What is this babe shrimp that looks different from parent only CRS?

Fint

Hi 

I'm new to shrimps keeping and notice my Crystal Red only tank has this babe shrimp that don't look like the CRS. Can anyone enlighten me what is this babe shrimp?

I have 9 only CRS in the tank for 2 months and just notice this babe shrimp that don't look like the CRS. Please help me identify it .. like to know more about what will happen if left in the tank and breed with the CRS.

Thanks, Fin

CRS_Babe.JPG

CCSBabe2.JPG

Edited by Fint
updates
  • Confused 1

Do you know where that shrimp came from? Was it clinging to some weed/plant or something?

It looks to me like a common river shrimp, so I don't know whether it will cross breed, but I would remove/cull it as a precaution, especially as it isn't very attractive/colourful anyway!

Hope you are enjoying your start into shrimp keeping and all is going well so far? That fungus on the wood should clear as the tank matures. 

Thanks again, the tank is new 2 months old and the moss and wood branches are from my own garden and no pond water nearby, I tries put them in my tanks and are growing well without CO2 with tap water de-chlorinated. I do have RO drinking water at home but not using it for all my tanks so far no problems and no deaths for months in all my tanks. I use Indian almond leaves from my garden to lower the PH as it a common tree in Singapore. 

I only have 9 CRS in that tanks and gold tetras. So it won't be possible there are any shrimp other than crystal red in it. Have been search online for what that babe shrimp is. I have another tank that has 40 over neo caridina and 50 tetras that is four months old with red rali, and cherry shrimps have been spawning a lots and they looks like their parents in the neo tank. But this babe shrimp in the CRS tank make me wonder??? Only thing I can see is that bit of red legs that is similar to my CRS

But will see how it grow up to be as only notice it in the tank these few days.  

redLegs.JPG

CRS.JPG

Edited by Fint
  • Like 1

I found this link of Ghost Bee image seem look like my CRS babe offspring in my tank ..... Maybe breeder had mix Ghost Bee sometime along the CRS I got from and they produce this babe shrimp in my tank. I have no idea as I new to shrimps and find it fun to get into the unknows ... links below

Ghost bee/ white bee or white king kong ?

Ghost Bee

Crystal White Link

WhiteKingKong.JPG

Edited by Fint
  • Like 1

That's most interesting, and a new one on me! Your shrimp does look the same as the picture in the link. You probably should keep it for now and see what happens, as you say, it is fun to get in to the unknown. As you don't know what this shrimps father was (timewise it was probably an egg carried by a berried shrimp you got only 2 months ago) so it could be a cross. It is probably too young to be able to tell whether it is male or female? I hope you will keep us informed of any developments.

You are very lucky in Singapore if you can keep caridina shrimp in your tapwater (dechlorinated). Do you add any GH+ or just use the water as it comes from the tap, then dechlorinated? These crystal shrimp may not reproduce/breed well though in the tap water, so if they don't breed or produce shrimplets you may need to consider changing to RO plus GH+ at some stage! If you do need to change over though do it very gradually over time.

I started the aquariums 4 months back to have some tetras, plants and only add shrimps to eat algae but turn out loving them:) I got all my moss and stones from my land garden and glue gun them to the stones and branches and throw them into the tanks ... surprisingly, all growing well after 4 months and I use cheap hang on back filter SGD$10 -$15 with some modification and no water issues so far and only top up water and minimum water change when needed. I trying to use low tech (no CO2 and RO) and simple garden free moss and stone and cheap fishes, prawns with tap water to see if I can maintain them. so far it's very easy and low cost ... don't want to turn into crazy big tanks, water change and adding chemicals serious stressful hobby. More to relax and enjoy viewing and keep it simple hobby. The neo tank is a small 10 gallons and the CRS is only 5 gallons tank.

So far it staying on the top of the tree and enjoy the fungus and algae ...  I will keep the baby shrimp and see how it turn into and wait for few months to see if I get any CRS babies. I trying tap water straight for now, dechlorinated no adding GH+ as I just starting and don't want to have too many shrimps and see if it possible to get a few CRS babes with tap water dechlorinated and Indian almond. The CRS I get in Singapore from one shop is very cheap SGD$2 for one and look opaque white and nice red patterns, so it cheap to add and replace and those breeder shops sell a lots more expensive .. below is one of them and after 2 months those CRS are getting bigger fat and happy and no death with the tap water which I am surprise as I started with neo and a few death in the first week but after no issues for the past four months. The Neo tanks is having a lots of babes and some already getting bigger and all ok with tap water so far.

