Shrimp turning brown

Suné

I bought new shrimps a while ago. They told me that this is a chocolate cherry shrimps, it also has a friend in the tank exactly like it. My concern is that this one is turning brown and the other is staying a navy blue colour. I know that it might be genetic but I'm not sure, I'd rather be sure that it's not something like rust disease... 

20220826_095807.thumb.jpg.3dd85bf513f3b79a5603087569b115ee.jpg

I included photos of only the shrimp that is turning brown. 20220826_095619.thumb.jpg.15efebbf9d2662b19ddbf829825dcc8a.jpg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Suné said:

chocolate cherry shrimps

Didn't you say they are Chocolate cherry shrimps?

What colour should a Choc shrimp be? Shouldn't it naturally be a brown colour? 

Some shrimps can turn blue when under stress. They revert to their natural colouration when they settle.

How long have you had them?

<edit> I don't see any signs of Rust disease. That would appear more splotchy/patchy.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

I don't think it has any signs of rust disease either from the first picture (can't see picture 2 well enough). The shell loses its shine (looks rough, more like sandpaper) where it is affected and literally looks like 'rust'. Love the 2 tone colour as in photo 1 and it looks a lovely healthy shrimp, but it will probably settle down to just the one  colour once properly settled.

• Like 2

On 8/26/2022 at 10:59 AM, jayc said:

Didn't you say they are Chocolate cherry shrimps?

What colour should a Choc shrimp be? Shouldn't it naturally be a brown colour? 

Some shrimps can turn blue when under stress. They revert to their natural colouration when they settle.

How long have you had them?

<edit> I don't see any signs of Rust disease. That would appear more splotchy/patchy.

Thank you for your reply. I've had them for a month now. They're both still young so as you said, their colours will develop. I don't think they're blue because of stress, my tank parameters are optimal. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Suné said:

I don't think they're blue because of stress, my tank parameters are optimal. 

You're right. Not in this case.

Just got to let them mature and see how they turn out for your shrimps.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1