Infected Tank?!? Yellow golden turn blueish and behave irritatedly

CrookiestoPro9991

My yellow golden shrimp turns blueish and I immediately have it in quarantine. What is wrong with it? I also found other shrimps have something white ish on their nose/front legs that are in the same tank. I think it’s infected the whole tank including my shrimplets. Can anyone help me identify this cause? There were 5-6 dead’s in the past few days, this morning I found 3 new tangerine tigers dead and 1 orange dead but don’t know when they were died. ?

55960C08-FB99-4955-B23D-0B340EB14045.jpeg

DEF007EB-DC3F-46A3-851D-AD05161B0B55.jpeg

• Confused 1

I'm not sure what I am supposed to see in the first photo, is it that white bit in the middle of the photo, if it is planaria then there are a few products available in USA on ebay 'grenchem No planaria' (there are others) and they should also clear hydra? The second photo looks like a green Jade shrimp, are you saying it was a Yellow?

It sounds like you are having a bit of a nightmare with the shrimps at the moment, hopefully we can help!

It sounds like you have a varfiety of shrimps, are they all in 1 tank or seperate tanks, and how long have they been set up and had the shrimp in? A lot of these pests/problems can be introduced with new plants, that must have been where my hydra came from.

Have a look through this thread and that should cover a lot;

https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/topic/5052-shrimp-diseases-and-diagnosis/

I will try and answer queries against your posts to keep it a bit easier to follow.

When shrimps change colour, they are either stressed due to the tank environment, or they are of the few varieties that can change colour, like the Chameleon shrimps.

But when shrimps start dying, you have to check on your water parameters. Start testing all the water parameters you have test kits for, and post them here.

You don't say if your tank is fully mature and 100% cycled or not. The other common cause of deaths for shrimps is an uncycled tank and ammonia poisoning.

• Like 1

My tank was setup for quite sometime already and hasn’t had that many deads at all. So it’s mature and complete cycled, i did keep check with the water paremater and found no trace of ammonia, everything is within normal condition unless the test is defective. The tank is for skittles so there are many colors. At first I had trouble only with blue dream shrimps they keep dying, but lately everyone died, especially after I had some new in replaced for those that was dead. Troubles starts from there then. I had them all out in a different tank and re-build this one yesterday. Lucky my shrimplets survival rate has always high so they still are okay. It’s just sad that even I have sick ones in quarantine but can’t save them. Disaster just struck at my tank :((

• Like 1

As you have seen hydra and (probably) planaria I would still use 'no-planaria' or similar treatment in the re-built tank as a safety precaution as they are easy to apply and harmless to shrimps if used as per the guidelines! Especially if you have reused anything from the previous setup.

Did you drip acclimate the shrimps when you got them, and shold also do that when adding new water after a water change etc.

Depending on where you got the shrimps, they may not have been very healthy and suffered too much stress in transit if bought through the post etc.

Hopefully enough will survive and start breeding to restock. Also, hopefully you already know, mixing colours (neocaridinas) will produce a lot of 'wild' types when they cross breed so you will need to keep culling them and probably need to restock occasionally/regularly.

Let us know how you get on!

Yes I have acclimated them probably it’s just this batch I guess ? I haven’t had any breeding yet but lucky enough to got like almost 50 fry when I bought one of my orders  ? I found one thing that’s quite interesting to me. I don’t know how others survival rate on shrimplets but mine I could say more than almost 99% survived despite my heartbroken low rate on that of adult ones. The parents might be dead but the kids grow and thrive amazingly. Thanks god! ?

• Like 1

The young ones will live longer and having always been in the same water should be tougher and stronger so you are lucky it happened in reality.

When I order new shrimps through the post I usually average 4 of every 5 surviving after 2 weeks as a guide!

Great to hear that it is going well and you are pleased.

• Like 1