CBS and galaxy pinto

airedwin

Hello, I just bought some black galaxy pinto and added them to my tank and I noticed I have one Crystal Black shrimp in this tank. Will they cross breed and if they do what will happen? I wanted to keep this tank to be black galaxy only.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, airedwin said:

I have one Crystal Black shrimp

It might not be a CBS. It might be a Panda  Taiwan bee shrimp.

If you want to keep the lineage pure black galaxy, then remove the Panda/CRS since it will affect the look of the galaxy shrimp.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jayc said:

It might not be a CBS. It might be a Panda  Taiwan bee shrimp.

If you want to keep the lineage pure black galaxy, then remove the Panda/CRS since it will affect the look of the galaxy shrimp.

Oh ok. That sucks, I have no where to put the CBS. I guess I will leave it in the tank and hope nothing happens.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

You need to decide what you want from the colony straight away as once it breeds with the galaxy pinto shrimp, which it obviously will, you will lose the purity (assuming the others have been pinto for a few generations) and that will mean you may get some interesting  and different colours and patterns, but should you then only want to concentrate on galaxy pinto you will have a very long laborious job to get them back to where they only produce pinto shrimplets - you may be talking years here!

This assumes you have pure galaxy pinto already and they aren't carrying mixed genes, so it also depends on where you got them from?

What you do is entirely your choice but don't just make NO decision and HOPE as you probably don't realise the work and time involved in the task if you change your mind later?

If you want to stick with the original plan of galaxy pinto only then it is much bettter to get rid of the other shrimp immediately! 

Simon

22 hours ago, airedwin said:

I have no where to put the CBS

You can always put it up on the Forum's RAOK (Random Acts Of Kindness) section for someone to take.

• Like 1