is it cycled or is it not???

ineke

• HOF Member

I everyone I'm a long time member of SKF but due to health reasons had to shut my shrimp room down and consequently have been very quiet on the forum although I have been lurking. I still have a few tanks but no longer do selective breeding. I warn you I have verbal  diarrhoea once I get started with my questions -just saying.

I have a bit of a conundrum -well for me anyway. On Monday I emptied my 210 litre tank - gosh it took a very very long time to catch all the babies but I got there in the end. I saved 3/4 of the water for reuse. I have 2 canister filters plus 2 jumbo sponge filters which I carefully stored so I could keep the beneficial bacteria alive. I took out the substrate and replaced it with some more  Benibachi substrate that had been used in my closed tanks for about 4months from new. I put the water back in  to the tank , replaced the plants and topped up with RO water. Started the filters going and in the morning I had a crystal clear tank.

I decided to do a quick ammonia test for a starting point and was amazed that it was yellow or the desired level. I thought that's a bit quick I will check tomorrow. This morning I did a full test -ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, KH, GH, PH and TDS. I was completely surprised that everything came back as pretty well spot on for my cycled tanks. 

Now I'm a bit concerned could these readings be right? I would have thought that there should at least have been a spike in ammonia as the substrate had been disturbed. My test kit- API Master fresh water kit is relatively new from late last year so that isn't a problem and the 2 other tanks I have all read pretty well within the desired limits apart from a bit of nitrates. I guess have 2 large canisters full of seeded material it is possible .

I'm thinking I will put some culls in and see how they go but just want some thoughts as to whether it is possible for the tank to have cycled that quickly. My main concern is that the ammonia might still spike so I don't want to take a chance and kill my best shrimp -I don't want to kill the culls either but better them than my good ones. Should I just leave it a week and retest ? So any thoughts anyone?

• Like 1

I would thnk everything is ok as the sustrate was used and passed the point it may cause a spike, but just check it for a week (occassionally ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, you could leave it for the week but I would prefer the extra peace of mind you will have from more frequent testing for this week) and try some culls now to be on the safe side! Using the old water will have helped, undoubtedly! There doesn't sound like anything mentioned would cause anything other than what you have seen, but I understand your concern, rarely does everything go so well in this hobby, but with your years of experience and from your post all looks great - I will however keep my fingers crossed................

It is always great to have past members return and hear how it is going? I have read many of your old posts with interest.

Simon

• Like 1

• HOF Member

Thanks Simon . I just needed someone else’s thoughts. I will pop a few culls in over the weekend if the ammonia hasn’t spiked. Better to be over cautious than sorry. It just didn’t seem right that there was no spike but I guess 2 large canisters full of bacteria are a big help too.

I will let you know how the culls go after the weekend. 
As you say sometimes things just go right but not very often when you have TB type shrimp involved ?

No not really I’ve been very lucky over the years with no actual disasters with my shrimp.

• Like 1

Hi Ineke! I must say, I was pretty surprised to see a post from you, it’s always pretty interesting to see a past member come back to the forum. Some of your posts were really helpful to me when I was getting started with shrimp, so thanks!

I think I would personally wait a week to be sure, but to be honest, I can’t see any reason for an ammonia spike. If the substrate has already run for 4 months, and you have 4 fully cycled filters, I reckon you should be fine. Definitely go culls first though. 

• Like 1

• HOF Member

Hi Crabby, I’ve been popping in and out quite often and answered a few questions here and there . 
Im glad to have been of so assistance to fellow shrimp keepers over the years. 
It’s a bit sad to see the forum so quiet. We were a very active and friendly bunch over the years. Helping each other out, giving away shrimp to new members who showed interest. Even playing games between us and generally having fun while learning about our new hobby.

As to my tank the reason I queried about the spike of ammonia is mainly because if you play with substrate , move it around etc you can cause a small spike. As my substrate had been outside for quite some time I fully expected it to take a week or so to go through a mini cycle. I’m pleasantly surprised that it still isn’t showing any change just the tiniest bit of nitrate so tomorrow i will catch out 20 culls I have in my pond outside and see how they go. I need a reasonable number because it’s a big tank - if I only put 1 or 2 in I might never see them.
I’m wanting to put all my black pinto, galaxy and Taitibees into the tank plus some Blue Bolts and Steel Blues. I will also put my Bloody Mary’s in for a contrasting colour. I only have 3 tanks now so it’s a bit hard to do proper selective breeding but as all my shrimp are hybrids it doesn’t really matter about mixing them.

That leaves a tank for my Red pintos and Taitibees and a tank for fancy Tiger patterns and Blue Diamonds. That should keep me happy again.?

• Like 2

Hi Ineke,

good to see you are still around.

On 6/16/2021 at 3:33 PM, ineke said:

Now I'm a bit concerned could these readings be right?

I don't see why it wouldn't be right.

Mature filter with lots of beneficial bacteria already on it.

Mature substrate that has most of the nitrogen already leaked out.

Old water used.

You have essentially recreated a mature tank using those "old" items in a newly setup tank. 

So yes, your tank should be cycled and you should be able to add livestock immediately.

• Like 1

• HOF Member

Hi JayC , 

it seems I did all the right things . As I’ve mentioned I just thought there should be a mini cycle. The readings remain good so I will introduce some culls and see how they go. If we can work out how to allow pictures on my posts again I will keep the forum up to date on how the tank does over the next few weeks. 
I have a mixture of my leftover shrimp and some “ culls” from Marcus/ BlueBolts to play with 

• Like 1

• HOF Member

As promised an update on my tank. The water parameters stayed stable over the weekend and the culls survived for 3 days  so last night I bit the bullet and put the good shrimp back in. All looking good with shrimp happily grazing on the algae on the side and back walls. 

I can't show any photos as I'm over my limit sorry

• Like 3

Great news and I hope it all carries on well!

Just as an interesting trial, why not email me your photo(s) youwanted to attach to thispost and I will see if I can edit it into it??? [email protected], unless you can send it through the messages on here, but thats unlikely? Hopefully we can get you sorted more permanently but I would be interested to know if this works - I'm not very computer literate?

Simon

Edited by sdlTBfanUK
  • Like 1

• HOF Member

Thanks Simon. I haven’t taken any pictures yet but will remember to try the email when i take some. Hopefully i hear about my posting soon. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ineke said:

Hopefully i hear about my posting soon. 

Hang in there. The Admins and Mods are working something out.

Don't delete any informative content just yet.

• Like 2

@ineke

Please see your PM.

Congrats!!!

Edited by jayc
  • Like 2

• HOF Member

Awesome news from the Admins and Moderators. Thank you very much for the honour. 

Looks like I will be able to post pictures again . I will try to keep my posts short- but don't count on it ! Thanks again , much appreciated.

• Like 2