My Taitibees

• HOF Member

After much help I can finally put up my video - thank you Simon . This is my Aqua One 980 approximately 210 litre oversized 3 foot tank. I have a mixture of Taitibees with pinto, zebra and galaxy genes in here with my rescued Bloody Mary Neos and a couple of blues that got caught accidentally. This will be my mainly black Taitibee tank but it has a number of BlueBolts as well. The big plants are Windelov Java ferns that are about 8 years worth of growth. 
 https://www.dropbox.com/s/3v5eipc0zzgiw08/2021-06-27 16.58.44.mov?dl=0

• Like 3

A great video, the shrimps have plenty of room and the colours are fantastic, I especially like the blue  bolts and the bloody mary! I will have to see if I can trace some of that Java Fern Windelov over here as that is much prettier than my standard Java Fern. You have plenty of space for the next generation as well?

Simon

• Like 2

• HOF Member

Yes my tank is vastly under stocked with about 100 shrimp. I’ve had many more in the past in there. Yesterday only a few came out . Here is a picture of an earlier period image.thumb.jpg.28cec17191191ce955986e211a79228b.jpgimage.thumb.jpeg.22ebc52976a779c3dec463f2fd6f91c2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b7049b41b3c3342cf3f607862695b9d9.jpeg596ea7c3a50bc_IMG_20170511_115953_zpspx2nqeth(1).thumb.JPG.7ea57080c9f07da6a562ce326ee741a9.JPG

• Like 2

I am so jealous, my thing was the original taiwan bee types and you had loads of those........

Love the yellow neos as well! More lovely clear photos!

I think the more you have, the happier they are to come out and show themselves?

Simon

• Like 2

• HOF Member

Thanks Simon I did have some beautiful shrimp back then and I agree when you have a larger number of shrimp they do come out more. Hopefully I will have a larger colony again when they start breeding. My shrimp rarely breed over winter except the Neos they are breeding machines. I have separated out the red Taitibees for now to try and increase their numbers but I will eventually put them back into the big tank. 

• Like 1

Lovely tank and shrimps Ineke.

Always love seeing your shrimps. So colourful.

This should inspire some people to build up a mixed tank.

• Like 2

• HOF Member

Thanks JayC. The pictures are from the time i had my room the video is current. 

It’s good for new shrimp keepers to see mixed tanks can work but its best to use water parameters for the Caridina  species the Neos adapt very well to the lower ph and TDS. In fact you need to watch they don’t outbreed the Caridinas , they can also bully the Caridinas at feeding times being somewhat more aggressive but on the whole I've never had issues mixing them.

• Like 3

That tank is absolutely amazing ? 

Loving the windelov Java. Shrimp look great. Such a classic scape. No wonder you kept that tank.

• Like 2

• HOF Member

It will be lovely once the shrimp numbers build up again. I caught all the red Taitibees and black, blue and chocolate Neos out for some easier selective breeding.Having a large tank is great but trying to catch individual shrimp is so hard.
By splitting the colony it will be easier, I can leave the black Taitibees  and the BlueBolts - they are Taitibees as well- to breed and then the reds can be picked over . I will take out any Red males I don’t particularly think will help improve the quality and keep all the females to build up their numbers . Once I have a reasonable number of females I will buy some males that are more like what I’m after - galaxy types- then the fun can begin. I know I could just buy an existing colony but what’s the fun in that. I’ve played with hybrids from when the first Tibees  were introduced by Ninja back in 2013/14 and just love not knowing what you might ge. Nearly all the TB in the picture with the Yellow Neos are Taitibees. It took several years to build up and it was enthralling watching the colony grow. We didn’t have access to the type of shrimp you can get now . 
Hopefully by the end of the year the numbers will be better and the big tank will be worth looking at again.
This picture is one of my very first Tibee, she gave me lots of lovely babies. She also was a “giant”Tibee and for many years people were very surprised by the size of some of my shrimp , they were quite big. The downside to the giant gene was they bred later in their life - if they weren’t sterile- and might only have 2 or 3 clutches of eggs at around 18 months and then promptly died. 

