shrimps at the water line?

herrwibi

Hi All,

It's not ever shrimp but lately i've seen a few shrimp hanging around the water line lately.

All the parameters are fine for my crystal red shrimp as i just tested them . I run two sponge filters on my 60L tank .

I havn't changed anything and my last water change was on the 21st. I done a slow drip top up yesterday with just RO water and the TDS dropped by 10 PPM but everything seemed fine nothing i haven't done before.

Any ideas? I've read about the lack of oxygen but the two sponge filters produce alot of surface movement and you can see all the plants moving due to the circulation. 

shrimp.jpg

• Like 1

Its probably nothing you need worry about, I often get shrimps at the top foraging (have done for years), and even above the water on the heater cable just above the water surface! I also have floating weed and they can often be seen on that!

Nice crystal shrimp by the way.

10 hours ago, herrwibi said:

All the parameters are fine for my crystal red shrimp as i just tested them .

What are your water parameters? 

Please include water temperature as well. The hotter the water temp, the lower the oxygen in the water gets.

• Like 1

Water parameters are as follows this was done last night.

Ammonia- 0 

Nitrite - 0

nitrates - is between 0 - 0.5 ( it's not high)

kH - 1

gH - 1

TDS - 135

Temp - 21 degrees.

Thank you. It's only something i have started seeing in the last few weeks. It's not all the shrimp but maybe one or two . 

• Like 1

Assuming the GH figure to be a typo, the rest looks good!

Are you feeding the shrimp and/or using bacter ae? Maybe there isn't enough biofilm/food so they are looking further afield?

Sorry yes the gH is a mistake its 5.

I feed and use bacter ae although i have been lacking on dosing it . Although i'm back to mon and thurs . Less than half a grain of rice size due to the size of my colony. 

• Like 1

Mine head straight to the top after I do a water top up after I have neglected the tank for a bit.  Maybe its feeding on the older dried out algae.   After a few days they go down again.   

• Like 1

Doesn't seem to be too much for you to be concerned about. Just keep an eye on them. Sounds like shrimp just having fun.

• Like 1