Crabby & Frosty’s Mischling Tank

Crabby

Hey folks!

This thread is intended as a documentation (and space to ask questions of course) of @Frosty and my venture into caridina shrimp. 
We’re starting off this weekend with 15-20 mischling shrimp (tibee x CBS), and maybe in a couple months if everything is going well we can add some TTS or KK or pandas or something. 

The tank is a 4ft, with inert gravel and rocks, lots of moss, Java fern (crested and regular) and assorted crypts, and a couple big pieces of driftwood. 

Current parameters are the following (please advise us if you think we should fix anything):

22°, 6.8 pH (we might try ageing our water change water with peat moss, so with a couple water changes we’ll bring this down to 6.4-6.6), 3GH, 2KH, and 0 nitrates, nitrites and ammonia. 

We’re thinking maybe to make it more interesting to the average onlooker, we might add a small school of chilli rasboras, but that’s hopefully going to be it for fish. 
The tank is in direct sunlight, so there’s a possibility we’ll need ottos at some stage.

I’ll update later with photos and our plans. Please let me know if you’ve got any advice!

Cheers!

Edited by Crabby
  • Like 2
sdlTBfanUK

It sounds like you are on top of it. The PH could be lower, as could the KH which is a bit more concerning, but I assume you are using tapwater and hopefully it will work but don't get too many shrimp until you are sure the shrimp will do ok in the water, esecially as they  won't be cheap shrimp? You may be wiser to buy whichever you want, that are the cheapest for the initial try/tester this weekend?

I have the chilli rasbora in my  old taiwan bee tank, now with wild red cherry shrimp, and a killie. As these shrimp are almost invisible most of the time, it is good to have something to see in the tank, and it adds another dimension.The water parameters are totally off for the neocaridina yet they survive - they were dumped in the tankwhen smallera food for the killie..............

I'm sure you are already aware though that even these small fish will eat new born shrimp so it will need to be quite densly planted, and you just have to accept this will happen, and that you will get less of the shrimp offspring survive?

You may also needsometype of water cooler if it is in sunlght in Australia?

Look forward to seeing photos and hearing how it goes!

Simon

Edited by sdlTBfanUK
  • Like 1
Crabby
On 5/21/2021 at 5:49 PM, sdlTBfanUK said:

The PH could be lower, as could the KH which is a bit more concerning

Yeah, we’re trying to sort out the pH and KH with this ‘ageing water w/ peat moss’ idea, so hopefully that’ll work. 
I also got a TDS pen this weekend, and I haven’t had time to measure that tank yet (just their QT tank, which is perfect for every parameter!), but I’ve been playing around with it and I was surprised to find that I only have 26ppm of total dissolved solids coming out of the tap! So when doing water changes, my tap water serves almost as RO water! I think this may be why my previous attempts with shrimp have not gone very well. I was doing 20% water changes with tap water, which must have been really messing with the tds. I think with this new tank, we’ll be doing very slight water changes and trying to match parameters as best we can. And with my shrimp tanks at home, I’ll be going back to taking water from my main tank for water changes (and again doing very slight WCs). 
To be honest, that could explain why the times that I had no losses were when I had long periods where I wouldn’t touch the tank. 

You may also need some type of water cooler if it is in sunlght in Australia?

We should be fine, it’s not constant, just little rays of direct sunlight that slip through the trees every once in a while. But it looks fabulous when that comes through.

I'm sure you are already aware though that even these small fish will eat new born shrimp so it will need to be quite densly planted, and you just have to accept this will happen, and that you will get less of the shrimp offspring survive?

Yeah well if we do decide to add them, it would be in a while once the colony has stabilised and started growing. And once the plants have grown in.

In terms of the shrimp, the guy failed to respond when I asked for his address multiple times (gumtree seller), so I guess we’ll see if we end up actually getting those mischlings. I’m hoping it was an accident, and I can pick them up next weekend.

• Like 1
jayc
48 minutes ago, Crabby said:

I also got a TDS pen this weekend

I am surprised you did not have a TDS pen until now.

Looks like you will need to start looking into remineralising soon too. 

• Like 1
Crabby
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, jayc said:

I am surprised you did not have a TDS pen until now.

I know, I’ve been meaning to get one for over a year. Glad I finally did. Unfortunately, I tested the tank today and it came out with a TDS of 40… which is great fun, because it means either the test kit is measuring GH and KH wrong, or the TDS pen I just bought doesn’t work (as 1 degree hardness is equivalent to 17.9ppm, and TDS should include measures of hardness like GH and KH). Yay. 

