Apple snails eating shrimp

David D

Hi all

im new to the forum and to shrimp keeping. Has anyone ever seen apple snails eating cherry shrimp. Had 3 cherry’s and 2 apple snails, in last 3 weeks I’ve lost 15 snails. Have plenty day of food for all so don’t know they would be eating shrimp.

thanks

David D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David D said:

Has anyone ever seen apple snails eating cherry shrimp

No they won't eat shrimp. Shrimps, just are not on their list of things to eat. Plus snails are not fast enough to catch a healthy shrimp.

2 hours ago, David D said:

in last 3 weeks I’ve lost 15 snails.

You have lost 15 snails in 3 weeks?! 

That will be related to your water quality if you are loosing so many snails. The water might be too soft for snails.

• Like 1

Nope, waters perfect, apple snails are chasing shrimp. Recorded it last night, thanks anyway guys, separated the shrimp and snails, seems to have fixed it 

• Like 1

I don't think the apple snails will harm shrimps. I have assassin snails and have seen them eating shrimps but I am sure the shrimps were already dead before the snails got to them. I have never heard of apple snails eating shrimps?

Simon

Ok guys, it’s sorted now anyway, didn’t think they would kill them but they did, sorted now anyway.

thanks

I’m sorry, I’m trying to believe you, but there is no chance an Apple snail could eat a healthy shrimp. They wouldn’t try it, and they wouldn’t be able to. Unless the shrimp was incredibly sick, or dead, it just wouldn’t happen. 

• Like 2

Ok crabby, we will just agree to disagree, have had Assassin,s before without issue but never seen anything like this, remaining shrimp seem to be moving no around better and in the open now they are separated.