Thanks again, and will updates in future ...

CRSSmall.JPG

neo tanks.JPG

CRSTankSQ.JPG

Edited by Fint
  • Like 1

You are doing very well and I like the aquariums.

The cherry shrimp should do well enough in dechlorinated tap water, I have kept them in tap water for about 10 years without any problems and they breed readily. You should keep removing any poor quality/colour juveniles otherwise you will end up with wild type shrimp (clear/brown) taking over, this happened to me and trust me, it is something to keep on top of from the start, otherwise you have to start all over again with new shrimps and setup etc.

The crystal shrimps are more difficult, but you may be lucky. I first tried some in dechlorinated tap water and they 'survived' for a couple of months, and even had a few babies, but they slowly died off, fingers crossed that you manage to get it to work though, you will only find out by trying. As you say, even if you don't get babies, but tthe adults do fine, then buying some at your cheap prices every so often does make it easier to control the numbers. 

Fish will usually eat any shrimplets but as long as there are places for the babies to hide you should be ok, my red charry shrimp are kept with neon and ember tetras and seem to all do well! When keeping fish as well as shrimps it may be a good idea to get used to doing regular part water changes as the fish will produce a lot more waste which will build and polute the water. Maybe do 20% once every other week, it is easy enough anyway if you are just using dechlorinated tap water (but add new water gradually).

You shouln't need C02, and that can even cause problems when used with shrimps.

It is surprising how addictive shrimp can become and the crs in the photos look very pretty! They are fun to watch?

Thanks again, the neo tank has many hiding place and should be ok with tap water and I have silver tips, cardinal and rummy nose tetras and hill stream in it.

I just got back from some aquariums that have 6-7 shops in a block and saw some of the shrimps that look like that baby shrimp, called snow ball and they are selling like SGD$1 think those might the unwanted from CRS. I saw a you tube video of a shop guy talking about snowball from CRS Shrimp stall in SG been there before but only look they are a few breeder shops here but too much for a newbies like me.

I seen many YouTube and local breeder saying RO water for keeping cardina shrimp and as I starting just about 4 months it more an experiments to see if I will continue keeping CRS or maybe go deeper .... but for now I won't add any more to the CRS tanks to see if it crash in the near future.

• Like 1

Always enjoy watching a good video, what great coloured high quality shrimp they have!

Your shrimp doesn't look white enough to be a snowball, and they are neocaridina anyway so couldn't come from your CRS.

It makes sense to just see how the CRS do for now as is. You may want to move to RO later, and it is fairly easy, you will just need some source of RO water and some GH+, and a TDS meter, so not much stuff needed and easy enough to mix RO water with the minerals (GH+). You can use tap water filtered through a Zerowater filter jug to get RO (that is what I use), so again that is fairly easy and cheap to get. It makes sense though to just see how it all goes and enjoy watching/learning about your pets, as you say! Even IF it does work with just tap water as you are at the moment, caridina will do much better in RO with GH+. If you do decide to change to RO in the future you can do it gradually with partial water changes so you don't need to empty and redo the tank and the shrimp will slowly adapt.  

That why I'm confuse to snowball neo in the video he mentions CRS will throw out snow white which don't look like mine maybe he refers to Ghost bee or it might be something else. It's fun to learn along the way and if the CRS is too much work I might just stay with neo. There are few stores nearby that sell expensive shrimps and some competition grade but I won't want to get into those shop as worries I can't resists the temptation. Singapore breeder After I saw some of the local breeders shrimps. My CRS is SG$2 in tap water ... and I too shy to ask local breeder any questions and thanks again for your replies and explanation.

I have RO setup at home for drinking but just lazy to test TDS and add GH+ just don't want to get too deep into the shrimp water:) those galaxy boa looks amazing but LOL tap water surely not way to go ... 

