Winter breeding issue's still?

herrwibi

Hi All,

Is anyone still having winter breeding issue's? I'm from Scotland so we are just entering spring, weather is still on the cold side but all tank parameters are good.

I have two tanks PRL Crystals and taiwan/mixed with mischlings. All parameters are good and have been checked twice but they don't seem to be breeding.

Just wondering if anyone is still having the usual winter issue's ?

Thanks. 

• Like 1

I don't know whether you have seen this post yet and the video in the originall post is very good and interesting. From what I have read it only affects caridina shrimp (Taiwan bee/crystal etc) and it may also depend where you live? When I had taiwan bee shrimps the tank was a bit overstocked so IF they did slow/stop breeding in winter then I can't say I notice it. Hopefully, as we are now into spring it may turn around soon!

Have yours stopped completely? Are they doing well otherwise?

https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/topic/14257-winter-breeding/

4 minutes ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

I don't know whether you have seen this post yet and the video in the originall post is very good and interesting. From what I have read it only affects caridina shrimp (Taiwan bee/crystal etc) and it may also depend where you live? When I had taiwan bee shrimps the tank was a bit overstocked so IF they did slow/stop breeding in winter then I can't say I notice it. Hopefully, as we are now into spring it may turn around soon!

Have yours stopped completely? Are they doing well otherwise?

https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/topic/14257-winter-breeding/

Thank you for your reply. Both tank's have stopped breeding completely. They are doing well, seen 1/2 deaths in my crystal tank but nothing unusual. Crystals seems little more lazy in there movements and a bit lethargic but that's something i noticed when i got them. My taiwan/mischlings are very active especially when food is added, crystals sometimes are interested and sometimes not.   

• Like 1

It does sound like they are just having the winter break if everything else is going ok (and 1/2 means one or two and not half, arghhhh!).

Seeing as we are nearly half way through spring already it may start again at any point so I would just be patient unless you see any other problems currently! 

If all the shrimp are doing the same then it most likely is the 'winter break' and at least in a matter of weeks now you should see them start up again and you will know for future winters whether to expect the same to happen again.

• 3 months later...

It is essential to refer to previous years and indicate whether lack of water is a cause for concern. Especially in the deep winter, it's time to replenish water in Europe. According to petdisease.net in the winter, you should pay more attention to your aquarium, otherwise it will lead to fish lack of oxygen and lead to death.

Edited by BoydQuinn