Gender ID for 3 Shrimp?

supershrimpme

Hello,

I'm trying to start a colony, but I want to make sure that I didn't accidentally get all males or all females. Could anyone identify the genders for 3 shrimp?

Shrimp #1

r/shrimptank - Shrimp #1

Shrimp #2

r/shrimptank - Shrimp #2

Shrimp #3

r/shrimptank - Shrimp #3

Thank you!

• Like 1

Depending on how old these shrimp are, they do all look like males to me. If they are still juveniles then it is impossible to tell.

You may need to go and buy some more, females (when adult) have a rounder undercarriage where the eggs will grow and a patch behind the head that is usually shapped (and thus called) a saddle so look for one of these distinguishing features!

• Like 1

If it is an adult then I think that's another male! The important thing at this stage though is 'ARE THEY ADULT (size/age) YET'?

14 minutes ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

If it is an adult then I think that's another male! The important thing at this stage though is 'ARE THEY ADULT (size/age) YET'?

#1 and #2 were raised under my captivity for 4 MO when they were juveniles. #3 and #4 were acquired from my LFS, although I don't think they know the approximate age. I'll be sure to pick up an actual female the next time I post, I swear by it.

• Haha 1

#4 looks almost like a juvenile female to me, just looking at the abdomen in the top left image, but definitely looks more male in the other two images. The colour suggests it is an adult though, and it’s lacking a clear  so Simon is probably right in thinking it is male, that top left image is just confusing me a bit.

If you’re going to get a female, to be sure, make sure it’s got an obvious yellow saddle. That’ll help you know it’s mature as well.

• Like 1