use the same shelter as the shrimp and ultimately eliminate them faster. The only option if you don't want an ugly, invasive net is a fish that attacks anything that comes close to the surface. So a fish like the Archer fish may be the best option to get the dragonflies before they lay.

i may try this theory of mine out in the next couple of months cause I always wanted to get myself an Archer and this way I can have the best of both worlds. will probably have to get a suitable number according to the pond surface size... Wouldn't want them to miss too many.

GL

I have a 3 foot tank out doors on my patio and a 1000L IBC. The IBC houses about 200 Kribensis, 3-4 large Gourami a few bristlenose and 1 Electiric yellow, all very happy and healthy. The 3 foot tank had a massive colony of cherry's and some white clouds but I had to shut down the thak this spring when palm trees where flowering as the flowers/pollen dust kept falling in the tank clouding the water and spiking the nitrates! I an still planing to keep this tank out side I just need to find another spot to set it up away from the palms!

I have cherries in Two tubs that I keep outside but they are there purely to provide some extra food for my Honey Blue Eyes. They've survived from 5 degree nights to 40 degree days and are breeding very well. One thing is that their colour/quality will deteriorate over time and become very pale, even wild type looking.

So a fish like the Archer fish may be the best option to get the dragonflies before they lay.

GL

my archer loves cherry shrimp :S I started putting my culls in my turtle tank. i reckon i put about 30 shrimp in there. He went absolutely spastic flying all over the tank. Culls dont go there anymore! lol

my archer loves cherry shrimp :S I started putting my culls in my turtle tank. i reckon i put about 30 shrimp in there. He went absolutely spastic flying all over the tank. Culls dont go there anymore! lol

How much plants and cover did you have for the cherry's to hide? How many did you put in with the archer at the one time? and does the archer go into every nook and crany searching for them? cause if it can't get to them he can't eat them. And here's a tip: feed the fish well before introducing the cherrys' date=' LOL!

like I said my 6ft tank with 50 cichlids had plenty of cover and plants for the cherry to thrive in there. I think it's a matter of proper planning. The cherry will always fall prey to a fish but it's about getting the numbers + cover + space = a good balance. At first the fish went nuts eating all the cherrys they could find. Shrimp wised up real fast and went for the cover and then reproduced from there. I did loose a large amount of cherrys but they repopulated very quickly and the cheeky ones came out to show off.

here is a pic of what I introduced around 100 - 150 cherry too.

[img']http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/7892/small9770.jpg

A couple months later I changed the fish out to cyp moba and enamptious melanogenys, added a few more plants and moved some rocks around and the shrimp started to pop up again... Came from the filter, rocks and crevices. Most that came out from my custom spray bar were eaten by the melanogenys before they could get to cover. Actually had to drill the holes larger as some females were getting stuck in the holes! lol

small0559.jpg

cheeky one on the tall rock.

small0555.jpg

female in the java / crypt

small0556.jpg

Male in the same java / crypt

small0561.jpg

post-523-139909847525_thumb.jpg