Caridina water parameters

Mac

The problem is i mix the crs and prl in 1 tank πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ now im confused.Β 

Because one of my friend show me his crs , his crs is like the grade of my prl.. so that im confused i just relay in the stripe pattern of the crs and prl if the red stripes is more red i set it into crs if the rd stripes is lesser of more white i set it in prl...Β 

• Like 1

The PRL should be a perfect white and a pure red. I can't see any in your picture that aren't an orangey red but they do all look to have a very high quality white. The difference between the orangey red and pure red can be quite suttle with good quality CRS like yours and may not show well on photos?

As they are mixed already there is probably little point in you fixating on it as you would be better just thinking you have 'high quality' CRS and leave it at that. The grades and patterns are the same for both types so that won't help you identify them either and I am pretty sure they must have originated from the same originals as well.

Attached you can see a PRL, the red is very pure and the white very clean and bright white,

pure-red-line-shrimp.thumb.jpg.7136ac4945306aa219378856e965e1b1.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi masters good dayΒ 

I think my tank is stable now they are all alive now and no death per day. May i know what shrimp is this?

Thanks πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™

Β 

Β 

IMG_20221201_041137.jpg

• Like 3

Fantastic to hear everythiing is settling down nicely!

I think that shrimp is a black galaxy pinto and looks wonderful with the blue. It may be a low grade, or it may be some other kind as I haven't really kept up to date withe the more fancy shrimp beyond the 'taiwan bee'? It is beautiful whatever it is. Do you recall what it was that it was sold as, I see pinto and boa were on the list?

• Like 1

Taiwan said that is a BOA genesΒ 

I said its look like a real BOA he said that after 3 months i will notice or see if the shrimp is a real BOA or only BOA genesΒ 

Β 

• Like 1

I've not come across BOA before but I looked it up and it does look to be one of those, well done!

You are going to have fun with different gened shrimp. I am sure they will all be beautiful though and you will have a lot of fun watching them and seeing the differences as they grow. I know I got very excited when I had my mixed 'taiwan bee' tank and got a new type/colour/pattern pop up.

Im verry verry glad and thank full that i meet you masters thank you for everything knowledge,cheer up to me, and strength to keep this shrimp alive πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™ if this will going to succeed for many months i need to level up to sulawesi after this hehehe thanks masters πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™

• Like 2

Well done.

This is what SKF is all about, helping new and Pro shrimp keepers alike.

Β 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi masters good day its me again.Β 

Is there posible that my substrate is the problem? Because im using ista premium soil is that good or not? There still casualties in my tank until they all gone 😭😭😭

Β 

Β 

• Sad 1

Because i think my cycle of my  previous tank is not right so i make a new tank or set up a new tank for caridina i set 2 new tank for them. And now its 35th day. But my ph is still in ph 6.6 or 6.4. plss help me again masters 😭😭😭 

• Sad 1

That substrate shouldn't be causing any problems!

The PH 6.4-6.5 looks fine for caridina shrimp.

Keep a close eye on the water temperature as it is fairly warm where you are, low 30s going by forecast I looked at? Water over about 28 should be avoided!

I think so master. But the problem is my existing tank there still casualties there and now they all gone 😭 idont know why😭😭😭 

• Sad 1

Is the diy mineral is the problem or the cycle of the tank or the aqua soil that i use the ista premium aquasoil 😭😭😭 idont know master.. if my new cycle tank not again success i will try amazonia. If its still not successful i will try bee shrimp minerals 😭😭😭

• Like 1

So very sorry to hear that you have lost them all, that's devastating, and I feel your pain, I've been there unfortunately! My tank is still empty awaiting my decision to try again???

Did you note anything different/odd with the dead shrimps, ie bodies under the shell went pink or orange(ish), or bits missing etc? Did you spray any bugkiller near the tanks maybe? Do you have various tanks and they have all suffered the same fate?