Edited by Fint
  • Like 1

I watched the other video again and he says in Singapore it is usually 28-29 degrees indoors so that may also prove to be a problem if it goes above that, especially the caridina ones (CRS). Another good reason for the trial run as you need to see if they survive through your summer?

I see where the misunderstanding comes from, snow ball are white neocaridina, but snow white (usually called golden bee nowadays, and part of the 'crystal' family, as mentioned in the video) are a sort of dirty white/cream solid colour of shell that you cannot see through (as all caridina), as with the CRS!

No need to hesitate asking questions here.

The climate is all summer in Singapore so mostly stable and my room is mostly air conditional for the whole day so CRS tank water temperature is around 26 degrees and the Neo tanks is in my toilet without aircon ... water temperature from 26-28. Will monitor if I can keep the CRS with tap water over six months and any CRS breeding.

The neo tank has a few new batches of neo babies and the first batch is two months old and doing great. Neo is so much easier to breed and some new babies will be eaten by the tetras but that ok to maintain that tanks populations.   

I still wonder what is that baby shrimp in my CRS tank (Crystal White/GhostBee?) .... doesn't look like a snow white. It's getting bigger almost as big as the CRS and happy eating the moss algae and fungus. Rest of the CRS are happy running around so far with it. 

Thanks again and will updates.

unknownCRS.jpg

unknownCRS2.jpg

unknownCRS4.jpg

unknownCRS3.jpg

Edited by Fint
  • Like 1

Those are stunning CRS, top quality, so I really hope it works out for you with the tap water experiment!

Look forward to reading updates.

I started only a few months and surprise that the shops are selling top grades shrimps neo and CRS for SGD $1 to $3 .... think too many breeders and hobbyists in a small place like SG and most are going for boa breeding. The few specialize shops are selling at least SGD$5 to thousands. I saw last night and think few CRS are bearing and the shop I got from has many good grades CRS for SGD$2.50 think they up the prices from 2 and they only use tap water .... think they are purely business sell fast now I know what to look for for CRS but the currents 9 I have when I first pick I have no idea what is SSS grading just pick what I like. Now I know to pick more white with certain patterns and and legs full color. But try not to add more if I can't keep this 9 over 6 months with tap water and new babies.  

Edited by Fint
  • Like 1

Need help to decide which tanks to put the new 9 tiger shrimps one bearing eggs ... into the 5 months old Neo tank only that has about 40+ Neo shrimps and spawning or into the 2months old CRS only tank that yet to see CRS babies with one unknow baby shrimp?

I was thinking of putting the tigers in the Neo tank first or half half. Will these tigers cross breed with the CRS and what will be the outcomes of the babies? These tigers will not cross with the Neo shrimps right and can cross with CRS?

I don't have experience on cross breeding and don't mind the mix with CRS but just not sure of the outcomes or possibilities. 

The fish stores I go to have many cheap shrimps Neo, king kong, tigers, fishbone ... and they don't bother answer any question. The tigers I got cost SGD$8 a bag for 10 but only 9 inside but one bearing. 

Thanks again, 

tiger.JPG

tigerS.JPG

• Like 1

You have that correct, the tigers are caridina so will interbreed with the CRS, but not with the neocaridina. I would put them with the neocaridina as the CRS you have are such high quality. They should be ok in neocaridina water parameters and are less fussy and more robust than caridina/CRS.

Once you start cross breeding different strains it is difficult to go back to one type as it takes many generations for the genes to be pure enough! You may be able to put any low quality CRS babies in the neocaridina/tiger tank at a later date to 'try' without risking your good quuality CRS if the parameters of the neocaridina tank are close to caridina parameters at that point. Or you could just get another small tank setup (20L) for the tigers and lower quality CRS. I would put them in the neocaridina tank for now whilst you mull it over. Incidently I got lots of neocaridina that look similar to tigers (but aren't) when they revert back to wild type - the black stripes aren't quite so wide though?

• Like 1

Thanks again, that what I'm thinking to put in the neo tank and let the tigers breed and throw the lower grade CRS babies into the neo tanks later to cross. 

2022April_NeoTigerTank.jpg

_2022April_CRS_UnknowBabyTankjpg.jpg

Edited by Fint
  • Like 1