iPhone X videos

ineke

• HOF Member

My grand daughter gave me an iPhone X and although it’s great I’m not taking as many good pictures as my last phone did. Now I have an issue with the accepted file ending for videos- the forum doesn’t accept the video direct from my phone. Is there a particular app that I can download so I can upload my video. I’m an old relic and not particularly computer literate so need an easy explanation please if anyone can help. I can easily upload my photos so its only the video extension that is the problem.

• Like 1

Try sending a video to me direct [email protected] and I will have a look, though I am not very computer savvy myself, but I have time to play about and maybe learn something new!

Like you, I was given an iphone by my niece, it is in a draw in case of emergency, landline cut off etc, I'm not a fan........

Simon

I don't think you can add video directly to this site, Jpeg is photo, my bad!

Others that have put videos on here have attached a link to a HOST site where the video is stored, youtube, facebook etc. I assume because file sizes for video storgage is usualy very large?

I don't know whether you have a host site where you keep photos on the internet, if you do then I think you just copy and paste the link into the posting?

Simon

• HOF Member

Ok thanks Simon . I use Dropbox but I’ve tried to send from there but it didn’t work. For now I will just take pictures 

• Like 1

• HOF Member

Ok let me give it another try

No luck the file extension is still wrong ?

• Like 1

The file attachment on that other post was a .MOV, but it shouldn't matter anyway as it is only a link so plays on dropbox when you click on the link and has nothing to do with the SKF website!

Click on the link to the post above and then click on the link in the thread to see how it should work, but as we all know with these machines it rarely works properly??

Simon

• HOF Member

I’ve been trying to find what my actual file extension for the video is. I also checked and the amount of mb of the file is very large so I would need to take smaller videos this one is just over a minute and 59 mb I think . I might go back to my trusty Nikon camera and try . I’m sure I’ve used that for videos or failing that I could go back to my older phone . 
Poh well it will give me something to play with next week.

Thanks for trying Simon. 

• Like 1

The file extension on the email you sent me was .MOV, it was 19MB and 1 minute. It mmay be too high resolution so you could try a lesser resolution on the iphone? If you click on settings and scroll down to camera and click on record video and pick a lower resolution (ie my lowest is 720p). Your iphone I expect is much nnewer than mine so it may be a little different? Have a bash................

Simon

• HOF Member

It’s definitely to do with the file extension name . I changed the settings to 720 but it still isn’t acceptable. I don’t think I can change the extension. It’s just what my iPhone names the videos. 

• Like 1

You are right that you cannot change the file extension on the phone. Bit weird though as the other post used dropbox with .MOV and it worked? You are trying to copy/paste the link are you, not the file?

Simon

• Like 1

Sounds like you need an "Iphone video to MP4" converter.

Lots of free apps to do that if you just google that phrase above.

• Like 1

• HOF Member

I have found the setting on my phone actually already have a format that I can use that will make the video acceptable . So tomorrow I will try a new video. Thanks guys amazing what old mr google can tell you once you know what to ask

• Like 1

• HOF Member

Well unfortunately that didn’t work either. I’ve tried the apps but the MP4 format wasn’t accepted. I will just have to take pictures for now and maybe look for my older phone or Nikon camera if I just really want a video. For now I will just get back to shrimp ?

• Like 1

I don't think any video formats are listed on the attachments so I think you have to do a link. If you sed me the link to the dropbox video I will have a go, I have a few ideas????? I will be out of ideas after that though..............

I tried MPEG last night and WebM but they wouldn't download either?

Simon

[email protected] 

Edited by sdlTBfanUK

• HOF Member

I think the video I sent you last night was from Dropbox. I’m not too fussed anymore photos will do . 

• Like 1

OK, look forward to seeing photos! I have the video, watched it again this morning, but I would need the actual dropbox link to it to go any further, I don't use a HOST service otherwise I could put it on mine and go from there?

Simon

• HOF Member

I’m not sure how to link it. I’m not very computer literate. 

• Like 1

• HOF Member

I sent a link to your Gmail. Hope it’s what you need. I’m surprising myself finding out “stuff” LOL 

• Like 1

I think you have it sussed now, try clicking on the attached link (unchanged from the one you sent me) and if it works then that is what you do in future!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3v5eipc0zzgiw08/2021-06-27 16.58.44.mov?dl=0

What a fantastic mixture you have!

Simon

ps let me know if it doesn't work, or you are not sure on something?

Edited by sdlTBfanUK
  • Like 1

• HOF Member

Simon when I click on the link it takes me to my Dropbox account and I can see my other files. Will other people see them too? Did you only see the video or the rest of my pictures too if it gives access to all my pictures then I need to remove the link 

Edited by ineke
  • Like 1

I clicked on it and it only shows that video, you can probably see more as that site is linked to whatever products/devices you use! It does say login on the right but obviously only you know that, so it is quite safe.

You may want to start another thread to put your videos on so you don't have all this attached!

Simon

ps I can delete the above link if you want me too and you feel better/safer?

• Like 1