Jump to content

Need help with a diagnosis


crustaceanfrustration
 Share

Recommended Posts

Sorry for the delayed reply!

The shrimp looks like it is very active and happy enough, though the clear section of shell does look a bit out of place. Has it always been like that?

I can't see any other worrying signs in the videos or photos. The GH is a bit high and if you could get that down to aroound 6 or 7 would be better. The KH seems fine.

It looks from the attachments that it has the same clear patch on both sides so maybe it is just a less than top quality shrimp, but may otherwise be healthy? Or it maybe the start of a molt?

It maybe that you should just keep an eye on it for now!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

Sorry for the delayed reply!

The shrimp looks like it is very active and happy enough, though the clear section of shell does look a bit out of place. Has it always been like that?

I can't see any other worrying signs in the videos or photos. The GH is a bit high and if you could get that down to aroound 6 or 7 would be better. The KH seems fine.

It looks from the attachments that it has the same clear patch on both sides so maybe it is just a less than top quality shrimp, but may otherwise be healthy? Or it maybe the start of a molt?

It maybe that you should just keep an eye on it for now!

thank you so much for the quick reply! any help at the moment is very much appreciated.

so doing more research and asking reputable breeders, i was told it could be a “short skirt or carapace” and or an “open carapace”. 

they are as active as they can be , grazing and eating, swimming normally and doing shrimp things. 

haven’t had a single one die on me yet( or any i could see, maybe they gobbled them up before i saw)

i’m just worried that they’re suffering and i can’t do anything about it.

I use RODI with Salthy shrimp gh/kh+, something might be up with my salts because even with the right measurements i get 9 gh/ 3 kh . i was hoping for 8/4 but i am happier with consistency rather than perfect parameters. they are pretty close to what the “breeder” kept them at.

i am also kind of annoyed because if this is the genetic defect that causes short skirt or open carapace. i can’t believe the breeder saying they know nothing about this and have never seen it in their shrimp. these are my first aquatic pets and i feel like i got taken advantage of.

i have more pictures and videos if that would help!

any more insight on this would be great , and if this is something i can help, i am open to all and any suggestions! 

if ifs just an aesthetic issue, i will do the right thing and never give these to anyone or sell them. i just want my shrimp to live a happy life.

thank you everyone who sees this and can help!

Edited by crustaceanfrustration
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi @crustaceanfrustration, that is definitely Short Skirt genetic defect.

Unfortunately, there isn't much anyone can do about it to improve the condition, except to not let it keep breeding and carrying forward those genes.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thats a new one on me short skirt defect, always good to learn something new.

It looks like the shell is normal (though not that clear) but just has no colour as far as I can see on the videos and picture so I don't know whether that is what 'short skirt' is or not (by the name it sounds like that defect wouldn't have normal shell shape)? These shrimps were bred from tiger shrimp which had clear areas from the start so it could just be a lower quality issue? Can you see whether the clear parts have shell, albeit clear?

As JayC points out, if it is a genetic issue then that could be passed on to any offspring. If it is just down to poor quality of pattern that may also be passed on through breeding of coarse. The shrimp looks happy enough (I doubt any shrimp that active is suffering) and very active! It will have to be your decision on whether you keep it or not? How many shrimp have you got and where did you get them, hobbyist or specialist etc? Who ever it was should have seen these clear patches. Is there just the one with this 'problem'?

You are right to just keep the parameters stable and as this probably isn't anything to do with the water or any disease it makes sense to just carry on as is, and as you sy you are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Short skirt, Open skirt, those are just some of the common names for this genetic condition.

It's where the carapace does not cover the entire body and exposes part of the gills/internal organs.

We see a lot of it with shrimp here in Australia. Our borders are closed to new shrimp from being imported. That means no new genetics. So the shrimps we already have in the country are from a very small gene pool.

The shrimp itself can be healthy otherwise and live a long life. But if it breeds and passes those genes along, the next generation could have this same problem as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

Thats a new one on me short skirt defect, always good to learn something new.

It looks like the shell is normal (though not that clear) but just has no colour as far as I can see on the videos and picture so I don't know whether that is what 'short skirt' is or not (by the name it sounds like that defect wouldn't have normal shell shape)? These shrimps were bred from tiger shrimp which had clear areas from the start so it could just be a lower quality issue? Can you see whether the clear parts have shell, albeit clear?

As JayC points out, if it is a genetic issue then that could be passed on to any offspring. If it is just down to poor quality of pattern that may also be passed on through breeding of coarse. The shrimp looks happy enough (I doubt any shrimp that active is suffering) and very active! It will have to be your decision on whether you keep it or not? How many shrimp have you got and where did you get them, hobbyist or specialist etc? Who ever it was should have seen these clear patches. Is there just the one with this 'problem'?