Edited by Crabby
  • Like 2
jayc

Has @Frosty got a TDS pen you can use as a comparison?

I would lean towards the GH/KH test kit being inaccurate.

• Like 1
Crabby

No, we don’t have any access to other TDS pens, but we have multiple test kits so we can try that. 
I’m currently thinking it’s the TDS pen, just because it’s got a temperature feature that’s a tad broken. But I’m not sure, cuz everything other tank seems right for tds. 

• Like 1
sdlTBfanUK

Where did you get the TDS pen from,I'm sure there are many fakes on places like ebay etc?  Also check the 2 prongs are straight and parallel as if not that will give a different result.

Simon

• Like 1
Crabby

It’s from Amazon, but I’m pretty sure it should be fine. I’ll check the prongs. Cheers.

• Like 1
sdlTBfanUK

I have just looked at my tds pen, there should also be a small hole on the back if it is a real one, I believe the fakes don't have the hole?

Simon

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• sdlTBfanUK
      By sdlTBfanUK
      Anyone with very large, or many tanks will probably not be interested in this, aside from curiosity maybe, as I doubt this is cheaper than buying RO water. I am writing this purely in case it may help someone else who wants an easy alternative to RO water.
      I am housebound (have MS) and as such needed to find an easy alternative to RO water if I were to keep Taiwan bee shrimp successfully. I have red cherry shrimp in my 30L FISH tank (neon tetras, ember tetras, endler guppies) and they do well with virtually nil care (or attention since I mastered the TBs) other than dechlorinated tap water (which is needed for the fish anyway) so I won't go any further on that subject.
      About 3-4 years ago I set up a 15L shrimp tank and tried BRITA filtered tap water, but had no real success with that and so 2 years ago closed the tank down and stored it away assuming then that that would be it, no Taiwan Bee shrimp ever....... but after 2 years of no success, at that point it was a bit of a relief anyway to just be done and out of the way. You will see from the Tap water readings below that in theory the Parameters were pretty good but from my experiences I think you need to go back to NIL (so either RO or the zerowater) and remineralise as I guess that way you know what the tests are picking up is only what the shrimp need - this is only my belief I don't really know, but ie the tap water TDS (Ph, Gh, Kh etc) was ok but what was in the Tap water to make the TDS reading what it was, if that makes sense? I have read on many sites of people trying tap water , as I did, with good parameters but it not working so that is my theory anyway! And of course domestic water supply parameters can change and if there has been any repairs in the system that will change it etc so from my experience only way to go is take it back to NIL and remineralise.......
      A year ago (about a year after closing down the old shrimp tank) I came across a water filter jug from zerowater (www.zerowater.co.uk), an american product which I believe is available in Australia on Amazon, but may also be in shops out there for all I know). I thought, why not give that ago.... so I set up the old tank Oct 2017 (15L with the back part partitioned of for filter etc so probably 12L of useable aquarium) put some soil in and a few bits of Java fern and moss from the fish tank and ran it with the zerowater for a couple of months. I didn't ever get any Ammonia, Nitrite, or Nitrate reading but did see a bacteria bloom for a few days. I treated the zerowater as you would RO water, so added shrimp king mineral fluid gh+. There is a lot of info on the website about what it removes etc.
