Advice on feeding vegetables

Hammy

Hey guys just wanted to ask a question also to let you know how things are going. My tank is looking great out of the 13 original blue dream/velvet shrimp I bought I have 6 left they are doing great and have produced lots of fry I now have a colony of 30 plus. I have gotten 6 oculus affins and they are doing well from what I see the shrimp are actually approaching them and they don’t care about them anyways my question is can I feed them a slice of cucumber or do I need to give it a pre cook first. I’d send a picture but can’t clear the forum pic memory and can’t work out how to do it. 

• Like 2

Great news that all is going well and you are getting shrimplets! Long may it continue and thanks for the update.

I would soften the cucumber by cooking it for a few minutes in the microwave in some water, and make sure there isn't anything else on it. Make sure it is organically grown cucumber (or any other fresh produce/vegetables).

You may need to reduce the file size of any photos you are trying to upload it (under 1mb)?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know that now regarding file size but the online forum memory is full the max memory left is 77.39 kb I’ll work out how to clear it eventually I’ll just have to search through the settings ect 

• Like 1

You may have reached the limit of photos that non payed users can use as I see you have uploaded a number of photos. I may get my computer out and see if I can reduce the file sizes?

I tried redcing one of your photos and replacing it, it is quite a faff so I would appreciate you retrying and see if you still get the 77.39 kb memory left, if not what figure you get? The file I tried was 136kb and  downed it to 70kb so not much of a change but I would like to know before I go further???

12 hours ago, Hammy said:

my question is can I feed them a slice of cucumber or do I need to give it a pre cook first.

You can feed any vegetable, but blanching them in boiling water first will cell structure so that the shrimps and fish can eat them more easily. You can feed unblanched vegetables, but it will take a lot longer before the veg is soft enough for any shrimp or fish to start eating. By which time the veg is already rotting and would have lost most of it's nutrition.

Cucumbers are mostly water, and is less nutritious than say a carrot or Zucchini. You can also try spinach, potato, capsicum, ... virtually any vege you and I can eat. Just blanch them in boiling water for 3-5 minutes first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1