The Crystal Shrimp Grading Guide (Caridina cantonensis)

sajica

I'm going to give credit, where credit is due and leave this open for discussion. This comes from one of my mentors and colleagues Ciaran. It's not set in stone and I'm sure some people will argue, but this was his guide he wrote.

Grades

A Splotches of colour (3 red bars typically with a small amount of red on the tail. White is generally inconsistent and can look slightly patchy.)

S+ Three EVEN FULL Red and White bars

SS 75% white with 3 red spots decreasing in size from head to tail

SSS 85to 90% white with 1 or 2 spots decreasing in size from head to tail

Where it says red, change it for black to grade CBS.

I will stand by another post of mine. This is only acceptable for RED or BLACK striped individuals. Shrimp with brown or maroon stripes should be classified as culls as they adhere to neither colour form.

If we can agree on this, we can move onto finding photographic examples of each

There's several well regarded reference on the net with regards to the grades, in terms of the pattern..etc. so rather then re-invent the wheel, I would suggest we just use it. Just my opinion though...

I think the main issue in Aust. is the quality, i.e. richness of colour, depth/thickness of colour etc.... If a shrimp was presented FS, similar to the attached pic, with a hino pattern (SS grade), but has very poor red/white colouration, how would we grade this here in Aust. I would Personally consider it as a cull, and instead of the $25-$50 for a typical SS GRADE, sell it for $10 or give it away.... No I won't use my shrimps as fish food...LOL.

post-599-139909847589_thumb.jpg

Another example (pic below)...Is this regarded as a A or S (tiger tooth) Grade ? And is the red/white rich enough or the depth/thickness strong enough to warrant it a A or S ? Well regarded / international breeders would perhaps say no ? (Imke, Alvin or Dean ?), but here is Aust, we would perhaps generally say she's A/S primarily due to the pattern, and enough colouration on her ?

post-1018-139909847594_thumb.jpg

I think this is the decision we need to make....drop her down one grade because her coloration isn't perfect ? i.e. B Grade ? Or consider her as a cull ? i.e. $3-$5 or giveaway ?

post-24-139909847258_thumb.jpg

post-24-139909847262_thumb.jpg

An ID on this shrimp is available here.

Cull :crushed: - Weak colours, most of the white is clear. Depends from person to person.

C Grade - Mostly red with a few small dashes or stripes of white.

Culllowgrade.jpg

B Grade - White with 3-4 red/black stripes. The stripes are very rough.

A Grade - White with 3-4 bands of red/black

7784512430_ba241ae813_c.jpg

S Grade - White with 3-4 bands of red/black. Solid Colouration.

S+ Grade - Same as S Grade but with a tiger tooth pattern on the centre band.

SGradeCRS.jpg

SS Grade - Mostly white with 1-2 bands and 1-2 dashes of red/black. Solid colouration.

SSS Grade - Mostly white with one central red/black dash and 0-2 smaller ones. Very Solid Colouration.

Golden Bee - Gold/white colour. Legs are clear/feint white.

Golden.jpg

Snow White - Pure white with white legs. Very solid colouration.

​SnowWhite.jpg

• 1 month later...

no entry is referring to the middle red pattern. the red circle with the white line through the middle as I looks like the road sign.

I actually disagree and would regard it as an s plus due to the slight red line/marking directly underneath the no entry pattern. Look properly

I actually disagree and would regard it as an s plus due to the slight red line/marking directly underneath the no entry pattern. Look properly

I see it, like a very large TT.

I see it' date=' like a very large TT.[/quote']

OMG it's a SSSSS TT no-entry!!!!