White spot on rogue cherry shrimp

Aussie.Shrimp.Girl

Hi Guys, 

I posted in my introduction post a pic of a rogue cherry shrimp that came with my order of DAS and RNS. Looking at it I noticed it has a white spot towards its tail. 

Does this look like Hexamita or white spot disease? 

Just really worried about it now. 

Thanks! 

20230601_093217.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aussie.Shrimp.Girl said:

Does this look like Hexamita or white spot disease?

No. It's just your shrimp's colouring. Not a disease.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jayc said:

No. It's just your shrimp's colouring. Not a disease.

Oh phew! Thanks so much Jason! 

Being new to it all I'm still learning. Thanks again! 

• Like 1

Well it's certainly not hexamita or white spot disease, those are fish diseases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jayc said:

Well it's certainly not hexamita or white spot disease, those are fish diseases.

Oh interesting. The article I was reading was about shrimp diseases and these 2 were listed. I'll steer clear of that resource then. 

It's so hard to find accurate info when you are a beginner. So many incorrect things online. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aussie.Shrimp.Girl said:

The article

Not an article on this forum, is it?

We have our own Diseases thread. Specifically for shrimp.  Look under https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/forum/40-shrimp-health-care/

It's sticky thread. So should be at the top.

It's a bit messy, and it is laid out like a conversation. But it's all there, so you see the development of how we find the solution, if there is one. 

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jayc said:

Not an article on this forum, is it?

Nope, it was another website from a LFS I actually got my first lot of DAS from. 

I'll just stick to following the info in here and also sources like aquagreen that are correct and trustworthy. Im hoping aqua green is correct. I see it mentioned a lot in this forum, so I went and looked at the site and I has some fantastic resources! 

I'm really trying hard though to find great info on the DAS and RNS, esp in terms of what minerals etc are required. I'll make my way through the forum though and really soak it up. Lots to learn still. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

Not sure what DAS are though

Darwin Algae Shrimp. Local shrimp to Australia. 

Check this out for more info https://www.aquagreen.com.au/files/Freshwater_Shrimps_of_NT.pdf

And RNS is Red Nose Shrimp.

@Aussie.Shrimp.Girl I kept my natives at 80 TDS if that helps. Basically rainwater with a bit of remineraliser. Lots of leaf litter and wood. KH0, GH3-4. pH was around 6.6.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jayc said:

Darwin Algae Shrimp. Local shrimp to Australia. 

Check this out for more info https://www.aquagreen.com.au/files/Freshwater_Shrimps_of_NT.pdf

And RNS is Red Nose Shrimp.

@Aussie.Shrimp.Girl I kept my natives at 80 TDS if that helps. Basically rainwater with a bit of remineraliser. Lots of leaf litter and wood. KH0, GH3-4. pH was around 6.6.

Ahh ok. Im finding different websites have differing parameters. 

I'm on rainwater tanks at home. Thank you for telling me what you keep yours at. I'll work on getting back to that, but slowly. 

Today I ordered 3 female Gertrude's spotted blue eyed fish. Would they be fine at those parameters too Jason? Everywhere I look has different parameters from others. Or are they not a good fish to go with shrimp? 

2 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

This looks a fairly good item on RNS,

https://aquariumbreeder.com/red-nose-shrimp-detailed-guide-care-diet-and-breeding/

Not sure what DAS are though, did you mean DAE?

Thank you! Yes Darwin Algae eating shrimp/Darwin Algae Shrimp. RNS- red nose shrimp. 

Thank you for that link. I'll go through that link now. Cheers

• Like 1