Sign in to follow this  
fishmosy

Melanoides sp. snails

fishmosy

Just a pic and a video of a Melanoides sp. snail I keep with my shrimp. These guys are native, have great colouration, are active and haven't eaten any plants yet (although I'm yet to really test this with softer plant varieties).

A perfect tankmate for your native shrimp.

C7FFF892-97D4-463E-A0FA-0AF8BCA25E71-347-000000DA1469CEF0.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQxSKvOWD-k&feature=youtu.be

smicko

Hi mate great looking snail do these breed in tanks and if so do you have any to sell. Always looking for something different.

Cheers Mick

BlueBolts

Very nice. Are all snails including native snails not permitted to be send to WA .

fishmosy
Hi mate great looking snail do these breed in tanks and if so do you have any to sell. Always looking for something different.

Cheers Mick

I don't have any spare and am in the process of getting more. I haven't had mine long enough to breed them. i'm still trying to find out more about them as there isn't alot of info on them. If you want some, contact Bob aka Northboy.

fishmosy
Very nice. Are all snails including native snails not permitted to be send to WA .

thats correct BB. My understanding is that it is because since cattle fluke doesn't occur in WA and it requires a snail host, all snails and plants are banned from transport into WA unless the plants are treated to kill the snails, which most often kills the plants too.

Baccus

I have some very similar ones of these that are blue/ black

P1060345.jpg

Mine have gotten quite long now and have shown no interest in eating my plants or escaping out of my tanks via the open tops. They wonder up on to the glass mostly at night and like MTS will spend a lot of time in the substrate.

Mine where supplied by Bob aka Northboy, and I have not regretted getting them.

My snails may still be too young to breed, or they just have not got the right condtions, but in a way not breeding in my tank is a good thing.... goodness knows I have more than enough Rams horns, MTS and pond snails to deal with

northboy

Good one guys, snails rock all except MTS LOL. The more people keeping them the better as we have some beauties in Australia.

I am not really sure yet got to test them, but I think we have found a trumpet snail that eats other snails especially MTS

Bob

northboy

OH forgot to say, you 2 have the same species of snail just from different areas.

Bob

Baccus

So you think you may have found an Aussie equivelent of Assassin snails? Great, I am sick to death of hearing on overseas forums "have a problem with snails get an assassin snail", when I know I can't have them in OZ. I have a few million MTS I would be willing to trail these other snails on ;), the only trouble is I bet they will prey on other wanted snails too. And I do know that assassin snails apparently breed pretty freely in aquariums just not as insanely as MTS which assassin snails mainly hunt.

Still very interesting that we may finely have a biological control for snails aside from loaches.

fishmosy
OH forgot to say' date=' you 2 have the same species of snail just from different areas.

Bob[/quote']

Are you certain they are the same species Bob, both the shell and mantle colouration are quite different? Wouldn't mind a few of the blue variant please.

fishmosy
So you think you may have found an Aussie equivelent of Assassin snails? Great' date=' I am sick to death of hearing on overseas forums "have a problem with snails get an assassin snail", when I know I can't have them in OZ. I have a few million MTS I would be willing to trail these other snails on ;), the only trouble is I bet they will prey on other wanted snails too. And I do know that assassin snails apparently breed pretty freely in aquariums just not as insanely as MTS which assassin snails mainly hunt.

Still very interesting that we may finely have a biological control for snails aside from loaches.[/quote']

Too true mate. How popular would an aussie assassin snail be here?

Baccus

I reckon once known about, every hobbiest and pet shop in Australia would be screaming out for them.

bailey88

I want one lol if they knock off unwanted snails I've got heaps I can't shake them tried the no feeding tried the squishing but they just come back by the hundreds :( I know they are good and what not but they are just plain ugly to look at lol where as this snail and the other ones those other snails another member just posted Bout (baccas )