CWC Shrimp

Evan

I am new to shrimp keeping and saw this shrimp available from a few online retailers for a relatively cheap price, problem is there seems to be no real information out there about these guys.

I bought some but the survival rate hasn't been great, maybe 20%. I know they are not as colourful as other shrimp but I like the idea of keeping a native shrimp that will breed in freshwater.

Can anyone share any info/experience on these shrimp? Or direct me to a source, I'd appreciate it. For example, I have no idea about:

What are ideal water parameters?

Are they easy or difficult to breed compared to say neocaradinas?

What size do they eventually get to?

Thanks ?

Edited by Evan

I would treat them with the same water parameters as a Longirostis. 

Here is a quote from Nogi in the Article section regarding Longirostis ...

"Hardness ranges from 0 KH and GH to 8 and 10 degrees of dH depending upon season and the creek where they occur. They have been kept at higher KH and GH and prospered under these conditions. pH is the least important parameter as the pH in their habitat changes from wet to dry season; lower in the dry season because of the leaf litter, higher in the wet because of increased water flow. Ranges from pH 6.6 to 7.4 are appropriate in aquariums.

Temperature ranges from 16°C at altitude to 28°C lower down. Temperatures are highly variable year round. In some streams that run from the highest mountains, it is warmer in winter because of lower flow at this time. Similarly, water can be 24°C during winter because of ground water inflow into the creeks. After summer rain, temperatures can be 16-18°C. "

I can't comment on breeding difficulty.

And as for size, the females are bigger, and get to about 3.5cm. The males are smaller and get to about 2.5cm.

• Like 2

Hi jayc, thanks for the information, I noticed you replied on my earlier thread as well and I didn't thank you, so apologies for that. 

Those parameters nearly fit with what I've got at the moment, although I probably need to bring my GH up, I'm using rainwater, but adding LCA shrimp additive.

TBH I suspect my reason that I lost shrimp early on was a few rookie mistakes. I read that they love biofilm and went overboard adding driftwood that had a tonne of biofilm but didn't realise that in excess it could suck all the oxygen out of the water. I'm only keeping one piece in the tank now.

In addition, i thought that because I was dosing seachem stability I could add shrimp earlier than I probably should have.

The ones in the tank remaining seem to be doing OK.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Evan said:

biofilm but didn't realise that in excess it could suck all the oxygen out of the water.

What aeration have you got in the tank? External filter or only and air filter?

11 hours ago, Evan said:

i thought that because I was dosing seachem stability I could add shrimp earlier than I probably should have.

Yeah, that is a big mistake many make.

• Like 2

I have an old aquapro 380 with the trickle down filter up the top, but I initially had to put a bit of sponge in the intake to prevent the shrimp getting sucked up. That really restricted the flow. I've now replaced it with a proper stainless steel mesh intake cover, so flow is now good, and today added a sponge filter as well for extra filtration and aeration.

• Like 1