Large Shrimp Tank 170L

herrwibi

Hi all,

Currently my community tank is slowing dying out due to the fish being a few years old now and i seem to have more of an interest in shrimp than fish. The tank itselfs is 4x1.5x1 its roughly 160/170L

I was looking to change my existing tank into a large shrimp set up. I would need to change out the soil and get two large sponge filters which i don't mind but does anyone have any experience with large set ups? Also i'm looking into Taiwan bBee shrimp and with how expensive they are i would be looking to start with 10/15 would that be enough?

• Like 1

Just change out the substrate but keep the rest of the tank but more importantly, keep the beneficial bacteria alive in your current filter.

Apart from that it's just cycling the new tank as usual, before adding any shrimp.

10 -15 shrimp is enough to start a colony.

Technically, you could start one with just a male and female.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jayc said:

Just change out the substrate but keep the rest of the tank but more importantly, keep the beneficial bacteria alive in your current filter.

Apart from that it's just cycling the new tank as usual, before adding any shrimp.

10 -15 shrimp is enough to start a colony.

Technically, you could start one with just a male and female.

Thank you , I would be a bit wary of starting with 1 female and 1 male but I see what you mean . Having a hard time breeding my CRS just now but I think its slowed down due to the winter months . 

The issue I have just now is I am using an external filter. Would be too harsh on the shrimp bit I think I'll throw in some big sponge filters to get them cycled for when I switch everything out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, herrwibi said:

Would be too harsh on the shrimp bit I think I'll throw in some big sponge filters to get them cycled for when I switch everything out.

At least save the filter media, so you can squeeze the gunk into the new tank to save you from weeks of re-cycling a new tank. And yes, start adding new sponge filters into the tank now, and move them into the new tank after a few weeks.

• Like 1