Newbie - need guidance on taking care of Red KingKong (minimum tank setup, types of equipment, advice, tips)

Hi all,

I'm a newbie and interested in keeping some Red KingKong (attached). Would appreciate if you can share your experience 🙂 

Thanks, heaps 🙂

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 8.07.17 pm.png

• Like 1

That is a beautiful shrimp in the photo!

I think most of my success and useful information is in this linked thread,

https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/topic/14025-tap-water-taiwan-bee-uk-zerowater/

I had a disaster and these were wiped out a few years later (heater stuck on and cooked them) and my next attempt failed, but not sure why in truth????? I may have another try again sometime soon as I may be moving home, I just have mosquito rasbora in that tank in the meantime!

Please feel free to ask any specific questions you may have about anything related that you want clarification on.

Hopefully others will also add to your thread/enquiry and you enjoy partisipating on this forum, and welcome.

• Like 1

A few general things regarding your thread title.

Tank size will depend on the space you have available, but a good size is about 30 litres. A normal fish tank is suitable, but if you are only going to have shrimp a shallower tank is better as that gives the shrimp more surface area to inhabit and you don't really need more than 10-12 inches of water depth anyway!

You will need to use RO water and remineralise it with shrimp minerals for this type of shrimp.

You may not need a heater where you live, but you will want some type of ';shrimp safe' filter, although shrimps aren't very dirty so it doesn't need to be anything 'over the top' or fancy/expensive! The water should not exceed about 28-30 degrees C so bear that in mind also depending on where you live?

Assuming you want a natural looking tank with plants then one of the soil type substrates would be advised and help buffer the PH to suit these shrimps. These usually need to run-in/settle for a minimum specific period before shrimps are added.

I would also recommend using 'bacter AE' and Indian Almond leaves.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

A few general things regarding your thread title.

Tank size will depend on the space you have available, but a good size is about 30 litres. A normal fish tank is suitable, but if you are only going to have shrimp a shallower tank is better as that gives the shrimp more surface area to inhabit and you don't really need more than 10-12 inches of water depth anyway!

You will need to use RO water and remineralise it with shrimp minerals for this type of shrimp.

You may not need a heater where you live, but you will want some type of ';shrimp safe' filter, although shrimps aren't very dirty so it doesn't need to be anything 'over the top' or fancy/expensive! The water should not exceed about 28-30 degrees C so bear that in mind also depending on where you live?

Assuming you want a natural looking tank with plants then one of the soil type substrates would be advised and help buffer the PH to suit these shrimps. These usually need to run-in/settle for a minimum specific period before shrimps are added.

I would also recommend using 'bacter AE' and Indian Almond leaves.

Hi @sdlTBfanUK thank you so much for the tips and advice, I will start looking and hunting for all those things mentioned :)

• Like 1