2A9E4ED6-FFCC-4EAE-8A45-8A36789F2C15.jpeg

• Like 2

She is very pretty and unusual!

The thing I liked about my mixed Taiwan bee tank was that you never knew what you would get for the offspring, I ended up with so many different colours and patterns it was beautiful, I got a few skunk(?) or wishbone as well before the disaster!

Your photos almost inspire me to try again, but I have fish in the tank at the moment (with wild cherry shrimp culls) and they are doing well, but when they start dying off I may get friends round to re-try Taiwan bee again, I have the substrate already???

Simon 

• Like 2

• HOF Member

When I closed my shrimp room I gave away most of my shrimp apart from a few old ones that I felt it was unfair to move on both for the receivers and for the shrimp themselves and my outdoor shrimp . I kept a 60 litre tank for the shrimp and changed my big tank over to a fish tank. Hubby likes looking at fish so I kept them for a year or so but we both missed the shrimp. So I can understand what you are saying. I eventually gave away the fish and grabbed the best shrimp from the pond plus what I had left in the 60 litre tank and started over. I also bought and was given some very nice “culls” from Marcus. That’s what I’m playing with now. I’m looking forward to seeing what I end up with once they start breeding. 
My last giant gene female is berried at the moment, she is a very pale red , hopefully she lasts long enough to hatch her eggs . She would be close to 2 now so won’t be around much longer. She probably mated with one of the black boys but is now in the red tank. If she does carry the eggs to term - another week or so - it will be interesting plus I get a few more of the larger shrimp. If she dies before the eggs hatch I will try to rescue them. If I see her tomorrow I will get a picture of her with another shrimp for comparison to show the size difference. If she wasn’t berried I would catch her out but I don’t want to chase her around. 

• Like 3

• HOF Member

Finally got a picture of my big Taitibee with the giant gene . The black shrimp near her is a normal size so you can see she is a big girl.8076CF51-B2B2-490A-B745-968396899FBF.thumb.jpeg.c4b17c05061740cc1e3d2901b31fc8a9.jpeg

• Like 3

She certainly is a big one! Do you think she is crossed with another type of Caridina maybe?

Simon

• HOF Member

The gene comes from the original Tibees. The F1 Tibees I was lucky enough to be given when they were first introduced in Australia. I was given some that were supposed to be males but 1 was a female. Originally I was asked not to use them to breed with but once they were established I was given the go ahead. They became the foundation of my hybrid line . I still find large progeny showing up. 
I had put a lot of culls outside and most of them must carry the Gene.

I’m not sure where the gene comes from but probably if we could find some of Ninja’s early posts the answer might be in there. BlueBolts may also know a bit more as he had a lot to do with Ninja/ Judy . JayC may remember too. We had an auction where the Tibees first made their debut and started a whole new way of breeding Taiwan Bees. 
Tibees originally were a CRS x Tiger , then Taitibees were made by Taiwan Bees x Tiger. I’m pretty sure there is a large post about TBM , TBMM. It was an exciting time to be able to be in on the start of the hybrids but unfortunately it also diluted our very small pure bred lines. People crossing different shrimp and eventually getting pintos and zebras etc. Now it’s hard to find pure TB kept in their particular colour groups rather than the mixed colonies like mine were

5BDC1C8D-6B84-4B34-A61A-EF9A9D3F1A1C.jpeg

• Like 1

Great photo! Fabulous colours!

I know what you mean about the mixed genes. When Istarted ut with the TB I only bout a few red wine, red ruby and some blue bolt/steel, less than a dozen. They were ebay purcases so I had no way of knowing what genes they were likely to carry. I ended up with 100-200 (est) of every TB colour combo there was then and even a few oddballs towards the end!

I did love the mix and never knowing what would come next, and you don't get any boring (revert to wild) offspring!

Simon

• Like 1

• HOF Member

This is another one of my original Tibees 

9B0032D7-013D-4C96-8E3F-A1EB01103429.jpeg

Yes my love for hybrids was well known here on SKF . They are still what I breed because you can have a variety of colours in 1 tank. I did keep the individual colours in separate tanks as well but of course once I closed my room I had to choose what to keep so my “ mongrels “ won the day.

• Like 3