Clear film okay or not

Hammy

Hello Everyone thanks for letting me join I’ve asked a couple of questions and gotten some great advice so I’m addressing the issue. What I’m wondering now is I have an external filter and the pipes seem to build up a clear like film and every so often some will come of and gets into the aquarium. I’ve washed the pipes a couple of times but keeps happening is this natural and is it okay. It’s fresh water shrimp I have in rainwater aquarium. I’m happy to leave it if it doesn’t cause any harm/problems. In the centre and bottom right of picture you can see what I’m talking about. image.thumb.jpg.3e7ae5b50ef71d2fc41cf13ba94288fa.jpg

• Like 1

I think that film is fairly common and nothing to worry about. It doesn't look very nice but should be harmless to the shrimp, they may even eat it? I get the same with my buckets and dripper, I think it is probably a build up of something  (maybe protein) similar to the film you get sometimes on the wateer surface and some people use a protein skimmer to remove it from the surface? It may have come from the container you collect the rain water in?

Simon

Yeah I’m not sure what it is it seams to build up in the pipes only and then comes off in little patches. I’ve been sucking it up with a turkey baster when ever I see it. I might try and cover the pipes up so no light can get in and see if that helps any

• Like 1

Most likely to be Biofilm.

Do you see your shrimp eating it?

• Like 2