Taiwan bee starter what to expect?

herrwibi

Hi All,

I'm looking to start a TB colony , i've finally manage to nail down my CRS tank and have babies that are doing well and surviving now.

I was looking into getting KK,BB and some shadow pandas. What should i expect from breeding them? 

I'm not looking to go into selective breeding i just love the colours and its more of a peaceful hobby to me. I won't be starting this project for another month or so. 

Thanks.

• Like 2
Dsetz

Ultimately your offspring are patterned/colored like it's parents, so you probably won't have incredible deviations from the panda type, although color/hue could swing a little more imo with that combo. The black lines do have potential to throw most of the other morphs as I understand it, so you might get a random down the line.

Extreme blue bolt might be worthwhile for more color.

A mixed colony is terrific fun and you never really know what the melting pot will produce. I've got a mixed colony and at least 2 unique morphs out of it this far.

• Like 2
herrwibi
3 minutes ago, Dsetz said:

Ultimately your offspring are patterned/colored like it's parents, so you probably won't have incredible deviations from the panda type, although color/hue could swing a little more imo with that combo. The black lines do have potential to throw most of the other morphs as I understand it, so you might get a random down the line.

Extreme blue bolt might be worthwhile for more color.

A mixed colony is terrific fun and you never really know what the melting pot will produce. I've got a mixed colony and at least 2 unique morphs out of it this far.

What did you started with for your mixed colony ? As I say this is a hobby and I love beautiful bright colours . It's the reason why I'm looking into Taiwan bees. 

• Like 2
Dsetz

I purchased my colony second hand within the last month. I don't really know it's history but there were for sure black and red zebras to start. They are throwing decent galaxy patters and lots of fishbones. There are a handful of red and blue bolts, not sure if they were in there to begin with or not but there are some interesting colors emerging. Check my 1 post (lol) for a couple pics.

• Like 2
sdlTBfanUK

I started with 6 blue bolts, some red ruby, red wine and 3 blue steel and this is what I got, you don't know what you may end up with (and that adds to the excitement), it all depends on the genes the shrimp carry and there is little way of knowing that when you buy them.

Good luck with it and I look forward to hopefully hearing how it goes. 

Simon

1129623490_DSC00373-Edited.thumb.jpg.551caa015fa1220025a41575a9cc7ab1.jpg726042970_DSC00507a-Edited.thumb.jpg.5d4149c88c101c9e0c24a61e0021390e.jpg

1100358751_DSC00181-Edited.jpg.5da50b096cdc29eb6ef19ff6f6c04692.jpg1931741810_DSC00384-Edited.thumb.jpg.41cfe9e3d249b240cc76d3f63cb1adc2.jpg1870498535_DSC00395-Edited.thumb.jpg.2039f043048c3048ead6d9140f313e0b.jpg

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• sdlTBfanUK
      Really pleased to hear that your yellow shrimp tank is sorted now and you didn't even have to buy any new shrimps to repopulate, bonus! I hope the treatment of the CRS goes well, Ihaen't used any of those reatments so can't advise on those but would go with the info on the thread as that would be updated with the latest information/advice!  Simon
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I suspect the coral and egg shells have caused the GH to increase so I would just take those out and do a 50% slow water change! You will need to do water changes anyway whilst you're trying to re-cycle the tank, the treatments you used may have killed some of the beneficial bacteria, or it could just have been the chicken as you state? If the neocaridina were doing fine without the KH then it would be better to return to that set up, at least until you get it back to normal and stable. The important thing is not to make and big/sudden changes to the water parameters, the CRS will be more delicate than the neocaridina, but all shrimp are fragile creatures! Simon  
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Great to hear that you are sorted! I wouldn't have thought Cordoras would eat copepods but as long as it is working stick with it? Simon
    • ShrimpNoob9
      Hi everyone. I've been keeping caridinas and neocaridinas in the same tank for about 2 months now. My neocaridinas were doing very well. Everyone was molting at their own pace and was breeding like crazy. Then I did a stupid thing of leaving raw chicken bits. While my shrimps ate the chicken, 2-3 of them died after that. And now my tank is totally haywire. I've tried doing water changes, tried vacuuming the substrate. My tank parameters are also REALLY REALLY bad.  Nitrates 40 Nitrite 1 Gh >7 Kh 0 PH 6.8 CL 0 CO2 <15 My ammonia is <0.02ppm My tank contents are aragonite sand, black active substrate(in a glass container), coral chips, coral stones, cholla wood, fissiden moss, duckweed, Indian almond leaf, java fern, a money plant, marimo moss ball.  What can I do to make the nitrates and nitrites go away? And is my kh and gh making any sense? I tried adding coral stone, egg shells to increase my kh but it's not working. 
    • ShrimpNoob9
      Hi Simon, updates on the planaria and copepods. I tried using planaria trap and really screwed up the tank as I put raw chicken in the trap and when it wasn't trapping any planaria I took out the trap and left the chicken bits inside. I think they decomposed and caused a lot of ammonia as a few of my shrimps died(2-3). Then I used the benibachi planaria zero in the tank (did 2 water changes focusing on cleaning the substrate) and separated my snails and after two doses I don't see any more planarias. I also went to get 3 pygmy corydoras. That really made the copepods dissappear slowly but surely. Thank you so much for your help and advice!