airedwin

CBS and galaxy pinto

airedwin

Hello, I just bought some black galaxy pinto and added them to my tank and I noticed I have one Crystal Black shrimp in this tank. Will they cross breed and if they do what will happen? I wanted to keep this tank to be black galaxy only.

• Like 1

jayc
3 hours ago, airedwin said:

I have one Crystal Black shrimp

It might not be a CBS. It might be a Panda  Taiwan bee shrimp.

If you want to keep the lineage pure black galaxy, then remove the Panda/CRS since it will affect the look of the galaxy shrimp.

• Like 1

airedwin
2 hours ago, jayc said:

It might not be a CBS. It might be a Panda  Taiwan bee shrimp.

If you want to keep the lineage pure black galaxy, then remove the Panda/CRS since it will affect the look of the galaxy shrimp.

Oh ok. That sucks, I have no where to put the CBS. I guess I will leave it in the tank and hope nothing happens.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

sdlTBfanUK

You need to decide what you want from the colony straight away as once it breeds with the galaxy pinto shrimp, which it obviously will, you will lose the purity (assuming the others have been pinto for a few generations) and that will mean you may get some interesting  and different colours and patterns, but should you then only want to concentrate on galaxy pinto you will have a very long laborious job to get them back to where they only produce pinto shrimplets - you may be talking years here!

This assumes you have pure galaxy pinto already and they aren't carrying mixed genes, so it also depends on where you got them from?

What you do is entirely your choice but don't just make NO decision and HOPE as you probably don't realise the work and time involved in the task if you change your mind later?

If you want to stick with the original plan of galaxy pinto only then it is much bettter to get rid of the other shrimp immediately! 

Simon

jayc
22 hours ago, airedwin said:

I have no where to put the CBS

You can always put it up on the Forum's RAOK (Random Acts Of Kindness) section for someone to take.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• jayc
      Failed moults are usually associated to Calcium content in the water. That is, your GH reading. Too much GH and the shells (and eggs) become too hard and moulting becomes difficult. The shrimp looses too much energy trying to moult. Too little and their shells don't develop properly causing deformities (maybe GH under 2). This is a long term affect, that is, if you see it, it's already too late and nothing you can do to help a shrimp that is having issues right now.   
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I'm not sure there woud be much you could do in that situation, hopefully someone else may have some ideas! The stress of the moving added to the waater change and  the mout is likey to be too much all in one go! Even without the obvious moult I woudn't personally expect all the shrimp to survive and usually a few disappear/die in the first 2 weeks! If you got them from a shop they have already beeen through a lot going from the breeders tank, transit, into shop tank (different water probaly), transit, into your tank (again new water) at the very least, there could even be another wholesaler to add to that? I always used to buy direct from hobbyist (ebay) which meant just going from their tank, transit (post), to my tank, but even then I usually lost a few in the first 2 weeks. I did once see a youtube video where someoone helped a shrimp moult by using tweezers but that is very fiddly, you would need to fish the shrimp out and put it into a smaller container, and it likely still wouldn't work, even if the shell were removed it may die in the next few days from stress......... If you try anything please let us know how it goes! Hopefully some others will have some ideas? On the ratio issue, most people would prefer more females to males as you only need the one male to breed with the females and you will get more baby shrimp the more females you have! There is probably another issue if they aren't breeding and you have both sexes? Simon
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Thats great news, thanks for etting us know! Simon
    • jayc
      Phew, glad it has ended well for you and the rasboras.
    • jayc
      I was quietly hoping you would write a guide. Well done, with the guide. The shopping list makes it very easy looking for parts.