Swapped out 3 year old amazonia for Fluval stratum - huge ammonia spike

WaldoDude

Hey all, been a while since I posted,

I recently rescaped my 3 year old 10g cube tank cause I was having algae issues. All I did was swap out the old amazonia substrate for some fresh fluval stratum, added a whole bunch of plants and added some root tabs. just over a week later and I just noticed a cherry shrimp getting picked on by the CPDs. they only do this when the shrimp are weak or dying, so i decided to test the water and to my surprise discovered that the ammonia is at 4ppm.

Dosed some prime and am going to the a big water change ofcourse but I was wondering if fluval stratum can cause a ammonia spike? I got it because i thought it didnt. Otherwise what else could've caused it? My tank is a waterbox cube which uses a sump system, so when I did the rescape, all the filter media and everything in the sump remained submerged with the same water. While the main part of the tank saw probably about a 90% water change.

Did I crash my cycle somehow? This is the first time im getting ammonia problems with this tank. Prior to the rescape, the tank was cycled for the 3 year period, I could leave it unmaintained for 2-3 weeks with 0 Ammonia and Nitrites. I've done big water changes in the past with no issues as well.

Stocking:
16 CPDs
A bunch of cherry shrimp

Thankfully fish all seem fine and other cherrys seem ok

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your issue and hopefully you can just get on top of it with some time and large water changes (if needed). I would imagine it to be down to the plants as they will need time to 'establish' themselves before they get back to normal and parts may well be dying whilst the plants aren't absorbing as much yet. It sounds as though the bacteria should have been ok in the filter system but something may have happened there as well but there is no real way of knowing that!

Just keep checking the ammonia and changing water if it needs it but I imagine it wil be fine in a week or so if it is just everything settling down to create a balanced cycle!

I don't think it would be down to Fluval Stratum in any way?

Simon

• Like 1

Yeah true, i'm also thinking that maybe ive underestimated the influence of beneficial bacteria in the old substrate which i removed. 
Im being told different things regarding the fluval stratum, some have said it does others say it doesnt ?
Additionally I also just realised that I forgot that I had also added fresh ADA Powersand (replaced the old one) before adding the fluval stratum. Cant find anything on ADA Powersand releasing ammonia but now I would assume it makes sense?  

Before the water change yesterday I tested the rest of the params and found 0 nitrites but superhigh nitrates (atleast 30ppm but i think its 50+ppm, hard to tell). Today ammonia is sitting at ~1ppm but yea going to do daily waterchanges until 0 ammonia present. Thanks!

• Like 1

Hopefully it will settle quite quickly now and it was just everything sorting itself out, and at least you caught it before it caused problems with the fish and shrimps. As you also say, it will take a bit of time for the neneficial bacteria to spread in the new sunstrate as well!

The  packaging of the substrate should tell you if there is any routine you should carry out when first using it because of mineral build-up or ammonia, so if the packaging didn't say anything I think it is safe to assume it was not the substrate (Fluval stratum is volcanic soil), and other people may have just assumed it was the substrate without considering anything else if they had a similar episode to yours?

Simon 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• beanbag
      Update to say that after a few gravel vacs, front wall scrub, moss / floating plant trim, that the condition seems to have improved.  My current theory is that it is due to waste / debris management, where "stuff" like that brown mulm accumulates in the substrate and behind the HMF filters.  Maybe some tanks can somehow deal with it, but mine can't.  Also another experienced shrimper suggested that maybe those "shell bugs" don't just live on the shrimps but also in this debris.  Maybe this is the reason some tanks fail due to "old tank syndrome" where all they need is a good gravel vac? Also, I am guessing that plant trim helps too because now more of the nutrients and light go into growing algae instead of more plants? Well anyway for this tank I will try weekly water change and monthly gravel vac / plant trim.  For my next tank, I'm thinking of something like an under-gravel system where this mulm can fall down and I vac it out.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Good to have an update and good to hear you are getting shrimplets, so hopefully your colony will continue and you may not get to the point where you have to cull some to stop over population. These type of shrimp only live 12 - 18 months so the adult deaths may be natural? If you have the time I would do weekly 25% water changes, adding the new water via a drip system and do some vacuuming clean of the substrate each week, even if only a different bit each week! See if that helps in a few months and if it does then stick with that regime? It should help reduce any build-ups that may be occuring!
    • beanbag
      Hello again, much belated update: The tank still has "cycles" of 1-2 month "good streaks" where everybody seems to be doing well, and then a bad streak where the short antenna problem shows up again, and a shrimp dies once every few days.  I am not sure what causes things to go bad, but usually over the course of a few days I will start to see more shrimp quietly standing on the HMF filter, and so I know something is wrong.  Since I am not "doing anything" besides the regular 1-2 week water changes, I just assume that something bad is building up.  Here's a list of things that I've tried that are supposed to be "can't hurt" but didn't prevent the problem either: Dose every other day with Shrimp Fit (very small dose, and the shrimp seem to like it) Sotching Oxydator Seachem Purigen to keep the nitrates lower Keeping the pH below 5.5 with peat Things that I don't do often, so could possibly "reset" the tank back to a good streak, are gravel vac and plant trim, so maybe time to try those again. One other problem I used to have was that sometimes a shrimp would suddenly stop eating with a full or partially full digestive tract that doesn't clear out, and then the shrimp will die within a few days.  I suspected it was one of the foods in my rotation - Shrimp Nature Infection, which contains a bunch of herbal plant things.  I've had this in my food rotation for a few years now and generally didn't seem to cause problems, but I removed it from the rotation anyway.  I don't have a lot of adult Golden Bees at this point so I can't really tell if it worked or not. Overall the tank is not too bad - during the good streaks occasionally a shrimp will get berried and hatch babies with a 33-50% survival rate.  So while there are fewer adults now, there are also a bunch of babies roaming around.  I guess this tank will stagger on, but I really do need to take the time to start up a new tank.  (or figure out the problem)
    • jayc
      If that is the offspring, then the parents are unlikely to be PRL. I tend to agree with you. There are very few PRLs in Australia. And any that claim to be needs to show proof. PRL genes have to start as PRL. CRS that breed true after x generations doesn't turn it into a PRL. Neither can a Taiwan bee shrimp turn into a PRL despite how ever many generations. I've never seen a PRL with that sort of red colour. I have on Red Wines and Red Shadows - Taiwan bee shrimps. So somewhere down the line one of your shrimp might have been mixed with Taiwan bees and is no longer PRL. It just tanks one shrimp to mess up the genes of a whole colony. 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Sorry, missed this one somehow! The PRL look fantastic and the odd ones look part PRL and part Red wine/Red shadow in the colour. They are still very beautiful but ideally should be seperated to help keep the PRL clean if you can do that.  Nice clear photos!