That substrate is supposed to be shrimp safe. I don't know what your mineraliser is made of but there are a lot of shrimp specific commercial products available (they aren't very expensive) and so I would try one of those this time so you can ifnd out if that is the issue. Remove all of the old water/minerals and replace with the new water/minerals mix.

If i remeber there turn into pinkish red if i remember. If some body else spray insecticide all my shrimp will died but my neo is fine, I use also diy mimerals for them (neo) but they are fine. My problem is the caridina yes they can survive a month but later on they slowly dying.. and now im doubting in the substrate that i use because i have a friend that i gave him my diy minerals and the shrimp is fine. But the problem he went to a vacation he not take care of his caridina so that the shrimp died. But he use amazonia soil. So that now im planing to change my soil if my new cycled tank is not successful.. i hope they survive now because i properply cycled it.. but it hurt so much to me i feel the pain that i loss my caridina 😭😭😭

• Like 1

And master can you teach me how ro properly cycle a tank?

How often do i need to water change while on cycle stageΒ 

How many percent of the watef do i need to changeΒ 

How many weeks or monthe do i need to water change in cycle stageΒ 

Plss help me again masters πŸ™πŸ™πŸ˜­πŸ˜­

I hope my way of cycling of my tank is right ..Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 1

Commercial shrimp mineral products are different for Caridina and Neocaridina so maybe your homemade mineraliser was better suited to the neos. Neocaridina are much easier to keep and tougher!

My (caridina) were wiped out at around 30 degrees (assuming the thermometer was accurate) and went pink (cooked) but my Neocaridina were ok so it may have been a similar problem you had (even if you didn't notice the water getting warmer). Water tends to be lower than ambient by a few degrees, but it also changes slower! It sounds very similar?

If you are planning to change the substrate now would be the time. Then use some water from your neocaridina tank to start the cycling. If you have dirty sponges you can swap from another running tank then that will contain some good bacteria etc and so assist. New substrates usually come with a run-in/preparation period which may require water changes (nothing to do with cycling though) but that will be set out on the packaging of the product and varies by product, otherwise there is little point in changing water before you have finished cycling really. I would give it at least a month but maybe longer to cycle a tank, especially for the Caridina type and even then start with just 10 shrimps until all looks to be ok with the tank (at least 3 months). I usuallly put 1 or 2 cheap fish in the tank (neon tetras) to help when cycling and then tranfer thoseΒ elsewhere when it is time for the shrimps to go in the tank. The fish food and poop will aid the cycle. I think the PH of the water will also affect the speed of the tank cycle and the lower the PH the longer it takes, and below a certain level of PH doesn't happen at all, but ammonia is replaced by less harmfull ammonium anyway at that point.

I don't currently have any Caradina, all that survived a recent house move were bloody mary neocaridina shrimp and they don't need mineral additives with our normal tap water.Β  But I have some of the gh+ in the cupboard inΒ  case I give them another go. I used the dennerle shrimp king products but not sure what would be available where you are though they are probably all pretty similar. I don't think they still make the one I have/used which is a liquid, most are powders.

Caridina are sensitive to temperature fluctuations and high temperatures. Anything above 25degC is a risk.

Before you buy more, ask the seller/breeder what temps the shrimp are kept in. If you don't match the temperature they are kept in, the shrimp will not do well.

It's not your DIY remineraliser. Even imperfect mix of Calcium and Magnesium will not kill shrimp.

If you are serious about keeping Caridina in tropical temperatures, you need to invest in cooling and temperature controlled water. Keep the water below 24degC.

Unless your tank was affected by disease, but you don't seem to describe any symptoms of disease. It's got to be the temperatures the tank gets up to.

Β 

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

Hi masters againΒ 

Now im very confused right nowΒ 

I have a friend that buy 2 crs to me and he put it in neocaridina tank and now they have a shrimplets 😭😭  he have 20pcs shrimplets but 1 shrimplets survive. My question how?? 😭😭😭 How he do that caridina in neocaridina tank?  The substrate that he use is garden soil and tera activa and silica sand😭😭😭 how master is that possible? 😭

Β 

Β 

• Confused 1