      Tap water PH7, Gh 5-6, Kh 3-4, TDS 174
      Zerowater Ph6, Gh 0-1, kh 0-1, TDS 000
      I added 6 blue bolts about 6-8 weeks later, then some red ruby  and red wine a few weeks later and 3 blue steel in March 2018. All went quite well, though there were a few deaths but that may have been me as I am NO expert, I do drip acclimatise though. April 2018 Eggs started appearing (difficult to see on TB) and by the end of that month shrimplets, woohoo!
      Time for the new tank, dennerle 35L scapers which I got in May 2018 which I ran for a month with the zerowater, 2 cheap sponge only filters, heater, light, rock, wood, java fern, soil etc, and one sacrificial fish (don't worry he went in the fish tank afterwards as he survived). Then I transferred shrimps a dozen every other day(ish) etc. At this point I was obviously shutting down the small tank and although I had only bought a dozen shrimps originally, when I started removing stuff it turned out I had about 90 baby/juvenile shrimp in the tank, most were probably only days old (probably wasn't wise to transfer them at that stage really but I had too many anyway and wanted to get the old tank out of the way, as it was on the dining table). I THINK WE CAN SAFELY SAY THAT I HAVE CRACKED IT NOW, WITH THE HELP OF THE ZEROWATER FILTER JUG. So closed down the 15L end of June 2018. Daily now I see about 50 shrimps of half to full size in the new setup but haven't yet had any success with babies (though most of the shrimps may not yet be mature enough as I believe they need to be 6 months+), and with the hot spell (unusual for here when tank got to 30 degrees) and with me fine tuning the parameters, done now thankfully PH5.5-6, Gh 4.5, Kh 0-1, TDS 160 (something incidently I probably wouldn't have had to do if I had added the Gh+ from day 1 with the new tank). I will say that I NEVER had any Ammonia, Nitrate or Nitrite readings in the new tank either, but as with the small starter tank there were a couple of days of bacteria bloom. I expect babies will happen now I have stopped messing with the parameters, but there is always option B, set up the old small tank and use as a breeding tank, or C, buy more shrimps???? With the shock of how many babies there were hiding in the small tank, there could well be loads of babies in the new tank that are hiding anyway. I will give that a rethink if there haven't been any babies by xmas, though I have enough anyway at present. The only other things that may now affect babies (ie different than the smaller tank) is, the jets from the filters are a bit strong and circulate the water in the tank more, and I have rock (actually Geodes) in the tank???
      I change 2L of water each week, mainly so I can squeeze the 2 sponges from the 2 filters and just clean the glass etc. I also use Fulvic acid, beta glucan and am just starting on bacter ae (hoping that may help babies). As with RO water, top up is pure zerowater and water change is zerowater with GH+ added.
      Each zerowater filter does about 100L of my water (about 6-8 months worth) but there is info on the website above that shows how many it will do on different TDS basic water etc. The filters aren't cheap at £20 each (I have bought 4 for £50 so much more reasonable, and they don't have a shelf life anyway. They are of course available readily in USA in places like Walmart as it is an American product. If anyone knows where you can get them in other countries it may be a good idea to add it to this string/topic etc to help others, as mentioned before I THINK you can get them on amazon.com.au for Australia.
      If anyone wants to ask any questions I will do my best to answer, but I am NO EXPERT by any measure.

