Berried Red Rili

Skrimpy

I 4 tanks going right now,  nothing fancy but my shrimp tank I'm in LOVE with I can't get over them and constantly want more, will it looks like one of my red cherries got to my female Red Rili and eggs are now berried... I already have 2 berried mama ghosts in a nursery with breeding boxes. Should I move her to and risk her dropping her eggs or let her be?  I'm afraid there isn't enough plant coverage till they are bigger... I already have babies in the nursery too, they ghosts, I'm new to it all but learning very quickly. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Skrimpy said:

Should I move her to and risk her dropping her eggs or let her be?

Do you really need to move them? 

If you do, then the safest way is to ensure that the berried shrimps are in water at all times during the move.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No, I suppose not,  just really worried about having enough plant coverage,  it's mainly shrimp- some ghost, 2 cherries,1red rili, 1 blue bolt and an orange bumble bee. 1 pygmy Cory, 1 otocinclus catfish and a few nerites. I know one of the cherries is responsible for this and i know about culling and things of that nature but I would really be upset if none of the babies make it

• Like 1

I think you should leave her where she is as therec are no predarors in the tank. I'm notsurewhy you think there isn't enough plant coverage as some pepole have zero plants??? The less the shrimps are messed with the better, especially when berried!

Simon

Edited by sdlTBfanUK
  • Like 1

Thank you, I'm glad to hear that it should be fine, I'll leave her be and hope for the best. I'm new to all of this and just want to do it right. I'm looking forward to seeing what I get from her and the rcs This was not an intentional breeding,  but I am excited. 

• Like 1

Well... unfortunately even without moving her she dropped probably 3/4 of her eggs... but I must have 1 male and 1 female rcs bc 1 is berried, I still have a berried ghost and one that laid 2 days ago, not gonna lie I was excited for her,  but at least a cherry is berried

• Like 1

Are you sure you have a male as I imagine femaesstill produce eggs whether there is a male or not (same as humanns, chickens etc) and may have dropped them because they weren't fertilised? With so few shrimp the chances are they may be same sex and they are different types so won't be able to breed with all of them? Try looking close and seeing if you can see what sex they are?

https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/topic/14104-telling-male-from-female-shrimp/

Simon

• Like 3

Totally possible that they weren't fertilized!  Thank you for sharing the video, it helps!! Her eggs only stayed yellow... one of the cherries is moving green berries with its swimmerets so I'm guessing it's a female, I'll look at some more of the characteristics as I'm new to all of this.

Thank you again! 

An article I had read said that if the eggs drop from the saddle to the belly that they travel the same path as the sperm so if they make it to the belly that they are fertilized,  hence why I got so excited. Has anyone else heard this or is there any truth to it? 

• Like 2

Not my area of experties but the eggs I would imagine have to go the same route whether fertilized or not, they couldnt stay in the saddle area for ever, but I think yuo are correct that that is where they usually get fertilized, passing from the saddle to the underbelly!

Fingers crossed the other cherry shrimp may have fertilized eggs and produce shrimplets, then you are sorted. I would expect the eggs to go grey, as the  babies are born clear and colour up a few days later! If you have a magnifying glass you may beale to see black dots (eyes) in the eggs, then those are 'good' eggs with shrimp inside? Any newborn shrimplet is so small so you may not see them for a week or two once the eggs hatch! 

Fingers crossed that you get shrimplets with this other shrimp, otherwise I guess you ned to go hunting for a male?

Simon

• Like 2

Exciting to think it's a possibility, I may have one of each. I have 2 different groups of ghost babies, at 2 weeks I can't see them anymore the newborns remind me of the Sea Monkeys, they crack me up. Thank you for all the wonderful feedback!

• Like 2