Red cherries missing a plate or a portion of their shell on the front left hand side?

Shrimpmamaxoxo

Hi everyone - I've been keeping RCS for about a year. Went away for three months and left them with a friend, came back and they had seriously multiplied! Lots of fun, but I've noticed that three (maybe more but at least three) of the females appear to have a piece of their shell missing. All on their lower front (where their front legs join their body), all on left hand side - it either looks like there is a plate missing or a plate that is shorter than it's meant to be. Is this a genetic defect or is there something environmental at play? All the affected shrimp that I can see are almost adult size, so they would have grown up from tiny babies in this same tank. They seem to be doing totally fine, but it would be good to know if this is genetic so I can put them in a different tank. Thoughts? Picture attached! Thanks so much, xoxo

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 16.03.06.png

• Confused 1

Do you have the water parameters for that tank? I would normally think it is a molting issue but to have several all the exact same seems to indicate otherwise. Is the shell missing or is it just clear in that area (picture a bit low quality to be able to see clearly, it looks like there is a clear area of shell though)?

Welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

This is a result of a bad moulting. Usually cause by incorrect water parameters and made it particularly difficult for the shrimp to moult easily. If the shrimps were not in this condition before, than that's the cause.

The carapace (or shell) is clear and transparent. Underneath the carapace is a thin soft layer of "skin". It is this layer of skin that has the colouration we see. It looks like the skin has been pulled up during the moulting process, as the shrimp struggled to get out of the old carapace.

She should live a normal life, but it's not going to win any beauty contests.

Check on your GH, and start reducing GH slowly over a few water changes.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi thank you guys for your replies, really useful!

I had a look and I think my GH is slightly a bit too high (about 150 mg/l). My KH is is around 120 mg/l so I think that is also too high. 

I had another shrimp die from moulting problems (white ring of death style) this week. So I will be taking steps to slowly reduce both GH and KH over my next water changes. 

Thanks again! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Shrimpmamaxoxo said:

So I will be taking steps to slowly reduce both GH and KH over my next water changes. 

?

• Like 1