Update 27 Sep 2018
      I am daily seeing babies, in small numbers (all colour varieties), but from the top picture you can see there are a vast number of hiding places anyway, so there must be others. I have also seen a couple of shrimps heavy with eggs, grey, so they must be near birth...............
      I will keep this updated if there is anything worth reporting, or there seems to be any problems with using the zerowater filter jug as a substitute for RO water but so far (1 year now) all has been very successful.
      Update 7 Oct 2018
      Probably be the last update - unless all goes wrong etc
      I am seeing lots of babies of varying sizes and patterns now (20 today), so much so that I am going to have to start culling to make room for just the ones I really want to keep, and enough room/food etc for babies! I will try taking one big one out each week when I do maintenance and see how that goes!
      Any questions just ask!
      BIG UPDATE 24 MARCH 2020
      MORRISONS SUPERMARKETS HAVE STARTED SELLING ZEROWATER HERE IN THE UK!
      ALSO OCADO SELL ZEROWATER IN THE UK!
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Exciting news: I just purchased 15 tangerine tiger shrimp from a local breeder, in exchange for some of my abundance of endler fry. I’m starting the drip acclimation now, along with my other two tts males who I’m moving from my larger tank. I’ll add some photos down below once they’re in the tank. Will acclimate another hour and a half probably, and feed the fish a bit extra before they go in for safety. There’s heaps of good hiding places in this tank, and I can’t wait to see the shrimp utilising them (or hopefully not even see them)!
      Will update soon.
      Cheers,
      Crabby
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey everyone,
      I was recently (meaning today) given the opportunity to set up a breeding tank for some native inverts (or some harder to breed fish I guess, but I want to go for shrimp) in a fishroom I help out in. I've been trying to decide what native shrimp I want to try breeding, but then I remembered that it's not as simple as exotics. Can I get some input from the 'experts' (@Grubs, @NoGi, @Baccus, @fishmosy, @jayc of course, I know most of you aren't very active anymore, but I would appreciate your help if you see this message) on what native invert you guys think is easiest to breed (for a semi-noob who hasn't kept natives before). I can set it up as brackish I think, we have an archer fish tank there and are setting up a saltwater as well so should have access to those tools and materials.  
      Cheers!
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, I’m really wanting to get freshwater crabs, and the only ones I’ve found are A. Lacustris and A. Laevis. I can only put them in a 110 L community tank for now, but may have another option in the future. The tank is stocked with a large school of ember tetras, some rocket killies, some endlers, some tangerine tiger shrimp, and a pair of apistogrammas. Rare aqua advised that A. Lacustris would likely be eaten by the apistos, so the obvious choice would be A. Laevis, because they’re larger... right? But I’m worried that they might predate upon my shrimp, so wanted to hear some advice and opinions from more people with experience keeping these crabs.
      Cheers!
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, I’m really wanting to get freshwater crabs, and the only ones I’ve found are A. Lacustris and A. Laevis. I can only put them in a 110 L community tank for now, but may have another option in the future. The tank is stocked with a large school of ember tetras, some rocket killies, some endlers, some tangerine tiger shrimp, and a pair of apistogrammas. Rare aqua advised that A. Lacustris would likely be eaten by the apistos, so the obvious choice would be A. Laevis, because they’re larger... right? But I’m worried that they might predate upon my shrimp, so wanted to hear some advice and opinions from more people with experience keeping these crabs.
      Cheers!
  • Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• ineke
      Hi Crabby, I’ve been popping in and out quite often and answered a few questions here and there .  Im glad to have been of so assistance to fellow shrimp keepers over the years.  It’s a bit sad to see the forum so quiet. We were a very active and friendly bunch over the years. Helping each other out, giving away shrimp to new members who showed interest. Even playing games between us and generally having fun while learning about our new hobby. As to my tank the reason I queried about the spike of ammonia is mainly because if you play with substrate , move it around etc you can cause a small spike. As my substrate had been outside for quite some time I fully expected it to take a week or so to go through a mini cycle. I’m pleasantly surprised that it still isn’t showing any change just the tiniest bit of nitrate so tomorrow i will catch out 20 culls I have in my pond outside and see how they go. I need a reasonable number because it’s a big tank - if I only put 1 or 2 in I might never see them. I’m wanting to put all my black pinto, galaxy and Taitibees into the tank plus some Blue Bolts and Steel Blues. I will also put my Bloody Mary’s in for a contrasting colour. I only have 3 tanks now so it’s a bit hard to do proper selective breeding but as all my shrimp are hybrids it doesn’t really matter about mixing them. That leaves a tank for my Red pintos and Taitibees and a tank for fancy Tiger patterns and Blue Diamonds. That should keep me happy again.🥰
    • Crabby
      Hi Ineke! I must say, I was pretty surprised to see a post from you, it’s always pretty interesting to see a past member come back to the forum. Some of your posts were really helpful to me when I was getting started with shrimp, so thanks!   I think I would personally wait a week to be sure, but to be honest, I can’t see any reason for an ammonia spike. If the substrate has already run for 4 months, and you have 4 fully cycled filters, I reckon you should be fine. Definitely go culls first though. 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I uderstand your concern, it is concerning! You are probably just going to have to ride this out, as JayC, add another filter and bacteria, the bacteria you will just have to buy what the shop has and give that ago? Do as thorough vac as you can, moving things out of the way where you can. Keep up with water changes as well as that will reduce the ammonia etc, but add new water slowly. Simon
    • ineke
      Thanks Simon . I just needed someone else’s thoughts. I will pop a few culls in over the weekend if the ammonia hasn’t spiked. Better to be over cautious than sorry. It just didn’t seem right that there was no spike but I guess 2 large canisters full of bacteria are a big help too. I will let you know how the culls go after the weekend.  As you say sometimes things just go right but not very often when you have TB type shrimp involved 😳 No not really I’ve been very lucky over the years with no actual disasters with my shrimp.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I would thnk everything is ok as the sustrate was used and passed the point it may cause a spike, but just check it for a week (occassionally ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, you could leave it for the week but I would prefer the extra peace of mind you will have from more frequent testing for this week) and try some culls now to be on the safe side! Using the old water will have helped, undoubtedly! There doesn't sound like anything mentioned would cause anything other than what you have seen, but I understand your concern, rarely does everything go so well in this hobby, but with your years of experience and from your post all looks great - I will however keep my fingers crossed................ It is always great to have past members return and hear how it is going? I have read many of your old posts with interest. Simon