You are right to just keep the parameters stable and as this probably isn't anything to do with the water or any disease it makes sense to just carry on as is, and as you sy you are.

so when i look at it in person, it does not just look like a “clear shell” , but looks like somethings exposed , i originally though the shell was becoming “clear” but no , it’s definitely an exposed gills or organs.

when i first got them there was 0 sign of any defect but as a new shrimp keeper , i wouldn’t have known what to look for . but as they get older, i have 2 out of 20 that i bought , where i can clearly see the open skirt defect. 

i bought most of them as juvies all before breeding age. they haven’t started breeding. 

unfortunarely i think on some of them smaller ones, i’m seeing a thin white line developing where the carapace meets the tail section. 

it’s hard for me to believe that the breeder who said he’s been breeding for years and imported these from germany, did not know of these defects. 

like i said, i hope they will not suffer at all and live a relatively normal life. from what i’m seeing this is mostly an aesthetic issue unless it gets worse? i’m not too sure as i couldn’t find much literature on it. 

could anyone shine more light on this?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jayc said:

Short skirt, Open skirt, those are just some of the common names for this genetic condition.

It's where the carapace does not cover the entire body and exposes part of the gills/internal organs.

We see a lot of it with shrimp here in Australia. Our borders are closed to new shrimp from being imported. That means no new genetics. So the shrimps we already have in the country are from a very small gene pool.

The shrimp itself can be healthy otherwise and live a long life. But if it breeds and passes those genes along, the next generation could have this same problem as well.

ah i see, this is all making sense now. 

so this is mostly an aesthetic issue? i’m glad i wasn’t the cause of this cause i’ve been very sad about the news. 

i’m just going to let them live their best lives in the tank , i won’t be spreading this around . if i can i will try and separate the ones with open skirt, if not that’s fine too.

is there anything at all that i can do for them? and does this affect breeding at all? in terms of slowing it down or maybe even not allowing it? 

thank you so much for clearing things up. 

Edited by crustaceanfrustration
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, crustaceanfrustration said:

so this is mostly an aesthetic issue? i’m glad i wasn’t the cause of this cause

As far as I can tell, yes, it's just aesthetic. 

 

8 hours ago, crustaceanfrustration said:

is there anything at all that i can do for them? and does this affect breeding at all? in terms of slowing it down or maybe even not allowing it?

Not much you can do to improve on their condition. 

I'd recommend culling them. And replace them from a different breeder. Thereby improving on your gene pool. 

Or move them to another tank, to avoid them breeding and passing the defect on. If you want to keep them, just treat them normally. 

 

 

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Join Our Community!

    Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

  • Must Read SKF Articles

  • Posts

    • sdlTBfanUK
      Welcome fellow UK shrimp keeper! I would think it would be better to remove the shrimp into the quarantine tank and keep them there whilst you treat the fish in the main tank and once you finish treating the tank and fish do a complete water change (maybe 2 a week apart for safety) before returning the shrimps. That would seem the best option though obviously the shrimp would need to be in the separate tank for weeks. I'm not aware of any medications available for ICH that won't kill shriimp and/or snails. With neocaridina they probably will just about survive 30 degrees but you are pushing it close to the limit! I don't believe ich affects shrimps.
    • ferret-confirmed
      Re-posting here from The Shrimp Spot forum as I need help. Help, 40 litre tank has a ich (ichthyophtyirius multifiliis) / white spot outbreak. We've been able to separate the few surviving neon tetra into an emergency quarantine tank, with appropriate medicine for the fish. We had done this as we had noticed the issue practically too late as we miss identified the white spots as cotton mouth (which the tetra also have). We luckily quarantined the fish from the tank as  the ich reached its second stage as most have matured and abandoned the fish. This has become an issue as even if the neon tetra do not survive the treatment, I cannot re-add them to the tank and I don't want to keep the tank's environment full of parasites. Thankfully ich seem to not be able to effect the shrimp but the medicine we have for them is toxic to the shrimp and the plants in the tank, hence the separating of the neon tetra. I was wondering if there was anything I can do to the tank while the shrimp are still in the tank, as removing them isn't a viable option. We've been trying to get the temp of the tank to 30C and leaving it at that temp for an hour, however the tank's heater is verry slow and doesn't seem to be going up past 27C. From what I've searched 30C should kill of the ich without irritating the bloody mary shrimp too much (too many websites vary their recommended temp, so I wouldn't keep it above 28C long if we were able to get it that high) If anyone knows if there are any ich treatments or methods of killing ich that are safe for invertebrates and potentially plants I would love if they could suggest one.
    • Moul1974
      For beginners and smaller tanks, I recommend glass aquariums because of their affordability and scratch resistance. For larger, more advanced aquariums, we recommend acrylic because it's lighter and easier to repair than glass.
    • becky
      Hooray! I was hoping it was molt but he hasnt progressed at all in about a week. Thank you guys so much for your help again. Ill keep an eye out. 
    • jayc
      It looks like the shrimp is about to moult.  I don't keep Ghost shrimp, so I'm not too familiar with how they look when going into a moult. But the white band along each joint is common in other shrimp when they start to moult.
×
×
  • Create New...