Jump to content

My Substrate Raises My Gh


Kevin Lopez
 Share

Recommended Posts

So ive recently bought 10 RCS and found out all about gh and kh. My kh was (3) drops and my gh was (22) i decided to buy some distilled water and slowly add it to lower my gh. Each gallon lowers about 2 gh which is great news! But i noticed each day i remeasured my gh it seemed to raise by 1 drop sometimes 2. I am currently testing the theory right now i have substrate in a cup with distilled water. If this is the case what should i do? There’s currently 2 inches of substrate its a 20 gallon tall i don't know what type of substrate it is i forgot. But if it isnt that what else could it be. Also i forgot to mention my tap water tests for (16) gh so obviously something is making it rise in my tank. I also dose flourish weekly and excel once every other day.

Edited by Kevin Lopez
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do you have rocks as decoration in the tank?

Rocks and gravel substrate are usually the culprit.

On rare occasions, those bio filter media rings have been know to raise GH/KH.

 

What you are doing to test, is the right way of doing it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We would probably need more to go on?

What is the substrate? Is it something bought from an aquarium shop or from a builders merchant, or elsewhere? How long has the tank been set up and running? What else is in the tank, rocks etc?

There is usually a corellation between TDS and GH so it would be much easier for you to use a TDS meter/pen, cheap and easier, and then just use the GH tester drops occassionaly.

Once sorted you can probably use water of 50/50 Tap water and RO/distilled water, that should give you GH 8? What you are doing is right, slowly reducing the GH but will only work properly when you have worked out (and amended) the problem.

Simon

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, jayc said:

Do you have rocks as decoration in the tank?

Rocks and gravel substrate are usually the culprit.

On rare occasions, those bio filter media rings have been know to raise GH/KH.

 

What you are doing to test, is the right way of doing it.

My gravel is eco complete i am using gh test kit from api

7 hours ago, sdlTBfanUK said:

We would probably need more to go on?

What is the substrate? Is it something bought from an aquarium shop or from a builders merchant, or elsewhere? How long has the tank been set up and running? What else is in the tank, rocks etc?

There is usually a corellation between TDS and GH so it would be much easier for you to use a TDS meter/pen, cheap and easier, and then just use the GH tester drops occassionaly.

Once sorted you can probably use water of 50/50 Tap water and RO/distilled water, that should give you GH 8? What you are doing is right, slowly reducing the GH but will only work properly when you have worked out (and amended) the problem.

Simon

Eco complete substrate bought from LFS 40lb  tank has been running for 3 months

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It sounds like there are different versions of eco complete. The cichlid version raises gh evidently. 

Keep on diluting! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Dsetz said:

It sounds like there are different versions of eco complete. The cichlid version raises gh evidently. 

Keep on diluting! 

Eco planted substrate 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Claims there are a whole host of minerals in it. I've kept RCS in super hard water also, they are not at their happiest. I'd just commit to changing it long term with small RO/distilled changes to avoid rapid swings from big changes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Dsetz said:

Claims there are a whole host of minerals in it. I've kept RCS in super hard water also, they are not at their happiest. I'd just commit to changing it long term with small RO/distilled changes to avoid rapid swings from big changes.

Should i just invest in a R/O unit? 😂

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suspect Dsetz has pinpointed the issue here.

My favourite substrate is very high with minerals etc and when new they advise 50% water changes every 2-3 days for the first 2 weeks to avoid a build up of minerals when first used,  so this may be what has happened here. Adding fertilizers will obviously add to this as well?

The neocaridina shrimp should be fine as long as you make any changes slowly, but they probably won't be too happy until it gets nearer their usual accepted ideal parameters. Just keep changing the water with RO/distilled water to slowly bring it down and the soil should deplete of the excess minerals with time. I wouldn't expect that you need the fertilisers at this point either with new substrate, or  maybe even at all depending on the flora you have in the tank as the substrate should have that covered?

It may be worth getting an RO unit long term as even when you get to the correct level your tap water is too high so you will either want to mix 50/50 tap/RO, or 100% RO plus remineraliser? 

Simon

Edited by sdlTBfanUK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah your always going to need to dilute that tap water. If it was a 5 gallon I might say no to an RO machine but a 20 may be thirsty. You can do the math to figure out whether it's a budget expense or not. I see a lot of like new used machines about.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Join Our Community!

    Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

  • Must Read SKF Articles

  • Posts

    • Shawn Lu
      About 3-4 weeks. It depends on your quality of water and the iodine of activated carbon.    
    • jayc
      Keep doing this, and feeding it the medicated food. If the shrimp doesn't eat the food within a day, remove it and feed new medicated food again the next day.   You sir, are a good candidate for an RO filter. Your shrimp are not going to like the hard water in the long term.
    • alkemist
      The shrimp is in a separate container, but it's been in there for a week or so now. I see it picking off the air stone and the sides of the tub. There is shrimp poop in the container, so it is eating, just not the food I give it. I suck out the detritus and excess food every couple of days and do small water change daily. At first I used tank water, since I don't run R/O. I use a combination of hard tap water with a little water ran through my water softener (I know it's a bit taboo to do). I don't know an exactly how to re-mineralize it to keep the shrimp from going into shock if I used straight clean tap water. I am starting to slowly remove the water from the tub and mixing it with direct tap water with the water softener on by-pass, so hopefully it can acclimate to full clean tap water. With the shrimp feeding, should I try to remove all visible signs of food and fast it for a couple days and then try again?
    • jayc
      Is the shrimp still in the main tank? Or have you moved it into a separate container? There should be no biofilm in a new container, and it should be hungry to want to eat the medicated algae wafer. It won't go away without treatment. The bacteria is not just on the shell (carapace), so moulting won't get rid of the bacteria.
    • alkemist
      I've tried to feed the shrimp food soaked in the oregano oil mixture (1 drop of oregano and 5 ml of water since it's 86% carvacrol). The shrimp seems to hate the taste of any food I put in there with the mixture. It goes off and tries to feed on anything but the medicated food. I don't have any other food in the tub and took all the floaters out but seems to be feeding on naturally growing biofilm now.. I'm not sure if I am seeing any results. Should the reddish brown spots go away on it's own or does the shrimp have to molt it off? I've noticed it's been scratching itself a lot.
×
×
  • Create New...