CARIDIINA SHRIMP

markie

Hi again masters 

I just wondering

What is the difference of Crystal red shrimp VS Pure red line?

I just confused how they two are similar, are the crystal red shrimp is more on red color and pure red line is more on white color? Or the PRL is high grade of CRS?

thanks in advance masters 🙏

• Like 1

I think they are basically the same only the PRL have been bred through a longer line of the same only shrimp so the genes will be purer, and whilst doing that usually only the best quality coloured shrimps are kept and used so the white is whiter and the red is also redder. The patterns and water parameters are the same for both but the Pure Line are usually (justifiably) quite a lot more expensive! Basically, as you say, the Pure Line are a higher grade Crystal shrimp.

• Like 2

As Simon said, it's all in the genes.

PRL will breed pure PRL lines. Whereas, a CRS might have red, black or golden genes. That's why there is a chance, no matter how small, they breed Crystal Red, Crystal Black or Golden bee shrimps. And often Red Crystals will have black marks or transparent shells.

PRLs have clean white and red colouring. Solid colour legs and thick shells. Even the Pleopods will be a white colour instead of clear in the CRS.

PRLs come from a long line of purebreds. Never mixed with any other caridina varieties. 

• Like 2

The grading is the same for both and the patterns are identical, ie you get SS grade CRS and SS grade PRL so the only way to tell them apart is by the 'quality' of the colouring - you can usually easilly tell what type they are straight away. 

• Like 1

It depends what you mean by 'not eating'? They spend most of the day scavenging and eating biofilm etc. If you are adding food and that is what they don't eat it can simply be that there is enough naturally in the tank and so they don't touch the food you add. If you add food and they rush too it, that can indicate there isn't enough biofilm in the tank to support the shrimp population in it. If they are surviving though then they must be eating something?

There are so many different commercial foods available it can be difficult to know what to get. I got the dennerle 5 small packs of different types (link for reference only https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/shrimp-king/470-shrimp-king-5in1-discovery-pack-4001615060997.html?search_query=dennerle&results=298 ), smashed them up with a hammer and mixed those into one food. Any general specific shrimp food should be ok though from a reputable shrimp product producer. I also use Bacter AE to help with biofilm growth, and some BABY shrimp food (powder) to help the shrimplets.  

• Like 1

They should survive in that sort of temperature but that is not ideal so they may not live as long and any unhealthy ones may not do well at that sort of temperature. The ideal would be nearer 22 - 24 degrees, but that may not be practical where you live. They would start to die off 30 degrees, unfortunately I found that out from experience! 

Neocaridina can tolerate a bit warmer though.

It is quite possible as the weather forecast where you are shows 32 degrees (and lowest of 26 at night) around the next few weeks so the tank may have gotten hotter than you think, or the thermometer may not be accurate?

There are cooling fans available, but that may not suit you or the tank setup. Rarely we get that sort of temperature and if we do it is only for a day or two (usually for only part of the day also), and I freeze a couple of 1 litre plastic bottles of water and then just float them in the tank and swap them over when the water in the bottles has melted, but that sort of thing isn't really practical when it is any longer and more frequent as it is where you are! Is the cooling fan an option for you? Thereare specific sets of fans that clip on the side of the tank, but just a normal fan may also work if you can set that up so itblows the surface of the water, and there are chillers also but then you are talking a lot more money??

Yes our weather here is 31c

But i have 3 temp monitors and my place of my set up is cold because my neighbors is buildings and my temp always range in 23 or 24 sometimes to 28c and now is going to be colder because of the month of dec, jan and feb and its rainy day here.

Maybe if its summer it is possible to be 30c here .

Is there difference to ista premium soil VS ADA amazonia ver 1 gold?

• Like 1

Hopefully you still have some shrimps surviving but it will be a bit of a gamble with the heat where you are, and it may have been the temperature which killed (or at least contributed) them.

I haven't used either of those soils substrates but I imagine they both work well and Amazonia is used a fair bit and a staple of the hobby. The thing to bear in mind is the 'preparation' that each may require before you can use it, some need weeks of use without livestock as they may cause Ammonia spikes or excessive build up of nutrients etc until they are safe for use with livestock! Usually this may also mean quite a lot and regular water changes in the run-in period. That can be done in buckets (I have done that) to make it ready for immediate use with livestock.

• Like 2

Are you planning a planted only aquarium, no livestock! Different types of plants may have differing requirements (red plants is an example)!

If you are planning to keep shrimps in the planted aquarium then you are best not using any fertilizer, the waste from the inhabitants is usually enough, and fertilizers can be very detrimental with shrimps?

I would say that you should only need to consider fertilizer in a 'plant only' setup, but even then it may not be needed if using a soil type substrate, depending on the plants? Also fertilizer will encourage quicker growth which will require more maintenance time as everything grows much faster, so bare that in mind as well! My tanks all have fish and shrimps and I don't use any fertilizer but am weekly trimming/discarding plants.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi masters im back again. I just open my account. Just double send this message to this topic. And plss answer here thanks and much appreciated 🙏

I mix our diy minerals in the tub with ro water with 80tds gh3-4

Then when i put the water into my tank the tds become lower its about 60tds and 3gh 

The question is, is that possible? And is that ok to caridina that kind of water parameter im bothering with my tds, before in my tub its 80 when i mix minerals then when i put the water into my tank it become lower the tds not 80 but it become 60tds. What should i do? 

The 2nd question is 

Im bother and confused that every hobbyist or breeder they have there own water parameters, for the caridina taiwan is

80tds. 

6.5ph.

gh 3-4

temp 24c - 23c,

and other breeder in taiwan they have

tds 100-150

ph 5.5-7

temp 23c 25

Then here in my place they have 

Tds 80-150

Ph5.5-6.5

Gh4-6 

Temp 22c-26c

Why every breeder or hobbyist have there own water parameters for caridina im very bother with that none specific water parameters is that good or not? Because im very confused 

Thank in advance masters

Hi masters im back again. My other account got lock i dont know how to open it again, its automatically sign out and i cant open it.

Ayways i have concern about the caridina water parameters.

I mix our diy minerals in the tub with ro water with 80tds gh3-4

Then when i put the water into my tank the tds become lower its about 60tds and 3gh 

The question is, is that possible? And is that ok to caridina that kind of water parameter im bothering with my tds, before in my tub its 80 when i mix minerals then when i put the water into my tank it become lower the tds not 80 but it become 60tds. What should i do? 

The 2nd question is 

Im bother and confused that every hobbyist or breeder they have there own water parameters, for the caridina taiwan is

80tds. 

6.5ph.

gh 3-4

temp 24c - 23c,

and other breeder in taiwan they have

tds 100-150

ph 5.5-7

temp 23c 25

Then here in my place they have 

Tds 80-150

Ph5.5-6.5

Gh4-6 

Temp 22c-26c

Why every breeder or hobbyist have there own water parameters for caridina im very bother with that none specific water parameters is that good or not? Because im very confused 

Thank in advance masters